PC Crashes on Terraria - Exceptions

Dal

Terrarian
Hi Terraria Community,

I apologize for my approximate English but I can't play Terraria anymore for several weeks...

About my PC :
- Windows 10 Professional x64 - Build 1709.
- Processor : i7 3930K / Ram : 32Go / Graphic Card : GTX 980.
- AntiVirus : Windows Defender (With Exception for Terraria)

On terraria, when I change a parameter and leave menu to save and come back to home menu to start a game, the application crash and display :
7Arnaud42-20180513-151049.png

7Arnaud42-20180516-184812.png

or

On Terraria, when I play a game (Single-Player or MultiPlayer), after 5 or 10 minutes Terraria crashes. I can play in Windows's events viewer this message :
7Arnaud42-20180513-151132.png

7Arnaud42-20180516-184603.png

Like other members of this forum, I'm looking for solutions and I've read many threads on this subject (Ex : Anyone know how to fix this?)

I tried to :
Verify integrity of game files.
- Uninstall/Reinstall Terraria.
- Uninstall/Reinstall .Net Framework.
- Disable Windows Firewall and Windows Antivirus / Add an exception in Windows Defender.
- Create a new character on a new world.
- Run Steam (And Terraria) as an Administrator.
- Allow "All users" to have Full Control on folder %MyUserFolder%\Documents\My Games\Terraria.
- Uncheck "Read Only" on folder %MyUserFolder%\Documents\My Games\Terraria.

Is there something else I could do to fix this problem?

Last edited:
Hello, sorry you're having problems. I'll try to be as clear as possible and hopefully the language barrier won't be much of an issue. If you need me to explain anything better just let me know. Sorry that you couldn't find a quick solution hopefully we can get this figured out for you. Let's go over a few more things that you can try that worked for other users.

1) Do you have a program called "Bit Defender" installed? This has been known to cause problems, if you temporarily turn it off do you still receive the problem? If so, or this doesn't apply to you move to step 2.

2) Delete a file called config.json located in %MyUserFolder%\Documents\My Games\Terraria then launch Terraria. If you still receive the problem proceed to step 3.

3) Open config.json using notepad or notepad++, look for a line that says "MapEnabled": true" and set it to false. If your problem persists move to step 4.

4) What happens when you disable Windows Defender completely? So instead of an exception temporarily turn it off, do you still get an error? If so proceed to Step 5.

5) What other 3rd party Antivirus solutions do you have running besides the default Windows one? If you temporarily turn them off do you still get the error? if you still need help proceed to step 6.

6) It could be some file corruption, lets scan your HDD through windows to see if any errors come up. To do this open a file explorer, right click your C: drive and select properties, then click the tools tab up at the top there should be something called "Error Checking" find this and click "Check". Let me know if it found any bad or corrupt files.

If somehow none of this works come back and let me know, if you have any questions on how to do any of the listed steps let me know and I will go into greater detail. If you don't understand something let me know and I'll get you pictures of what you're looking for.

Hello,
Thank you for you help. I contacted you as I couldn't find solutions on the Internet. So, I hope to find a solution talking with the Community ;)
Language will not be a problem! Just my English is... rusty?

About the different points you want to discuss :
1 - I don't use BitDefender anti-virus. I use Windows Defender in wich I add an exception on %MyUserFolder%\Documents\My Games\Terraria folder.
So, with or without an anti-virus, Terraria have the same issue.

2 - I deleted the file config.json. Terraria cretes a new file config.json. I've default parameters in game but the issue remains the same.

3 - So, I've set false at line "MapEnabled". I still get an error.

4 - I tried it! The answer is included in the first point : It doesn't solve anything.

5 - I've only Windows Defender. I have no third party application.

6 - I tried it! Windows told me the drive hasn't bad or corrupt files.

Interesting quite the conundrum.

It most certainly seems like an IO issue/permissions issue. Yet nothing we did solved it... Usually this error is solved by preforming a variety of things relating to turning off Antivirus and making sure we have the right permissions and ownership of the correct folders. So the fact that the problem persists is quite troubling.

So what if we enable compatibility mode for windows XP? Right click the Terraria application located in your install directory. Switch to the compatibility tab and click the checkbox that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and then lets try XP Service pack 2, 3, and then also Windows 7. (also make sure that run as administrator is on in conjunction with this in case that's going to make a difference.

If that doesn't work... maybe it's a steam cloud issue. Try turning off the steam cloud saving features in Terraria. To do this right click Terraria in steam and then select properties. Switch to the local files tab and make sure steam cloud is unchecked.

qJjHDSo.png

In the event neither of those work either go to control panel, and go to programs and features (where you would uninstall a program) could you get me a screenshot of all the software there? I wanna check the software individually against Terraria in case there's a conflict.

Sorry you were unable to find a solution in everything you tried so far hopefully one of these solutions work so we get you squared away.

Hello!

At the risk of repeating myself, thanks you for your help ;)
I tried your solution but nothing solve my problem.

But, I found client-crashlog.txt when I was looking for more informations. We could read :

16/05/2018 19:39:58
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: L'accès au chemin d'accès 'C:\Users\MyName\Documents\My Games\Terraria\Players\Dal\488d7623-a42e-4b57-b20b-074f964275af.map' est refusé.

So, I deleted my player before creating a new one.
Consequently, I was able to play for an hour. But when I tried to save and exit my world, Terraria crashed.

In client-crashlog.txt file, we could read now :
28/05/2018 23:03:53
System.InvalidOperationException: Begin cannot be called again until End has been successfully called.
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Begin(SpriteSortMode sortMode, BlendState blendState, SamplerState samplerState, DepthStencilState depthStencilState, RasterizerState rasterizerState, Effect effect, Matrix transformMatrix)
à Terraria.Main.DoDraw(GameTime gameTime)
à Terraria.Main.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
à System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
à Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)

Is there something else I could do to fix this new problem?

A user I worked with recently was able to solve his problem that was pretty similar, let's try what he did.

• Uninstall Terraria.
  • Delete Terraria's folder in \Documents\My Games
  • If Terraria still has a folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common delete it
  • Press start, search terraria if anything comes up, delete it.
  • Reinstall Terraria
Let me know if it crashes afterwards. We can take steps to recover your character afterwards. Provided we solved the crashes.

Also if it didn't solve your problem let me know if you have a modded Terraria or vanilla.

Back
Top Bottom