Creating a Texture Pack - A Guide for the Inexperienced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me, I have the PNG files downloaded, and can edit them in a program. But how do I re-insert them into the game upon completion for viewing tests?
you need microsoft xna studio, but its a hassle to get to work if you dont have the prper library files and framework files. it is really a pain to fine it all. i myself spent 5 hours just looking and searching on google what you need, but i did find one page that had everything listed that you needed exactly. ill try and find it.

is it me or are the "to be added" bits the entire point of a tutorial like this?

edit-:joy:/:p

Last edited:
is it me or are the "to be added" bits the entire point of a tutorial like this?

No it's not. Some people have never done this before. I'm a busy person with school and work and the "to be added" parts will be added when I have time.

also it looks like my images are broken and I need to fix those too

I have edited all the player sprites and can find no fault with them.
However, I still see the default skin in the background of my new one.
What's going wrong?

I'm not talking about how the helmet visor vibrates a bit, I know how to fix that.

Here are my sprites:
player_belt.png
Player_Eye_Whites.png
Player_Eyes.png
Player_Hands.png
Player_Hands2.png
Player_Undershirt.png
Player_Shoes.png
Player_Shirt_2.png
Player_Shirt.png
Player_Pants.png
Player_Head.png
Player_Undershirt2.png
Player_Hair_1.png

Can anyone explain?

Found the problem.
I only sprited textures that contained 'player_' as a prefix to whichever body part they represented.
There are three more with the prefix 'Skin_' instead.

Thanks for sharing this. Even thought I know how to make texture packs I couldn't find a working link to any XNB->PNG converter. Thanks again. But I suppose it's not a secret anymore that I'm working on something :/

So is it impossible to use a texture pack without XNA? Because XNA doesn't work on my computer for some reason.

you need to make sure you have the proper library files for xna. Like i said in a previous post it is a hassle just to get xna to work but once you do you are golden.it took me 3 hours of searching to make sure i had evething working just to edit terrarias files.
[DOUBLEPOST=1429355382][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks for sharing this. Even thought I know how to make texture packs I couldn't find a working link to any XNB->PNG converter. Thanks again. But I suppose it's not a secret anymore that I'm working on something :/

Im currently not at my computer but ill link you to one that works.

When I converted files into png using TCCL, nothing got corrupted for me. I don't know if something went wrong for you, but if this happens to other people, you might just need to redo the conversion.
[DOUBLEPOST=1429495332][/DOUBLEPOST]So, using TCCL you have to have XNA game studio in order to put them back? I am reading the comments and I think I misunderstood something

could someone please help me? i'm on a mac, and i can't convert
Wings_22.png
this image to a terraria sprite. can someone here do that for me? if yes, thanks!

have a problem, i cannot put textract on the folder, it opens the folder instead be there

Thanks dude

I'llbookmark this page and finally start making those texture packs!

If it just was possible to have custom languages...

I think I need to move on to modding

So... I'm new to re-texturing and I've already made PNGs I would like to use for Terraria... only problem being I have a windows 10 and Microsoft XNA studio isn't available for me to use... but it recommended visual studios 2015... and i have no idea how to use it... can anyone help me with using it to make XNB files or is visual studios a lost cause and should i find a different program?
[DOUBLEPOST=1448248996,1448248603][/DOUBLEPOST]*discovers TCCL*
*:D*
*finds out it's only available for 1.2.4*
*;(*

So... I'm new to re-texturing and I've already made PNGs I would like to use for Terraria... only problem being I have a windows 10 and Microsoft XNA studio isn't available for me to use... but it recommended visual studios 2015... and i have no idea how to use it... can anyone help me with using it to make XNB files or is visual studios a lost cause and should i find a different program?
[DOUBLEPOST=1448248996,1448248603][/DOUBLEPOST]*discovers TCCL*
*:D*
*finds out it's only available for 1.2.4*
*;(*
use this to convert back to xnb - http://sourceforge.net/projects/xnbbuilder/

also if you are having troubles -https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329493424

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom