Game Mechanics Creative Mode

nphelps220

Official Terrarian
WARNING: NOT EVERYONE WILL LIKE THIS IDEA. IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY, DON'T SAY IT.

So. Creative Mode in Terraria. For those of you who don't know, Creative Mode is a recurring concept in sandbox games in which a player, unhindered by enemies, can have access to any item in the game and is usually used for adventure maps. Due to the nature of Terraria, this mode would need to be very obscure and hard to unlock, and I think I know how to go about doing it.

CREATIVITY GLOBE

This accessory replaces the Gravity Globe in the Moon Lord's Treasure Bag if tje following conditions are met:

-The bag is opened in an Expert Mode world.
-The bag is opened by a Hardcore character.
-All of the achivements in Terraria are unlocked, with the exception of "Supreme Helper Minion" (because having to unlock that as well would just be cruel, like the achivement itself; there is a fine line between an achivement and a chore)

To unlock Creative Mode, equip the Creativity Globe on a hardcore character. Then, on the Character Select screen, hover over said character. Type: "WSAD" then hold the spacebar while entering your character. Enter your world, then die. When you respawn, you will be a ghost, but there are several differences:

-The crafting menu is replaced by a menu holding every single item in the game.
-The "ghost" is not deleted when exiting the world.
-The ghost character can place blocks and use items freely.
-The ghost character has a special buff called "Creative Spirit". This allows the ghost to place down blocks every frame, as well as letting him/her mine one block per frame as if using a much faster Shroomite Digging Claw (abeit one that can instantly destroy every block, including Lihzahrd Brick)
-The ghost character can still fly and noclip.
-The ghost character moves much faster, about the speed of a Mechanical Cart.
-The ghost character has access to several new items via the creative inventory: the Creative Manipulator allows one to give a weapon any damage value and assign any stat value to an NPC, and NPCs can be spawned from the inventory as if using a Statue. Additionally, an "Event Block" is added, which triggers a predetermined event when wired
-Right-clicking an NPC whilst holding an item causes said NPC to drop said item upon death
-The ghost lacks accessory slots
-The ghost cannot connect to multiplayer worlds

Please do not hate my idea. I try to balance it by making it ridiculously hard to obtain, meaning that you already need to have done everything you could have done (except become a Supreme Helper Minion, of course!) to unlock it. As such, it is nearly impossible to "accidentally" discover it!

I hope you guys like it!

WARNING: NOT EVERYONE WILL LIKE THIS IDEA. IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY, DON'T SAY IT.

So. Creative Mode in Terraria. For those of you who don't know, Creative Mode is a recurring concept in sandbox games in which a player, unhindered by enemies, can have access to any item in the game and is usually used for adventure maps. Due to the nature of Terraria, this mode would need to be very obscure and hard to unlock, and I think I know how to go about doing it.

CREATIVITY GLOBE

This accessory replaces the Gravity Globe in the Moon Lord's Treasure Bag if tje following conditions are met:

-The bag is opened in an Expert Mode world.
-The bag is opened by a Hardcore character.
-All of the achivements in Terraria are unlocked, with the exception of "Supreme Helper Minion" (because having to unlock that as well would just be cruel, like the achivement itself; there is a fine line between an achivement and a chore)

To unlock Creative Mode, equip the Creativity Globe on a hardcore character. Then, on the Character Select screen, hover over said character. Type: "WSAD" then hold the spacebar while entering your character. Enter your world, then die. When you respawn, you will be a ghost, but there are several differences:

-The crafting menu is replaced by a menu holding every single item in the game.
-The "ghost" is not deleted when exiting the world.
-The ghost character can place blocks and use items freely.
-The ghost character has a special buff called "Creative Spirit". This allows the ghost to place down blocks every frame, as well as letting him/her mine one block per frame as if using a much faster Shroomite Digging Claw (abeit one that can instantly destroy every block, including Lihzahrd Brick)
-The ghost character can still fly and noclip.
-The ghost character moves much faster, about the speed of a Mechanical Cart.
-The ghost character has access to several new items via the creative inventory: the Creative Manipulator allows one to give a weapon any damage value and assign any stat value to an NPC, and NPCs can be spawned from the inventory as if using a Statue. Additionally, an "Event Block" is added, which triggers a predetermined event when wired
-Right-clicking an NPC whilst holding an item causes said NPC to drop said item upon death
-The ghost lacks accessory slots
-The ghost cannot connect to multiplayer worlds

Please do not hate my idea. I try to balance it by making it ridiculously hard to obtain, meaning that you already need to have done everything you could have done (except become a Supreme Helper Minion, of course!) to unlock it. As such, it is nearly impossible to "accidentally" discover it!

I hope you guys like it!
Creative mode is actually a mode. It shouldn't make you have to complete the impossible. It should be some mode that you can choose from at the start of gameplay.

Honestly, I don't see why you would want to lock Creative Mode behind gameplay content at all. Creative Mode is meant to give people who are more inclined towards building and wiring a set of tools and freedom of distractions like monsters. They are not necessarily the same people who enjoy Terraria for the challenges of survival, so making Creative Mode a reward for those people doesn't help either group, I fear. Not only that, but beating the Moon Lord on Expert Mode is difficult enough as it is. I think the people who are capable of such a feat on Hardcore can be counted on one hand.

I really don't think the community will enjoy it if Re-Logic decides to implement the long awaited and requested Creative Mode and then locks it behind gameplay content, let alone with such fiendishly difficult requirements. I think a setting in the menu or on world gen will serve the game much much better.

I would not like it either, but here's the thing. If it was an option unlocked from the start, 99% of the time it would just be used by people to give themselves endgame items such as the Last Prism, completely ruining the game. If there was any way to have it unlocked from the start and simply have an anti-noob function, I would put it there...!

Wait, I just realised! How about this? Creative mode becomes avalible from the get-go. However, you can only place/use/summon/insert action verb here items you have already obtained. You will need to kill an enemy in order to become immune to it, and the same logic applies to bosses. Blocks cannot be broken until onw finds a pickaxe strong enough to mine it, to prevent premature Golem fights. In addition, the Creative Manipulator cannot be obtained until killing the Moon Lord. Thus, people can't just spawn in a Last Prism and be done with it!

I would not like it either, but here's the thing. If it was an option unlocked from the start, 99% of the time it would just be used by people to give themselves endgame items such as the Last Prism, completely ruining the game. If there was any way to have it unlocked from the start and simply have an anti-noob function, I would put it there...!

Wait, I just realised! How about this? Creative mode becomes avalible from the get-go. However, you can only place/use/summon/insert action verb here items you have already obtained. You will need to kill an enemy in order to become immune to it, and the same logic applies to bosses. Blocks cannot be broken until onw finds a pickaxe strong enough to mine it, to prevent premature Golem fights. In addition, the Creative Manipulator cannot be obtained until killing the Moon Lord. Thus, people can't just spawn in a Last Prism and be done with it!
You can always give you block and infinite pickaxe + axe + hammer power only, so if people want accessories/weapon they will have to get it themselves.

I'm certain that that EXACT idea has already been suggested. I can't find it right now, but I know it has been. :/

I would not like it either, but here's the thing. If it was an option unlocked from the start, 99% of the time it would just be used by people to give themselves endgame items such as the Last Prism, completely ruining the game.

I think it would be pretty easy to add preventive measures. For instance, Creative Mode wouldn't necessarily need a player character, it could just be a Paint tool like TEdit. Or you can simply flag Creative Mode items and remove them on world exit. Or even just not allow weapons to be spawned at all.

Kazzymodus, I was actually thinking about that:

PREFIX: "Creative"
A special prefix that can exist alongside other prefixes (i.e. Creative Unreal Celebration). Creative items will always dissapear upon exiting a world. If it was placed in a Chest, it will return to the last chest it was placed in. Only a Creative Mode character can place these weapons in Chests. The same goes for Item Frames and Weapon Racks.

Also, Mihn, the problem with your suggestion is that people can merely use their infinite pickaxe power to break into the Jungle Temple, fight the Golem early-on by filling a room with traps and then strafing, and instantly get good weapons (unless he drops a Picksaw, in that case, good for them.)

Then again... due to the fact that maps exist in the first place, even if creative mode had anti-cheat features people could just download a map with every item. Never mind.

Also, Mihn, the problem with your suggestion is that people can merely use their infinite pickaxe power to break into the Jungle Temple, fight the Golem early-on by filling a room with traps and then strafing, and instantly get good weapons (unless he drops a Picksaw, in that case, good for them.)
Disable mob spawn during CM. I mean, if you are building something, you wouldn't want mobs to come and annoy the :red: out of you. That will probably prevent cheating.

But all item maps/mod/inventory editor is a thing, so they can always do that and not wasting 30 mins to find a temple to get its loot.

Please, no creative mode. This has been implemented in many games, and it completely ruins the experience for the people who can't resist the temptation of playing it. Novelty is one of the most common desired traits in games. Creative Mode completely destroys that novelty. Nothing will ever be new. It won't be fun anymore. Minecraft did this bigtime, and the only reason that game's still standing is because of all the mods. A new mod equals novelty (and new stuff, which is also cool)! A similar thing also happened when the game Don't Starve added cheats, which ruined Don't Starve for me until I took a year long break from it, and came back with a pledge that I wouldn't use Console Commands. I understand why you would want this, but please don't. It would ruin the game for many people.

One suggestion would be to find/make a Terraria mod that adds Creative Mode. That wouldn't be nearly as damaging to the actual game.

Please, no creative mode. This has been implemented in many games, and it completely ruins the experience for the people who can't resist the temptation of playing it. Novelty is one of the most common desired traits in games. Creative Mode completely destroys that novelty. Nothing will ever be new. It won't be fun anymore. Minecraft did this bigtime, and the only reason that game's still standing is because of all the mods. A new mod equals novelty (and new stuff, which is also cool)! A similar thing also happened when the game Don't Starve added cheats, which ruined Don't Starve for me until I took a year long break from it, and came back with a pledge that I wouldn't use Console Commands. I understand why you would want this, but please don't. It would ruin the game for many people.

One suggestion would be to find/make a Terraria mod that adds Creative Mode. That wouldn't be nearly as damaging to the actual game.
I don't really understand your reasoning for this to make much sense. I mean, okay, the player would find out about everything, but so what? I don't know.

I don't really understand your reasoning for this to make much sense. I mean, okay, the player would find out about everything, but so what? I don't know.

The four types of gamers are the Achievers, the Explorers, the Socializers, and the Killers. The lack of novelty would completely drive away the Explorers, which would result in a decrease in many other fields. I've been designing games for eight years, I'm not just making these statements out of opinion. Again, I'm certain there's a mod somewhere that will suit your purposes.

the charts are bad
you can just kill the moon lord in expert mode with your main character , then give the treasure bag to a hardcore character
and why is it that complicated , like type wsad or something like that ?
also "supreme helper minion" is for no life gamers

Please realize that this is the internet and everyone has the right to criticize you for your suggestion if they don't like it.

With that said, I do not support this because giving the player OP abilities as a reward is going to destroy servers and ruin gameplay. Also, the required difficulty and time to unlock this is so great that few people will actually bother to get creative mode, leaving this feature mostly as fair game to griefers and inventory editors.

If creative mode exists at all, it should exist only as an option when creating a new world.

I honestly don't see the problem with creative mode being available from the get go. If there IS a creative mode, any and all gear/tiles/walls should be available, along with mob spawning (including friendly npcs). If somebody wants to cheat, why would you care? It's not like there's global leaderboards for terraria. As for people being tempted to cheat, that's like saying you shouldn't make videos of story heavy games because someone might get tempted and spoil themselves on the game.

How about when you make a character, you can set their difficulty mode as CreativeCore. This will limit the character to Creative worlds, worlds that have been made for creative mode. Only creativecore characters can access creative worlds. The world's tree image would be what the tree would be but a pixel painting of said tree. The option to make a world creative is by creating it with a creative character selected.

A second way it could be Done is by having creative core characters taint any world they enter and lock it off to normal characters FOREVER. The way this would work in multiplayer is that the server hoster would have to pre-taint the world for creative chars. To join.

Back
Top Bottom