Crimes Against Terraria Thread: stuff that would make the mods want to arrest you for in-game misdeeds

Cactus_Juice

Terrarian
I have a lot of things that enrage my friends when I play with them on our server. I do minor bad things, like not organize my chests and don’t fix craters in my house from accidental bomb throws, but that apparently is nothing compared to some of my actions which apparently pisses them off so much that I was jokingly banned:

I prefer controller binds to use Rod of Discord and other things with unlimited cursor range compared to m+k. Yes, I do play PC, but It just feels smoother to me to glide the crosshair slowly across the screen. I feel more precise that way. Narrowly dodging moon lord death beams gives me a thrill and it feels like cheating to use the mouse to quickly use the discord to basically be invincible.

What are your so called “Terraria crimes?” My friends can’t think of anything worse than what I do. Prove them wrong!

I'm using vanity slots as quickslots.

Also, using the Nurse during bossfights can be considered a crime as well, if she only had an other use though.

Last edited:
I too use the vanity accessory slots as extra/quick storage.

I am also one to put off terraforming arenas. Even when fighting plantera, I usually equip a dedicated melee set of armor and accessories and stand in one spot throwing vampire knives.

One of my biggest crimes, prior to the 1.4 updates, was probably "world hopping". It's something you can't really do often in multiplayer, 'less you're hosting a server, or aren't the Host & doing so won't break up immersion for everyone else; now that we've got Drunk Worlds though, it's not really necessary anymore. 😏🤷‍♂️

do subtle things like removing all of the logs on the surface so fairies can't spawn anymore, adding a block at the bottom of a elevator, leaving mines around a spawn bed, or leaving small holes in corruption/crimson barriers so it spreads through without anyone noticing.

Not something I've done, but I definitely feel it deserves mention here.
Putting doors on the sides of higher floors of their housebuilds, like not on the ground floors. It just annoys me so much seeing it.

[Past version; can't do this any more]

One of my characters fished up and saved so many crates that when hardmode arrived and she opened them, there was enough to make every hardmode-ore item without mining.

Fish 'n' cheese, mmm.

Accidents occur to each dog and cat until I get the ones with particular names. I don’t know how there just happens to be so much lava underfoot all the time, or wired boulder statues, but when doggo and catto friends join with particular names the lava and boulders disappears. Such a coincidence.

Accidents occur to each dog and cat until I get the ones with particular names...
Horrified_face_04a.jpg

One of my characters fished up and saved so many crates that when hardmode arrived and she opened them, there was enough to make every hardmode-ore item without mining.

Fish 'n' cheese, mmm.

Yeah, I loved that -- iirc, I was also the one who put that into the Wiki's progression guide. I'm not too surprised it got nerfed, but frankly fishing is still one of the most powerful mechanics in the game. In my current game, I came back from the Dungeon with a Shadow Key, and promptly opened the 15 Obsidian Lockboxes I'd saved up....

Hee! I've not played much lately, must see the new stuff. Now that we've reached Journey's End I needn't worry about an update making my latest-greatest character obsolete.

Fishing is powerful, but bor-ing. I occasionally do other things on the Mac while playing Terraria or other games on my Windows desktop.

Since I'm using the keyboard and mouse for something else (working), instead of clicking when I hear a splash, I tread on the kick pedal of my electronic drum kit (Alesis Strike Pro, very nice and sparkly, with Tama Iron Cobra 600 pedals). The kick trigger actuates the drum computer, which sends a signal to the iMac Pro, where a custom Soundigy MIDI Lab patch intercepts it, filters out any other drum-kit signals, and sends a different MIDI message over to the PC. A little homebuilt app on the PC catches the MIDI message and simulates a mouse click.

So that's around $16,000 of hardware and software… so I can fish using my right foot instead of right hand. I think that level of overkill qualifies for this thread.

[N.B.: The iMac Pro and drum kit are useful for other things too, when I'm not fishing.]

Last edited:
Hee! I've not played much lately, must see the new stuff. Now that we've reached Journey's End I needn't worry about an update making my latest-greatest character obsolete.

Fishing is powerful, but bor-ing. I occasionally do other things on the Mac while playing Terraria or other games on my Windows desktop.

Since I'm using the keyboard and mouse for something else (working), instead of clicking when I hear a splash, I tread on the kick pedal of my electronic drum kit (Alesis Strike Pro, very nice and sparkly, with Tama Iron Cobra 600 pedals). The kick trigger actuates the drum computer, which sends a signal to the iMac Pro, where a custom Soundigy MIDI Lab patch intercepts it, filters out any other drum-kit signals, and sends a different MIDI message over to the PC. A little homebuilt app on the PC catches the MIDI message and simulates a mouse click.

So that's around $16,000 of hardware and software… so I can fish using my right foot instead of right hand. I think that level of overkill qualifies for this thread.

[N.B.: The iMac Pro and drum kit are useful for other things too, when I'm not fishing.]

That's a hoot! I will say that if you're fishing in water for 20 minutes straight and blindly taking all catches, you're basically Doin' It Rong from the in-game perspective, even if it fits into your IRL workflow. If nothing else, that certainly won't let you rack up 3-4 copies of the Angler's quest fish to stash! (Fish-n-cheese indeed...)

I always have a reason for a fishing session: Angler quest, a particular catch, crates, and/or cash. Regardless, I specifically try to get at least two out of the three variable factors (weather, moon, or a lucky day), and then hit one of the daily "prime times" with a Crate potion. If conditions are still good after that, maybe a second Crate potion. Either way I use Sonar potions to not deal with the cheap fish. So that's mostly sessions of 4-5 minutes, or 8-9 minutes if things are going really well -- not nearly as boring!

Honey or lava are a little different -- in honey, I'm basically going for a stack or two of Honeyfins, but don't bother fishing past prime time. For lava I'll still go by crate potions, but everything I can catch is valuable, so I might just run out the Fishing potion without bothering with Sonar. (eta: Naturally, in honey Crate and Sonar are pointless, and a Fishing potion just helps speed.)

And now of course there's Blood Moon fishing... Sonar potions are mandatory, but I don't bother with Crate or Fishing potions, or with reeling in anything but crates or monsters. (eta2: I also skip the Fishing Armor, since I'm expecting a fight. The Angler suit is a big reason you want sheltered/secure fishing holes.)

Last edited:
I stop when a quest fish comes up, pop it into a chest or safe, and get back to the rhythm. Often there are fishes lying around all over the fishing shack's platform-floor that "bounced off" 'cos my inventory was full. I used to move the Dye Trader into beach huts so I could sell off surplus. Lots of dosh there.

Back
Top Bottom