Crimson doing serious damage to Jungle

BoldStep

Queen Bee
Hello! I need your help! My Crimson spawned on top of my Jungle and when I entered hardmode, it has already done a lot of damage to the first half of the surface. Its going to take a wile to get the steampunker and by then it would have probably destroyed the surface Jungle. I'm currently growing an Artificial Jungle but sadly the underground crimson spawned where it is. Is there anyway to save my jungle environment without cheating?

Hello! I need your help! My Crimson spawned on top of my Jungle and when I entered hardmode, it has already done a lot of damage to the first half of the surface. Its going to take a wile to get the steampunker and by then it would have probably destroyed the surface Jungle. I'm currently growing an Artificial Jungle but sadly the underground crimson spawned where it is. Is there anyway to save my jungle environment without cheating?

Dig a giant "U" around the affected area. Make it 5-blocks wide and line one of the sides of this tunnel with either Wood, Snow, or Ash. This will stop it from spreading further, but you must make sure you get the whole thing and don't allow any corrupted blocks on the other side of the quarantined area.

Or, simply, start another world. With Hardmode Equipment, getting a new world up to Hardmode is a 1-2 hour job depending on what kind of house you decide to build. If you do start a new world... quarantine the Corruption/Crimson next time, to prevent this from happening (though that won't stop the WoF's X from cutting through it).

Unless you can quarantine the Crimson I am afraid your surface Jungle might be doomed. A more important thing to save would be the Underground Jungle. Alternatively, if you believe there is no way you can salvage it, create a new world.

Some tips:
- Create tunnels to block the spread. Under normal conditions Corruption and Crimson (C&C) can't cross gaps 4 blocks wide. Abnormal conditions? See below.

- Keep in mind that plant-like background walls can spread corruption! This is very important to keep in mind when trying to save your jungle. C&C can cross your 4 block-wide gap if there are green jungle walls present that the C&C can use as a bridge. Carefully remove these walls with your hammer, not missing a spot. Found an area of infected background walls? Remove nearby tiles too, to see if there's more infected walls behind them (or clentaminate the heck out of them).
This turned out to be false.

- Vines spread corruption too! But only if the vine is growing down from a C&C grass block. If a healthy normal vine grows down and touches a C&C block, nothing will happen.
To stop those annoying vines from growing, create stone or platform ceilings.

- In the case of Corruption: The grass blocks grow annoying thorns in a ~5 block radius. These thorns infect too! It is very annoying to fight these. I have several maps where I thought I completely controlled the corruption, only to find new corrupted areas because I missed a single corrupted grass tile that decided to spread some thorns around itself, creating bridges.

- C&C won't pass through a glowing mushroom biome. You could create some mushroom borders in your jungle if you don't mind all the glowing.

- Keep in mind that more C&C or Hallow is created when you destroy an altar. You could think an area is clear, smash an altar and find out a week later that a certain area is completely C&C'd.

Last edited:
- In the case of Corruption: The grass blocks grow annoying thorns in a ~5 block radius. These thorns infect too! It is very annoying to fight these. I have several maps where I thought I completely controlled the corruption, only to find new corrupted areas because I missed a single corrupted grass tile that decided to spread some thorns around itself, creating bridges.

- C&C won't pass through a glowing mushroom biome. You could create some mushroom borders in your jungle if you don't mind all the glowing.

IIRC, Corrupted Thorns will ONLY grow from Grass.

If you line the whole corruption area with stone, wood, ice, ash, etc, there will be no thorns.

Also, about Mushrooms... might want to be careful with those. Some mushroom mobs can hurt-a-plenty, and you especially do not want Mushrooms near Jungle in the Underground, due to Fungi Bulbs and their ever more overpowered Giant variety.

Giant Fungi Bulbs launching homing projectiles at you while you're dealing with Moss Hornets, Turtles, and other such junk is the worst thing ever.

I'll try use bombs to dig the "U" because its faster and it will also destroy the background walls.

AFAIK, background walls don't matter, and a Mythril/Orichalcum Pickaxe or better should be plenty, but it is up to you!

Hope it works out for you.

Well, only certain kinds of walls.

I can tell you that it does not spread through dirt background walls... but I loaded up my world up and checked, there was indeed some corrupted grass background walls, and I suppose there is background stone, but that is very uncommon to see anywhere except inside the original corruption itself, as nearly all of the actual background walls in the underground are uncorruptable special walls, like gems, spider caves, etc.

So basically, only two walls can be corrupted and that's Grass or Stone.

I did some testing with the background jungle wall. I placed some jungle walls in a remote location and let it get corrupted by placing ebon blocks near it. After the walls were corrupted I removed the ebonstone and created some grass blocks near the walls.
A hour later and the grass still isn't corrupted so I think Xylia might be right. Which leads me wondering what else caused so many corruptions on a multiplayer map of mine.

I'll do another test later though, with jungle-grown walls, not jungle walls sold by the Dryad. Maybe that makes a difference.

Background walls do not corrupt things. Corrupt, crimson and hallow jungle walls are pretty much just there for aesthetics, a visual sign that the area is being eaten away.

Background walls do not corrupt things. Corrupt, crimson and hallow jungle walls are pretty much just there for aesthetics, a visual sign that the area is being eaten away.
I agree with you and Xylia. Tests in the jungle led to nothing.
Whatever caused corruptions on some of my carefully maintained maps, it certainly weren't background walls.

Thanks to the both of you. It'll save me a lot of wall removing in the future. :)

Spray the entire jungle area around the crimson with blue solution. Mushroom grass is immune to corruption and looks pretty :D

Sacrifices must be made. Separate the two biomes by using explosives. You can even do the "U" thing with explosives. Once there's a small amount of crimson in the jungle just mine it all away. As for the underground crimson, that artificial jungle is screwed.

I dig quarantines before I start hardmode using predictions based on the usual angle for the V or X is, then make tunnels to prepare, and if they're off by a bit I simply dig another. If done right, you can prevent pretty much any infection and stripmine the entire world at the same time.

But for your issue, listen to the demolitionist. Why purify when you can blow it up?

Are you guys saying "Why purify the world, when you can blow it up?":dryadeek: You know there is purification powder.:dryadhappy:
That works for the Dryad.

Back
Top Bottom