tModLoader Crimson Overhaul

Tunafish12

Official Terrarian
Hello! I am making a mod to overhaul the crimson, loosely based on the Mystery Flesh Pit National Park, a Reddit worldbuilding project started by u/strangevehicles. My mod aims to make the crimson a much more visceral experience. See, in the lore, the crimson is a biological organism. But it barely has the things you’d expect from literally going inside a superorganism! I aim to change that. Expect pools of blood and ichor, walls made of flesh instead of weird red rocks, bone spikes instead of trees, and giant mouths and digestive tracts instead of the weird cave things we have now. Also expect new enemies and items (no new boss is planned right now).
ALL SPRITES ARE WIP AND NOT THE FINAL STATE. This mod is in its infancy at the moment, and is the first major mod I’m doing (I’ve only done small mini biomes for personal enjoyment before).
Any coding/spriting contributions are welcome, reach my via my discord (in profile). Right now, I’m aiming for a 1.0 version by summer 2021.
4B0584AA-F874-4DE9-9A14-BC6BF16A2475.jpeg

Fused Eye
32D2D154-E701-4974-AFB1-BB1E87C3C115.jpeg

Crimson Buboe (replaces crimson hearts, small, mammalian style hearts don’t make sense for an organism this large)
F84AC998-A81C-4BD8-A505-1BDADFD7C0A5.jpeg

Very early design worm enemy
B69F3CEF-4058-4450-8882-32D95F768C09.jpeg

Design for the cartilage caverns mini biome (may or may not be in final version)
8FB042E6-ABD4-4AD5-99E2-F0AC524580E1.jpeg

Bruise Block (not nearly complete)
78EA6F5E-9EF5-4ABA-902B-B184689A18A6.jpeg

Bone Spikes, replace crimson trees and can grow underground.

Crimflesh blocks, first pass. The edges are where the blocks would meet air, they are separate because they aren’t visible when blending with other crimflesh and bruise blocks. These will replace crimstone
101C9A0A-131B-437C-B787-440DCB801F85.jpeg

Not sure how these would look in-game. would be nice to see some screenshots like that too, once you can make such.

Also, I think I wouldn't replace shadewood trees with bone. The red leaves of shadewood also adds to the crimson being crimson-red, I think. however, if you can do that, the bone-spike could be an interesting alt, that grows on crimstone, rather than on crimson grass. I think.

There are already bone blocks ingame, i think it would look nicer if you coded so bones made from those blocks are created in worldgen.

There are already bone blocks ingame, i think it would look nicer if you coded so bones made from those blocks are created in worldgen.
Bones are locked behind skeletron (except for drunk worlds), and they are materials for some mid-late pre-hardmode stuff. so it could affect the progression, if you can get them so early-game.

Not sure how these would look in-game. would be nice to see some screenshots like that too, once you can make such.

Also, I think I wouldn't replace shadewood trees with bone. The red leaves of shadewood also adds to the crimson being crimson-red, I think. however, if you can do that, the bone-spike could be an interesting alt, that grows on crimstone, rather than on crimson grass. I think.
That thing about the shadewood makes sense now that I think about it. I’ll probably modify the sprites a bit, maybe with veins and flesh going up the tree, like some unholy amalgamation of plant and animal

Bones are locked behind skeletron (except for drunk worlds), and they are materials for some mid-late pre-hardmode stuff. so it could affect the progression, if you can get them so early-game.
The bones you get will be separate items and blocks called “porous bone” so as not to mess up progression. Sorry, probably should have specified that

Sprite quality could be improved, but this is a wonderful start of something that could be turned into a "mandatory" mod.
Love what I see, hopefully something comes out of it!

to add onto my last comment, don't completely wipe tree's off the crimson biome.
Bring variation in the tree's with bone spikes, the tree's themselves, and fleshy/muscle based structures to mimic existing tree's. Muscle is a strong bundle of cells, making an interesting replacement for wood!

Thanks for your interest! I am fairly new to spriting, but expect multiple passes on each sprite before it’s complete.

and yes, based off feedback I’ve gotten here and on discord, It’s likely that I’m going to very the tree sprites with fleshy parts and stuff

Last edited:
Crimtane Chopsword (technically an axe, but designed as a viable melee weapon)
95035CFA-7B0C-446B-9936-4CE3FE2AE1B0.jpeg

The idea is that this can be found in a similar manner to the enchanted sword, stuck in a mound of flesh as if someone tried to chop it and got it stuck

Announcement: I will likely have in game screenshots of a few select blocks and items tomorrow or the day after.

Neurobow. Dropped from BoC with a 15 percent chance, turns wooden arrows into Tissue Arrows, which have a limited homing capacity. By limited, I mean they can turn to follow enemies and stuff, but don’t have the degree of agility as things like the flamelash, so they can’t perform any crazy maneuvers to hit enemies. Can be upgraded post plantera into the Cortex Bow
A9FA850B-65CF-4122-965C-5FFAC21F2D81.jpeg

I was a little skeptical at first , but this seems like a pretty good mod. In the future, I would recommend grouping up announcements and/or making the images much smaller.

Back
Top Bottom