Crimson spawning in my Corruption world?

Snurfsnarf

Terrarian
Hello, I have logged over 500 hours on Terraria, but have recently stumbled upon something completely unrecognized. Despite having a Corruption world, my friends and I have discovered Crimson blocks in our world more than once. Yes, this is a multiplayer world, but it is private (only a few friends are using it), and none of us have ever brought in anything from other worlds. We first discovered several blocks of Crimstone in our Jungle, and sure enough, the Dryad told us that our world had 1% Crimson. We quickly took care of it with Purification Powder (this was after WoF, but before the Clentaminator). Some time later, the Dryad began telling us that our world had 1% Crimson AGAIN. We eventually discovered a large amount of Crimson that had spread significantly in a completely different location in our world. This was nowhere near the original Crimson blocks. But again we took care of it, and again the Dryad stopped speaking of Crimson.

For quite some time, we had no Crimson in our world until today when the Dryad, once again, notified us of 1% Crimson in our world, and once again, and it was in a completely different location.

V32Hbez.png

This was clearly not a case of simply missing a block or two, because this spawned in multiple locations within a close vicinity. (There were a couple other blotches of Crimstone off-screen.) And yet, even after Clentaminating all of this, the Dryad STILL says we have 1% Crimson.

Our first thought was that breaking a Demon Altar somehow glitched and spawned Crimson in our world instead of Corruption. However, all of these other Crimson appearances have been long after our last Demon Altar was broken.

Now, up to this point, I was not sure if I should be posting this in the Bug Support subforum due to the random nature of this and how difficult it would be to replicate it. However, I have had my server up while typing this, and after finishing the first paragraph...

WJco5vb.png

...the Brain of Cthulhu spawned. By itself.

We did nothing to spawn it. My friend and I were just chilling at our home. I checked the minimap, but the Brain of Cthulhu was nowhere to be found.

We are freaking out now. It started out as an annoyance, but now we're kind of scared. My next order of business will be to download a program that allows me to view the world and see if I can find anything bizarre. I apologize if this belongs in the Bug Support subforum, but since I see no way of replicating this for the time being (and because the Brain spawn hadn't happened until after I started typing all of this), I am not really sure which is more appropriate.

Any insight is appreciated. I apologize for the large amount of text, but I wanted to provide as much information as possible.

One of your friends should really be keeping jokes. Or, maybe something really glitched/bugged with your world. Anyways, quite interesting, and a bit scary...

I think it's most likely that someone was placing blocks intentionally. And if BoC was summoned, someone probably used a Bloody Spine.

That aside: Are you using mods? Have you been smashing altars?

I am not using any mods, and no altars have been smashed since before the first Crimson sighting.

I don't think anyone has been placing blocks because one of the Crimson appearances was in a cave that had not yet been discovered. There is no way they could have accessed that area because there were no tunnels there, and no torches or signs of meddling.

For a quick update, I loaded the world in a map viewing program and found a tiny floating island that one of us made and forgot about that had been overtaken by Crimson. According to this program, that was the only source of Crimson left in our world. The thing is, it was isolated enough so that no Crimson could possibly spread from it. Additionally, it was too small to constitute a Crimson biome, which has me wondering how the BoC could've spawned in the first place.

And in regards to the BoC actually spawning... well, the message appeared notifying us of its spawn, but its icon was nowhere on the map, and it was never killed or even found. And when it spawned, the only other friend on the server at the time has never even heard of the Bloody Spine item.

We are all very close friends, and none of us have any tendencies to pull this kind of stunt, but I'm at a loss for answers. BoC spawn aside, is there any way that Crimson could appear in a Corruption world without transferring items over?

EDIT: Oops, I replied to the wrong comment. My apologies.

We are all very close friends, and none of us have any tendencies to pull this kind of stunt, but I'm at a loss for answers. BoC spawn aside, is there any way that Crimson could appear in a Corruption world without transferring items over?
Generally speaking, no. It shouldn't occur without player intervention. The only things I can think of are:
  • Smashing an altar. It shouldn't generate Crimson in a Corrupt world, but possibly there is a bug there.
  • Entering hardmode. Again, it shouldn't generate a Crimson stripe in a Corrupt world.
In the world viewer, does it say if your world is a Crimson world or a Corrupt world?

In the world viewer, does it say if your world is a Crimson world or a Corrupt world?
Yes, it is viewed as a Corrupt world when selecting it. The dungeon had a Corrupt chest, and the world spawned with Corruption, too. Crimson didn't appear until after starting hardmode.

An update on the second part of your enquiry:
...the Brain of Cthulhu spawned. By itself.

We did nothing to spawn it. My friend and I were just chilling at our home. I checked the minimap, but the Brain of Cthulhu was nowhere to be found.
I still believe someone used a Bloody Spine to summon it. But as of 1.3.1:
"Brain of Cthulhu & Eater of Worlds now properly leave upon massacring the player / if the player leaves their territory."
I interpret -- but have not tested -- this to mean that BoC despawns if not summoned in the Crimson. (Similar to how EoW depsawns if not in the Corruption.) Also possible is that someone summoned it far away from other players and then teleported. With no nearby players, BoC would despawn. In both cases, you'll get a summon message but no boss.

What is so tough to see here? All you need to do is place one block of crimson type and it will spread on its own in hardmode. So, someone decided to place crimson.

What is so tough to see here? All you need to do is place one block of crimson type and it will spread on its own in hardmode. So, someone decided to place crimson.
The problem is the fact that no one is admitting to doing that, nor is anyone in my group of friends the type of person to pull that kind of stunt. I won't completely eliminate the possibility, but I wanted to know if there were other potential possiblities before jumping to a conclusion.

The problem is the fact that no one is admitting to doing that, nor is anyone in my group of friends the type of person to pull that kind of stunt. I won't completely eliminate the possibility, but I wanted to know if there were other potential possiblities before jumping to a conclusion.

I have never had the instance of having both Crimson/Corruption with out me using contaminator and the items. So here are the possible options:

• You had TShock or modified server/client to get both in there.
  • You or another player placed a crimson type block and it spread eventually.
  • You or another player used Crimson Solution for Clentaminator.
I will test and see if spawning the brain with the clentaminator is possible.

I will test and see if spawning the brain with the clentaminator is possible.
The Clentaminator doesn't break Shadow Orbs / Crimson Hearts, even if you spray the area with Hallow. However, I don't know the effect of covering an area in Crimson and then breaking a Shadow Orb in it - I haven't tried this. I assume it would still spawn EoW, but if EoW isn't in the Corruption, it runs away and despawns.

Alright, so more stuff has unfolded, but it sounds so ridiculous that I don't even think I should share it. Several seemingly disconnected "glitches" are just too related. I don't know how any of this is happening, but it's probably the fault of another player. I'm sure glitches are at least somewhat related (the random BoC spawn still makes no sense to me), but my friends and I all feel like we're being Punk'd right now. If you genuinely want to know what happened, I suppose I could disclose, but it has reached the point where I no longer want to know what (or who) is causing all this.

I apologize for this weirdness, but I do appreciate everyone who provided insight.

Feel free to share details, if you want to!
Some of them might be genuine bugs, some might be someone playing tricks. It might also make a good story! :)

You could also post the world file. Someone else might be able to reproduce bugs on it.

Something else I thought of: if no players in-game are doing this, could someone be using a world editor? Maybe the server is not as private as hoped?

Feel free to share details, if you want to!
Some of them might be genuine bugs, some might be someone playing tricks. It might also make a good story! :)

You could also post the world file. Someone else might be able to reproduce bugs on it.

Something else I thought of: if no players in-game are doing this, could someone be using a world editor? Maybe the server is not as private as hoped?
It's not a bug.

Okay, so now something has happened and now I feel like I HAVE to bring it up. So, in my last post, I mentioned that something stupid occured and now I feel silly for having brought this up in the forums. Basically, a friend of mine discovered a Crimson Heart item (the light pet) in one of his chests, seemingly from nowhere. Then, another friend discovered a Brain of Cthulhu mask in his piggy bank. So we're already miles from glitch territory at this point.

Now, today, I received this message:

zN6L6wl.png

This is what our lives have come to. The Crimson has spread to the real world.

Anyway, I'll stop now before this gets too off-topic. Just thought you'd all enjoy.

Hi!! Sorry, to comment on an old post, but I'm having the same problem, just a little bit different. I am playing on a single player Corruption world, (brought in a few items from another world, but nothing Crimson related.) and I was exploring some of the underground Hallow, near a marble biome when I found a huge space of Crimson. I don't know how to make a world public, so it was no one messing with me, and I have not placed down any crimson blocks, (can't access the Clentaminator yet) and am already having enough trouble trying to keep the Corruption from spreading too near to my spawn.

EDIT: Sorry for posting this! I'm slightly new to Hardmode, and in low lighting, thought it was Crimson. It turns out it was just ice blocks that had been infected with the Hallow... Sorry :/

Last edited:
Hi!! Sorry, to comment on an old post, but I'm having the same problem, just a little bit different. I am playing on a single player Corruption world, (brought in a few items from another world, but nothing Crimson related.) and I was exploring some of the underground Hallow, near a marble biome when I found a huge space of Crimson. I don't know how to make a world public, so it was no one messing with me, and I have not placed down any crimson blocks, (can't access the Clentaminator yet) and am already having enough trouble trying to keep the Corruption from spreading too near to my spawn.
Is this vanilla or modded client of Terraria?

Back
Top Bottom