Hot Topic Corruption Vs. Crimson

Corruption or Crimson

• Total voters
but the damage reduction that may just be me but thelate game enemies are all immune to confusion and worm scarf is good til endgame
The Confusion effect is useless. The dodge chance provided by the Brain of Confusion is 1/6, which is around the same as the Worm Scarf's 17% damage reduction. However the BoC also negates knockback when you dodge hits, and provides a bit of crit chance after dodging.

but the damage reduction that may just be me but thelate game enemies are all immune to confusion and worm scarf is good til endgame
The Brain of Confusion initially only had the Confusion effect, so for a long time, the Worm Scarf was superior. The dodge change mentioned by Dreadnautilus5000 was added in 1.4. But there are still a lot of older posts that say the Worm Scarf is better based only on the Confusion effect.

Personally I still think a flat damage reduction is better than a 'maybe' chance of dodging an attack. The usefulness of the dodge depends on what you are dodging. Dodging a death laser would be very helpful. Dodging a slime, not so much.

Correction. I really like the look of the worm scarf, and like most of my world gen preferences, it wasn't in my first ever world, as that one had crimson.

Personally I still think a flat damage reduction is better than a 'maybe' chance of dodging an attack. The usefulness of the dodge depends on what you are dodging. Dodging a death laser would be very helpful. Dodging a slime, not so much.
BoC synergyzes really well with new armor effects like holy protection of hallowed armor or beetle endurance of beetle armor. To charge the buffs, you need to avoid damage, which BoC and ninja gear help with a lot, and then they also help you too keep the buff longer. Sure, the dodge is random, but combined with guaranteed dodge from hallowed armor you dodge quite a lot.

Hmm biome wise I like both but in terms of aesthetic Corruption looks better extending much more naturally into other biomes and feels far more natural like an invasive ecosystem rather than a sinister evil force. The enemies are split between converted creatures and more consistent denizens World Feeders also spawn at the surface unlike Ichor Stickers and Tainted Ghouls which can only spawn underground in their respective environments (Though for some reason they can't inflict cursed flames since they always drop from the head it would only make sense for the head to inflict cursed inferno but I digress.

The lore for Corruption is just plain stupid however failing to fit the biomes actual behavior in game as well as the supposed governing evil will involving a stupidly unfeasible rationale that happens to also misconstrue how diseases work and what cancer actually is. I wish it would get reworked to be more sensible.

Above ground the topography of the Corruption is much more complex and interesting though Crimson arteries are much easier to explore

Now comes the materials Crimtane does look better than Demonite in its raw ore form but is definitely inferior as are all the weapons because for some reason relogic wanted to make one objectively better which kind of ruins the whole notion of alternates. aesthetically Corruption building materials almost always look better than their crimson counterparts. In particular Corruption trees look better as does the texture of ebonstone which meshes with other blocks far more naturally (though make sure biome spread is turned off before you start mixing things with mud) and building materials look so much nicer than their crimson counterparts

In terms of their below ground counterparts I think I prefer the Crimson flesh chasms slightly more than the Corrupt Caverns(though if lava glowed green in the corruption this would be likely reversed its basically down to the Music really that Crimson wins with as both cavern variants look nice with their respective stone variants). However rather than both being wholly separate they actually mix fairly well to make a very exceptionally dangerous environment as each provides enemy AI variants generally lacking in the other Biome. Clingers become much more dangerous when Ichor Stickers inflict ichor and the Crimson actually having aquatic enemies thematically makes water in the crimson seem less boring.

In terms of crossing with other biomes Neither evil seems like it really mixes well with Snow since the only thing gained is Pigron variants (Hallow however does fit well with ice thanks to the crystals meshing well together) and both mix well with Deserts though the desert biomes is largely self contained and self similar as distinct dark deserts for either evil as the only change beyond aesthetics is the type of Ghoul, Sand Shark and Mummy respectively.

BoC synergizes really well with new armor effects like holy protection of hallowed armor or beetle endurance of beetle armor. To charge the buffs, you need to avoid damage, which BoC and ninja gear help with a lot, and then they also help you too keep the buff longer. Sure, the dodge is random, but combined with guaranteed dodge from hallowed armor you dodge quite a lot.
Good points Also lets not forget that nowadays we can get both! (Though only in hardmode unless playing a drunk world) Would probably be quite amazing if we could combine them with the Shield of Cthulhu and say some boss souls. But this has digressed off topic.

Honestly, as of rn I’m digging the Crimson. Even though I started off in 1.1 on the PSVita (lol) and have a big sentimental bias for the corruption, I think as of rn I have been liking the crimson given my play style! Crimson Armor’s health regeneration abilities are just sooooo good, I love the Dart Pistol + Ichor darts combination, Vampire Knives are still great, and overall I’ve been digging the Brain of Confusion over the Worm scarf now that I’ve been focusing less on reducing damage and more on avoiding taking damage in the first place

Ahh yes, the debate of the ages. Purple or red. Large Brain or Large Worm. Crimeras or Eaters of Souls. A gun from centuries ago or a boring revolver with a cool name. God blood or Some weird green fire. For me, I could go for both, but I know some people like Chippy are Corruption till the end. There's the Theme; Bloody fleshy stuff or Brownish, pus-dripping, decaying bodies, The music; Jazzy and Spooky or Horrifying and Nightmare inducing, The weapons; Slower but more powerful or Faster but weaker, And the enemies; Spiders and umm.. Octopi filled with god blood or Worms and Flying thingies. Also, I would love it if you would post your Reason/Pro's and cons of your choice in the comments! The choice is yours, ladies and gentlemen! But choose wisely.

Honestly with the ability to buy the opposite evil seeds in a graveyard in hardmode, there isn't that much difference between the two. Usually I just pick based on shadow orb/crimson heart drops or mimic drops (takes too long to farm opposite evil mimics). Crimson for summoner (easier boss, berserker's glove) and ranged (easier boss, dart pistol), corruption for mage (vilethorn, clinger staff), either for melee (not a fan of either mimic weapon, scourge and vamp knives are both insane). On classless runs, I typically leave it random but I prefer corruption (musket, clinger staff, scourge is more fun for me).

Crimson is imo just better. Much less irritating terrain, better gear in almost every respect (the two exceptions being Vilethorn and Musket), less enemy spam, a more fair and predictable boss… and every hardmode advantage of corruption is either available in crimson worlds anyway from the dryad or has the unfortunate luck of contending with Vampire Knives.

Also fun fact: corrupt statues drop rotten chunks in prehardmode crimson worlds, but there is no crimson enemy statue which drops vertebrae in corruption worlds, meaning you can actually get all of the vanity contest sets in a prehardmode crimson world, but NOT in a prehardmode corruption one.

This last point is more personal preference, but in my opinion corruption isn’t dissonant enough from the rest of the game to really feel truly alien or threatening, while crimson really excels in that department while also having a much less cliche theme.

In summary, I simply have no reason to choose corruption. I play classless all the time so there’s no point in choosing the spammier and more irritating terrain of corruption just for a single magic weapon and ranged weapon I’ll quickly replace, especially when it means forgoing things like Crimson Armor for an objectively worse option. Scourge of the corruptor isn’t even anything special, it’s just yet another homing projectile weapon, and not even a particularly effective one.

If you choose corruption I’m fine with that, but I have difficulty believing it’s for any reason other than nostalgia or atmosphere (which imo doesn’t do a good job at all of making the player uncomfortable compared to its counterpart). Any cons of crimson are either a stretch, entirely subjective, or simply don’t outweigh the benefits enough to decide your playthrough against it’s favor.

Also, in my opinion, chippy never has any idea what he’s talking about when it comes to what’s effective in this game, but what do I know I’m just some weirdo on the internet who can’t decide if he’s a plant-like frog or draconic beetle thing.

Last edited:
Crimson is imo just better. Much less irritating terrain, better gear in almost every respect (the two exceptions being Vilethorn and Musket), less enemy spam, a more fair and predictable boss… and every hardmode advantage of corruption is either available in crimson worlds anyway from the dryad or has the unfortunate luck of contending with Vampire Knives.

Also fun fact: corrupt statues drop rotten chunks in prehardmode crimson worlds, but there is no crimson enemy statue which drops vertebrae in corruption worlds, meaning you can actually get all of the vanity contest sets in a prehardmode crimson world, but NOT in a prehardmode corruption one.

This last point is more personal preference, but in my opinion corruption isn’t dissonant enough from the rest of the game to really feel truly alien or threatening, while crimson really excels in that department while also having a much less cliche theme.

In summary, I simply have no reason to choose corruption. I play classless all the time so there’s no point in choosing the spammier and more irritating terrain of corruption just for a single magic weapon and ranged weapon I’ll quickly replace, especially when it means forgoing things like Crimson Armor for an objectively worse option. Scourge of the corruptor isn’t even anything special, it’s just yet another homing projectile weapon, and not even a particularly effective one.

If you choose corruption I’m fine with that, but I have difficulty believing it’s for any reason other than nostalgia or atmosphere (which imo doesn’t do a good job at all of making the player uncomfortable compared to its counterpart). Any cons of crimson are either a stretch, entirely subjective, or simply don’t outweigh the benefits enough to decide your playthrough against it’s favor.

Also, in my opinion, chippy never has any idea what he’s talking about when it comes to what’s effective in this game, but what do I know I’m just some weirdo on the internet who can’t decide if he’s a plant-like frog or draconic beetle thing.
Sir... You may have just single-handedly persuaded me to vote Crimson! Good day to you sir!

Crimson is just better in every relevant way.

First of all, the obvious: Ichor and Vampire Knives. The best player debuff in the game and the most busted defensive item in the game by a long shot. It doesnt help that Cursed Inferno and the Scourge are rather mediocre.

In preHardmode Crimson armor has a nice niche as a defensive set, much better than whatever Shadow Armor is trying to be. And obviously Crimtane items have a slight edge in base stats over Demonite.

Biome mimics: Chain Guillotines are decent but outclassed by everything in the book, Fetid Baghnakhs have potential to be abused to kill bosses in mere seconds, one is clearly better than the other. Dart Rifle has a worse stat distribution than Dart Pistol (its better to be faster though it doesnt really matter that much).

Clinger Staff is... actually very good. Arguably better than Life Drain against enemies, and while the latter is far from a bad weapon lets give the point to corruption.

Ichor Darts have insane single target damage potential. Cursed darts are very good, but outside of Destroyer they are outclassed by Crystal Darts smart bouncing. And yes they are great against destroyer but lets be real, thats far from being unique to this weapon.

Ichor Bullets are more damaging than Cursed, and Ichor Arrows come with a free magic quiver velocity boost; outside of the three bows that would rather have a tiny bit more base damage Ichor arrows are much better.

Putrid Scent vs Flesh Knuckles is... tricky. Putrid Scent by itself is a better item, but in the bigger picture its a decent item and nothing more, but then stacking Recon Scope with Sniper Scope is rather nice. However Berserker's glove is the best accessory for whips in the game, and I think thats a broader niche than just slightly more % DPS boosts in post plantera.

Mathematically Worm Scarf and Brain of Confusion are practically the same defensively (17% dr vs 16.67% chance to dodge an attack) and the latter's additional bonuses (the confusion and the crit) are negligible, so it comes down to whether you prefer the consistency or the longer iframes after a dodge. No clear winner here.

Corruption does have a pair of advantages in preHardmode, but none of these shine so much. All shadow orb weapons are much better than their Crimson counterparts, but at the end of the day these arent the best of their tier and tend to get outclassed by other options (with the possible exception of Vilethorn).

Corruption has Devourers and Worm Teeth, but these only make Thorns potions (one of the worst in the whole game) and Unholy Arrows (of which you barely get any of, and get outclassed by Jester's anyways). Eaters of Souls drop Ancient Shadow Armor, but its drop rate is so low that farming for the set is more trouble than it's worth. Burgers are a T3 well fed that is relatively easy to amass, but realistically you are going to fish for Seafood Dinner instead, something better done in Crimson due to Crimson Tigerfish.

I guess Toxikarp is better than Bladetongue, but id rather have easy Heartreach potions.

Wrath and Rage are the same DPS bonus for your main weapon, but the former wins out due to affecting Summon damage. This is an extra point I suppose, but 10% isnt much of a boost either way.

Now to subjective matters: Corruption is repetitive as hell: Very few unique enemies compared to Crimson, with prehardmode being practically just Eaters of Souls. Crimson Chasms can sometimes spawn interconnected with one another, which gives more variety over Corruption generation which is always the same boring Chasms. Eater of Worlds is a one giant mess of a boss fight while the BoC at least has some unique elements.

Conclusion: Overall Crimson has better items and a cooler design. Any advantage Corruption has over Crimson is either negligible or not significant enough to have a big impact in the whole run.

Last edited:
Mathematically Worm Scarf and Brain of Confusion are practically the same defensively (17% dr vs 16.67% chance to dodge an attack) and the latter's additional bonuses (the confusion and the crit) are negligible, so it comes down to whether you prefer the consistency or the longer iframes after a dodge.
Brain of Confusion's dodge also means it's a 16.67% chance to negate knockback. And the confusion in particular is helpful against regular enemies when you're in a bad spot.

Many of the reasons I like Crimson have already been stated in the thread, but one of my personal preferences for Crimson is with how the terrain generation automatically builds an Arena perfectly sized for BoC. Just wall off the paths, slap a few platforms and furniture buffs and you've got an excellently sized arena for combating BoC. Makes life so much easier. Corruption is much more annoying - the chasms are hard to traverse, making an arena outside is more tedious because you can't wall off spawns well and the boss shoots projectiles outside, and cheesing the boss with a box/slime mount/mace is rather boring but means you don't have to build a full arena. Atleast the DPS numbers make monke brain go 'mmmm yes'.

Crimson looks worse than Corruption, but it is easier for me in Expert mode. If I'm playing Classic, I'd go for Corruption for aesthetics.

Corruption i think has better weapons and you can get the worm scarf by defeating eater of worlds, or what I like to call him because of a misspell in chat, Esthe.

Corruption i think has better weapons and you can get the worm scarf by defeating eater of worlds, or what I like to call him because of a misspell in chat, Esthe.
Only 1 corruption weapon is strictly better than its equivalent in the crimson (Musket) and the Worm Scarf is mathematically worse than the Brain of Confusion now that the latter was buffed.

Back
Top Bottom