Hot Topic Crossplay

Flameslayer1002

Terrarian
Hi everyone I was just a quick question, once all platforms of terraria have been updated to the latest update will all platforms be able to play together on the same world (crossplay) it would be amazing if that would happen the future.
Thx

This could quite possibly be the case. There has been no indication or word of this happening, but it is possible. I don't think would happen anytime soon or even within the year.

This could quite possibly be the case. There has been no indication or word of this happening, but it is possible. I don't think would happen anytime soon or even within the year.
Yeah that’s does make sense, but when it does happen, ok then they are gonna have to add that research all button for me, lol, if cross platform happens, just because I can’t for some odd reason add players through files on my mobile device, but gonna get a chest full of every item, and there we go a character.

Hello, the Nintendo Switch version of terraria is on a major sale, and I was wondering about cross-platform play! Could someone give me a complete guide on current cross platform consoles? Like does xbox one play with switch, or ps4 with an older version of pc?

Currently there are no cross-platform play of Terraria on consoles, mostly because the console makers doesn't allow it. Each platform uses it's own network to communicate and doesn't allow other platforms to use theirs. The only exception is Xbox Live which allows both pc and Xbox consoles to connect, and some time ago Microsoft tried to bring Xbox Live connectivity to Nintendo Switch (through the game Cuphead). Nintendo didn't like that.

The only games on console that features cross-platform play (like Rocket League) are the ones that uses dedicated servers (which are quite expensive). The server has separate connections to each network and acts as a conduit between them in a limited fashion (various rules apply).

It's unfortunately unlikely to change anytime soon.

Currently cross-platform play only exists between Mobile Terraria and PC Terraria. You need to use the exact same version content-wise on each platform and the Mobile Dedicated Server. I haven't used that myself, so there are probably some additional caveats as well.

As others have said, currently it is not possible to play Cross-platform.

Earlier this year, the developers have said that they will look into attempting Cross-platform play.

This should not be taken as a guarantee that Cross-play will happen in the future. For Cross-play to happen, all platforms will need to be on the same version. For PC that is 1.4.2.3 which is the latest version all other platforms will also need to be on.

The PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game will actually receive the Journey's End update tomorrow (September 30th, 2021) and from there, all platforms will be closer to parity (Switch will receive 1.4 a little later at a date that is still TBD). The goal for now is for all platforms to reach parity, and after that, it sounds like an attempt at cross-play will be made. But again, there's no guarantee or promise that it will happen for sure.

The developers are well aware of the desire for crossplay, and I want to see it happen as well as much as everyone. It's still important to keep expectations in check. I just don't want many people to get their hopes up incase they aren't able to make it work. Once all platforms reach parity, we'll wait and see from there what happens. :)

Hello, the Nintendo Switch version of terraria is on a major sale, and I was wondering about cross-platform play! Could someone give me a complete guide on current cross platform consoles? Like does xbox one play with switch, or ps4 with an older version of pc?
No, at least not right now. Cross compatibility is something they would be interested in adding later but for now they are focusing on getting 1.4 to all platforms first and cross compatibility is a possibility but they are focusing on 1.4 for switch next. (This may be false)

For the 1st question I'm guessing yes, all versions are mainly connected. Switch is late for updates though. For question 2 I think it will not need optimizations, if it works for Minecraft it might for Terraria too. (EDIT: By all versions I mean Xbox PS4 and Switch)

at 1.4.4 I was very happy to see that mobile/pc worked but now the versions seem to be getting further apart again with mobile still being at 1.4.4.1 and pc already at 1.4.4.5
will they be the same again? and any idea how long that could possibly be?

at 1.4.4 I was very happy to see that mobile/pc worked but now the versions seem to be getting further apart again with mobile still being at 1.4.4.1 and pc already at 1.4.4.5
will they be the same again? and any idea how long that could possibly be?
Yes, they will be the same version again at some point. PC is just way easier to update, while console and mobile have to go through red tape first. Crossplay will be attempted, there’s no time estimate or guarantee that it will work though.

Back
Top Bottom