Weapons & Equip Crossbows, not like bows.

yes?

• Total voters

PulseFox

Spazmatism
(update:added more crossbows.)

The common terrarian ranger gets to
choose from some different types of weapons during his/her's travels. bows, guns, explosives, or even flamethrowers.

but sometimes they are mostly the same. guns are either insanely fast or insanely slow, with high power.
but that does not come to bows. all bows/repeaters increase in speed and damage when you make them out of a higher tier material.

so why not add some more choices to bows? crossbows, would be the bow equivalent of somethings like the sniper rifle, extreme power, with low speed. here is my thought.
when using a bow its very basic. you click or the left mouse button to use. with crossbows however, no clicking. no auto fire. chargeable shoots.

when using a crossbow, your cursor will turn to a target marker, that becomes smaller when you hold down the attack/use button. the smaller the target, the longer and deadlier the shot.
when the crossbow is at maximum charge, a clicking sound will be heard, and the marker (your cursor) will start blincking a little bit. ,let go of the button, and the arrow will fly.

Here comes some ideas for different crossbows, so i hope you like them. (i cant not do sprites, so if someone is willing to try, talk to me)

Corall Shot
25 base damage
average speed
average knockback
Obtained: Water Chests.

Bone Breacker
40 Base damage
Fast speed
strong knockback
tooltip:''shoots bone arrows''
obtained: 2.5% dropp chance from angry bones. (the pre-hm skeletons in the dungeon.

Flame Flyer:
55 base damage.
average speed (remember that they need to be charged up)
strong knockback
tooltip:''lights wooden arrows ablaze''
obtained: shadow chest. (i think ranged weapons should exist in shadow chests)

Pirate Crossbow (i know, the name is silly. couldnt think of anything else.)
65 Base damage
slow speed
very strong knockback
obtained: same chance as cutlass, but only drops of the pirate crossbowers.

PetalShot
80 Base damage
slow speed
extremely strong knockback
tooltip:''shoots razor petals that sometimes poison enemies''
obtained: dropped by plantera, same chance as the other items. (except the axe or seedling)

Stake launcher (yes, it becomes a crossbow)
100 base damage (now were getting into the stuff)
fast speed
insanely strong knockback
tooltip:''shoots vampire murdering stakes''
obtained: same as always, the mourning wood.

thats that out of the way. now, here are some changes and notes about crossbows.
*crossbows can get speed upgrades through reforging.
*crossbows are affected by arrow damage, and use arrows as ammo. except the stake launcher. it will still be firing stakes.
*repeaters will NOT become crowsbows or look like crossbows.
*theese are only alternatives to bows, for thoose who like damaging one-shots more than multiple shots.
*there will not be an auto firing crossbow that rips of van helsing.
EDIT:forgot about this:*arrows have higher velocity when fired from crossbows.

there. my fingers are tired now, so i hope you guys appreciate this. remember critisicm is always appreciated to make this better, so go ahead!
sincerely, PulseFox.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, though I think there could be a few more early game options, like a standard wooden crossbow for people to get into using them, or one made of bone for the dungeon tier and, on the other end, one made from jungle materials like Vine.
Another thing which might go along with this is a ministun effect on one of those crossbows, shortly disabling the enemy, though maybe I'm thinking too much into RPG here with the different classes.

I feel like there should be some choice here. This idea could be a thing kinda like swords vs spears. You get them at the same time, however one is fast but low damage, the other being slow but higher damage.
Also, charge shots sound cool. Shorter range would essentially mean you get to fire faster.

Have some support.

Back
Top Bottom