Crushing Pumpkin and Frost Moon events using Autofarms

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu

This guide is for those wishing to build autofarms to farm Pumpkin and Frost Moon events. Here's a video showcasing an optimized farm used to set a world record 10:59pm Final Wave time for Pumpkin Moon:

tgrKwwF.jpg

I will post a video for the Frost Moon soon. The current world record for a Frost Moon autofarm is 2:55am for wave 17, achieved using a previous version of this farm (video can be found on my youtube channel). Since the current version is stronger, the record should be beaten.

Current records with video proof:

Pumpkin Moon Final Wave: 10:59pm
Frost Moon 17th Wave: 2:55am

Damage Sources:

To inflict damage to mobs during the Pumpkin and Frost Moon events while away-from-keyboard, there are three options:

Minions
Traps
Lava

The available Traps are:

Spear Traps (Damage: 60 Use Time: 14 Critical Hits: YES)
Spike Traps (Damage: 40 Use Time: 14 Critical Hits: NO)
Dart Traps (Damage: 40 Use Time: 14 Critical Hits: NO)
Flame Traps (Damage: 40 Use Time: 14 Critical Hits: NO)

Traps do piercing damage, which means they can only hit a maximum of 6 times a second. Traps should not be mixed, because they all interfere with each other. Instead, Spear Traps should be exclusively used because they do the most damage out of all the traps and because they are the only lihzahrd traps that are capable of critical hits (which do double damage).

To reach the cap of 6 hits per second, spear traps should be built in a column and actuated into the background, then connected to separate timers so that they fire at different times. Here's an example of a spear trap battery set-up:

IL6D4Iy.jpg

A bird statue is activated, passing over pressure plates that activate 1-second or 3-second timers (doesn't matter which is used since traps have a 3 second cooldown) which connect to individual spear traps in a column. Many such spear trap columns can be built wherever mob spawns take place.

Lava and minions do not interfere with traps or with each other, so all three damage sources should be used in the autofarm for maximum damage. To maximize minion damage, the following protocol should be used:

Protocol for summoning the most powerful minions:

1) Put on Spooky set, Celestial Stone, Avenger Emblem, Hercules Beetle, Papyrus Scarab, Necromantic Scroll (all Menacing)
2) Drink Summon Potion (+1 minion), Wrath Potion (+10% minion damage), and eat Pumpkin Pie (+5% minion damage)
3) Summon 7 minions using a summon staff with a Ruthless modifier (for maximum minion damage)
4) Swap in Pygmy Necklace (Menacing) for Celestial Stone
5) Summon 8th minion
6) Swap in Tiki set for Spooky set
7) Summon 9th minion

The best minions to use are:

Ravens: 112 damage
Sharknados: 150 damage

Ravens tend to do more damage as they can pass through all mobs to inflict damage on contact to multiple mobs, while sharknados tend to hover above mobs and fire shark projectiles which don't pierce. Ravens are usually preferred as a result.

To maximize spear trap damage after summoning 9 minions, swap out all 5 accessories for Papyrus Scarab, Necromantic Scroll, Pygmy Necklace, Eye of the Golem, Destroyer Emblem (all Lucky), switch your weapon to a Godly Obsidian Swordfish, and drink Sake (+2% crit) and a Rage Potion (+10% crit) just before starting the Moon event. Increasing critical hit chance on all gear and weapons and drinking sake and rage potions will affect critical hit chance of spear traps as well.

Best accessories and weapon to have equipped during farming:

Godly Obsidian Swordfish (+29% crit)
Lucky Destroyer Emblem (+12% crit)
Lucky Eye of the Golem (+14% crit)
Lucky Pygmy Necklace (+4% crit)
Lucky Papyrus Scarab (+4% crit)
Lucky Necromantic Scroll (+4% crit)

The total critical hit chance for spear traps is 67% using this set-up. Drinking a Rage Potion and Sake increases this to 79% for 4 minutes.

Building the autofarm:

Spawn rates during events are capped, so Water Candles and Battle Potions do not have any effect. The farm should have one spawn surface within the range of spawns relative to the player, and the space above the surface should be free of any solid blocks (spawns can originate in mid-air, and blocks above the spawn surface can block mid-air spawn events). Spawns can only occur between 35 and 47 blocks above and below the player, and between 62 and 84 blocks to the left and right of the player (source: http://terraria.wiki.gg/NPC_spawning). Spawning elsewhere should be blocked (by using solid blocks or pouring lava over other surfaces) to ensure all event mobs spawn on the designated surface.

The spear trap batteries should be set-up above the spawn surface so that spawned mobs get attacked the moment they spawn in. Mob teleporters should be set-up right next to spawn surfaces to teleport mobs right next to the player where more spear trap batteries, minions, and lava are waiting so that all 3 can inflict damage. Spear Trap batteries should also be set-up in places where the event bosses travel as they move towards the player from the spawn surface.

To block all damage from event bosses, a 3x2 player box can be created with a Slime Statue inside. The Slime Statue can be used to summon a Slime that will inflict 1 damage to the player throughout the event and that damage will supersede all other damage provided that the slime is summoned when there are no other mobs on screen. To do this it is advisable to turn on all traps in the arena first to kill all the mobs. To offset the slime damage, the player should sit in honey and a Campfire and Heart Lantern should be placed nearby to increase health regeneration rate.

Example of an optimized build:

Here is an optimized farm built according to what is outlined above:

DLlvjTb.jpg

JQnkbCu.jpg

The player teleports into the honey + slime statue box by using a teleporter at home base that connects to a teleporter below that box via green wire from the right. The player then summons Ravens into the space directly above using the protocol outlined in this guide, turns on all the traps using the top left switch (which activates a bird statue on the far left), and then hooks into one of the walls of the box and summons a slime by using the middle left switch. The player then switches into the appropriate gear and weapon, drinks potions, and triggers the Moon event at 7:30pm.

All spawns initiate on the surface to the far left of the player (where the 7 teleporters are). Using one of the seven teleporters in the spawn area, mobs teleport into the area directly above the player where the minions are waiting. Bosses travel from the spawn surface to where the player is located and get hit by the spear trap batteries and lava along the way. More spear trap batteries are mounted to the right and above the player so that the spears hit roving Ice Queens during Frost Moon.

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBRHA0TE0xeC1uWG8/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Amazing work, as always! But i have a question: what is the difference between this and the old one/how did you get a higher wave? Or was it just the weapon change?

Amazing work, as always! But i have a question: what is the difference between this and the old one/how did you get a higher wave? Or was it just the weapon change?

The improved final wave time was due to three things:

1) Using lava as a damage source (makes a pretty big difference)
2) Switching from a Katana to Obsidian Swordfish (I didn't realize this thing even existed when I was using Katanas back then!)
3) Adding a nice design to make the farm look awesome (OK maybe it didn't improve the time but it certainly was nicer to look at :))

Nice. I have to say, this is pretty impressive. Wish I had that many spear traps...

Indeed the optimized farm is for record breaking rather than to be of practical use since most won't have 800+ spear traps lying around. However, that many spear traps are not necessary to create a functional farm that can reach the final wave of the Pumpkin Moon - in fact around 60 or so traps are already enough to make a very strong arena, since the spear trap batteries are already effective with 6 spear traps in a column, and 10 columns is already quite a bit to grind mobs and bosses.

How many would be decent enough to reach Frost Moon last wave? I've watched your video on the Frost Moon AFK grinder, but I don't have that many traps...

How many would be decent enough to reach Frost Moon last wave? I've watched your video on the Frost Moon AFK grinder, but I don't have that many traps...

The AFK grinders cannot reach the final wave of the Frost Moon - it's way too difficult. The current best is wave 17 at 2:55am with a metric ton of traps. However, there is another approach - a semi-autofarm approach using Horseman's Blade. For it to be effective about 20-30 Spear traps would already be enough to reach the final wave with ease. Here's a video:

Now granted I use a lot of spear traps, but all of them can be removed except for those directly below the mob box (the spawn surface is directly below) and still reach the final wave with ease. The vast majority of the damage comes from the pumpkins, not the traps. Getting mob statues shouldn't be too hard, since almost any mob statues would work, and the more important thing is wiring them properly so that you get the most activations out of each one.

Here's the guide I posted to accompany the video, although I'll be updating it and posting the update here since I have modified this farm.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threa...eaching-the-final-wave-in-record-time.154083/

Last edited:
Ah yes, this is the one I meant. So the ones above the box aren't necessary? I could probably manage that. I'll try that.

Ah yes, this is the one I meant. So the ones above the box aren't necessary? I could probably manage that. I'll try that.

It's not even clear if the spear traps above and to the sides of the player are having a non-negligible impact. I use them in case they do have an impact, but we're talking about potentially shaving seconds off the final wave time, so without those traps you can still easily reach the final wave. The traps below the mob statue box are more important to increase the kill rate of the mobs that spawn there.

Yeah i'm not exactly going for a speed kill. This really is an amazing time, finishing the event half way through the night.

Yeah i'm not exactly going for a speed kill. This really is an amazing time, finishing the event half way through the night.

In that thread I linked above Gandalf K posted this:

1-jpg.124451

Not sure if this was from 1.2.3.1 (which apparently had some sort of exploit which could be used to generate better times, but I'm not sure what exactly) or if it's more recent, but Gandalf K never followed up with an explanation. Thus far the 1:34am time remains the record with video proof, although I've gotten a better time (1:17am) unrecorded.

The main thing to point out in the pic is that no traps are used around the player - there are traps below at the surface and the pumpkins do almost all the damage.

Hmm, well i dont understand how my farm is worse than your's. I have the mobs get teleported into my raven box upon their spawn, the raven box is filled with lava and the spears can get in. But yet it only reaches wave 17 on the frost moon at 3:10 why doesnt it work as good?

Hmm, well i dont understand how my farm is worse than your's. I have the mobs get teleported into my raven box upon their spawn, the raven box is filled with lava and the spears can get in. But yet it only reaches wave 17 on the frost moon at 3:10 why doesnt it work as good?

It's working as it should, but the wave 17 times fall within a range because there is still an element of randomness - the spear traps crit chance is not 100%, and the Ice Queen's movements can make killing them faster or slower depending on whether they stop and spin where the ravens are or whether they more frequently do figure-8s above the player. In fact my last run with the updated arena resulted in a 3:24am wave 17 time. You'd have to run the farm multiple times to try to beat or come close to the record.

I'm curious, why do the mobs spawn in the small box under the player? Why not off to the sides?

In the Horseman's Blade farm you mean? There's a spawn surface directly below the player, and no other spawn surfaces anywhere within the spawn limits horizontally or vertically (either because there is lava blocking the spawns or because no other surfaces are nearby).

Oh, so extra prep is needed to prevent spawning in other areas, how would I do that?

One easy way of preparing: create a flat surface just over 168 blocks long (84 blocks to the left and right of the player) put down a layer of lava, and build the farm so that the player is 47 blocks above the flat surface (spawn limit vertically 94 blocks, 47 above the player and 47 blocks below the player). This will save a huge amount of time avoiding having to fill in holes and caverns to prevent spawns.

Hmm, I've built everything, but the monsters aren't spawning in the spawn area... Everything is 100's of blocks off the ground, and on the ground below there's lava. They just aren't spawning at all.
0ReWp2l.png

Back
Top Bottom