NPCs & Enemies Cryosar, A new Hardmode-exclusive Snow biome boss

EparoBro

Terrarian
So the Ice biome is a biome good in early pre-hardmode and normal hardmode. After that, well, It’s kinda useless. Now introducing...

Cryosar
Ice Dragon of Chilly Chills

This boss is summoned with a Dragontail Tuna, which can be caught in hardmode at any time in the ocean, with a 1/35 chance to be pulled in, regardless of bait and potions. This boss can also only be fought in the snow biome. Well, you could fight it somewhere else, but that’ll enrage it and triple its attack and double it’s defense. Not a good idea to fight it outside of there.

Dragontail Tuna
Consumable
Summons Cryosar

HP: 45,000/75,000
Damage: 140/180 (Melee)
Damage: 175/215 (Ice Blast)
Damage: 90/110 (Snowstorm)
Damage: 2/4 (Permafrost)
Damage: 120/160 (Tail Slice)

Now this looks pretty insane for an early hardmode boss, but this is designed like Duke Fishron, with a very high reward if defeated early.

Now I’m gonna explain each attack and phases of the boss in another spoiler, so let’s explain it.

There is the basic melee, which happens when any part of Cryosar contacts the player.

Ice Blasts are fired from Cryosar’s mouth, and they deal HUGE damage and also inflict Frostfire 40% of the time, and 90% in expert mode.

Snowstorms are giant clouds that, well snow a whole lot. Similar to Duke Fishron’s tornado attacks, they deal a considerable amount of damage when hit by one and spawn Servants of Cryosar.

HP: 250/400
Damage: 75/100 (Melee)
Damage: 100/150 (Mini Ice Blast)
They fly above the player, breathing mini ice blasts and occasionally swooping.

Permafrost is a bit wacky, it is always afflicted if a player contacts water any time of the fight. The permafrost debuff also lasts forever... No it doesn’t, it lasts for the entire length of the fight, so technically forever.

Tooltip: You have been touched by Cryosar’s Rage.

You’ll take 2 Damage per second, which isn’t a lot, but only one of three effects.
You also get slowed by 8%, which can be painful if you are bad at dodging.
Also, your health regen is slowed by 30%,

In expert mode, it is changed to:
4 Damage per second
10% movement speed reduction
45% health regen speed reduction

Tail Slice is an attack that stretches Cryosar’s tail and attacks the player. Only the tip of the tail has a damaging hit box. If you are hit, however, you become Dazed 30% of the time.

Phase 1: 45,000- 27,500 HP/ 75,000- 47,500 HP

In Phase 1, Cryosar moves quickly above the player and will do a chain of 4 Melee swoops. After that, it will do 3 Ice Blasts, and then it will either Summon a snowstorm or do a tail slice.

Phase 2 is the rest of the fight past around half HP. It will now do a chain of 6 Melee attacks now, and in faster succession. It now fires 5 Ice blasts which are a bit larger now. Snowstorms stay the same, except now the tail will always inflict Dazed.

Upon defeating Cryosar, you can get one of these items:
Hyperfreeze Greatsword
Cryosar’s Wrath
Cryo Hunter
Freezing Sledgehammer
Snowstorm Rod
Flash Freeze
Ice Dragon Staff

These items can drop independently with other items

Cryosar Wings (10%)
Frozen Dragon Saddle (10%)

Super Scoop Cone (5%)

Expert Loot:
Cryosar’s Scale

108 Melee Damage
Very Slow Speed
Strong Knockback
11% Critical hit chance
Shoots a wave of frost
* This Sword is the same size as the Fiery Greatsword, except a lot stronger, and it shoots a wave of frost, similar to that Betsy Sword (Flying Dragon?) except it is slower and also inflicts frostburn.

81 Melee Damage
Slow Speed
Average Knockback
8% Critical hit chance
* This is basically the Solar Eruption, except a little shorter, and inflicts frostburn. Wield the pure wrath of Cryosar even through walls!

56 Ranged Damage
Average Speed
Average Knockback
9% Critical hit chance
Fires four ice arrows
* This is a combination of the Chlorophyte Shotbow and the Tsunami, two of my favorite bows. It is also a crossbow, which makes it 300% edgier, but more into the weapon. It fires a predictable spread of 4 arrows, transformed into ice arrows like the ice bow.

41 Ranged Damage
Slow Speed
Average Knockback
9% Critical hit chance
Right-click to freeze enemies
Stopped! Hammer Time!
* So I originally had this idea of a weapon as a post moon lord Gun, but you know how everyone hates that stuff, but it is still a very powerful weapon. When right clicked, the gun fires a flash of blue energy that pierces infinitely. It is narrow, but any enemy caught inside will be frozen in place, even if they are in air. This flash has a 12 second cool down, and the freeze lasts 4 seconds.The gun itself fires a spread of 3 shots.

49 Magic Damage
Fast Speed
No Knockback
9% Critical hit chance
Uses 10 Mana
* This is basically a stronger Nimbus Rod. Nuff said?

67 Magic Damage
Average Speed
Weak Knockback
10% Critical hit chance
Uses 11 Mana
Fires a homing ice blast
* This is basically using Cryosar’s ice blast in weapon form, except it is homing now. Also inflicts frostburn, which is nice.

50 Summon Damage
Fast Speed
Strong Knockback
Uses 10 Mana
Summons Ice Dragons to fight for you.
* The ice dragons from this are basically servants of Cryosar but no melee.

Equipable
Allows flight and slow fall
Effectiveness increases as health drops
* They have the same flight as Fishron Wings, but also increases flight height and speed as your health drops.

Allows riding of an ice dragon
* The Dragon can fly up to 467 tiles, and also breathes ice that does 61 Summon Damage and inflicts frostburn. Max speed is 56 MPH

Summons a baby Cryosar pet
* Summons a pet, done said.

Equipable
2 Defense
Gives the wearer a permafrost aura
* So the permafrost has the same range as the inferno potion. It deals 15 DPS to enemies, and reduces the damage they do by 10%. Does not work on bosses.

I like this idea a lot! Would definitely add something cool to the snow biome (and something it really needed as well.) I support! (Also, I could give it a go at spriting the weapons if you'd like. I could try the boss itself, but I'm not the best at bosses.)

I like this idea a lot! Would definitely add something cool to the snow biome (and something it really needed as well.) I support! (Also, I could give it a go at spriting the weapons if you'd like. I could try the boss itself, but I'm not the best at bosses.)
Why not? I’ll make sure to credit you if you add the sprites.

Hey! The sprites are coming along nicely, but I was just wondering, would it be ok if I used this in an idea for a mod that I have? It's still a while before it's going to be developed (since TModLoader doesn't support GOG versions), but I think that it would fit into my idea nicely. thanks!

Hey! The sprites are coming along nicely, but I was just wondering, would it be ok if I used this in an idea for a mod that I have? It's still a while before it's going to be developed (since TModLoader doesn't support GOG versions), but I think that it would fit into my idea nicely. thanks!
Sure!

Back
Top Bottom