Weapons & Equip Crystal Armor - Mining Set's Hardmode Counterpart

TheAverageCommoner

Eye of Cthulhu
Mining Armor in Terraria is ultimately the best mining armor, which is unfortunate considering that it's not even Endgame, albeit's fast mining speed buff and automatic light where ever you go.
So what about a better version of that armor?
Crystal Armor
crystal.png

Defense - 29
Set Bonus - Allows the wearer to see ores and treasure, 5% Movement Speed
40% Mining Speed

I will do the sprites for the armor set later, but for now I'll go into how the armor works.
Crystal Helmet
Defense: 9
How to craft:
Crystal_Shard.png

Soul_of_Light.png
Provides 15% Mining Speed.

Crystal Chestpiece
Defense: 11
How to craft:
Crystal_Shard.png

Soul_of_Light.png
Provides 15% Mining Speed.

Crystal Leggings
Defense: 8
How to craft:
Crystal_Shard.png

Soul_of_Light.png
Provides 10% Mining Speed

Alright, here is the deal I like the suggestion but this needs serious tweaking.
If we look at the Mining set its entire armor set sums up to 3 defense! Yours adds up to 29 with the bonuses plus a perm. Spelunker potion. It’s a little balanced out by the ridiculous amount on crystal needed for it.

So lets try and fix it? First hardmode armor you can get is cobalt right? That set has either 17, 26 or 19 defense depending on what helmet you get and that averages out to 20. Meaning that we need to go below that to keep this from being OP and and such we should go 15, probably not below seeing as that may cause even a slime to turn your world upside down. I dont know apart from that, bunch of stuff to fix for it not to extremely OP.

Alright, here is the deal I like the suggestion but this needs serious tweaking.
If we look at the Mining set its entire armor set sums up to 3 defense! Yours adds up to 29 with the bonuses plus a perm. Spelunker potion. It’s a little balanced out by the ridiculous amount on crystal needed for it.

So lets try and fix it? First hardmode armor you can get is cobalt right? That set has either 17, 26 or 19 defense depending on what helmet you get and that averages out to 20. Meaning that we need to go below that to keep this from being OP and and such we should go 15, probably not below seeing as that may cause even a slime to turn your world upside down. I dont know apart from that, bunch of stuff to fix for it not to extremely OP.

How is it OP?

I can get where you're coming from with the idea that it's defense is higher than Some Early Hardmode Armors but that's only to literally have defense against Hardmode Mobs.
Most Hardmode Mobs in the beginning of games can really give the player (If he or she doesn't know all the ropes to Terraria) trouble especially in HM biomes such as the Underground Hallowed Biome and even the Corruption.
It doesn't give any damage stats, defense stats, I can't even imagine the player getting more than 50+ Defense with the armor in Early Hardmode, and with it's defense it still carries out value in Endgame Hardmode. And the Permanent Spelunker Buff is only there if you equip the full set.

I understand what you are saying but my point is that the point of the mining set is to allow people to mine (progress) faster and therefore get through the game faster but you run into the risk of dying. What I am saying is that people know the risks of putting on the original armor but yours does not have that risk as it gives you moderate defense.
Anyway, your suggestion. The only point I am making is that this armor makes the game a tad bit too easy if you are able to get it.

I agree with Vallode on this topic, though in my opinion 20-25 armor for the set is fine as well, under one condition:
When hit by an enemy, the permanent spelunker buff should be removed for 5-10 seconds. This way, the set is able to protect you against small cavern fries, but you still have to watch out for them, because for one you still don't have a lot of armor, and because they get in the way of your mining action otherwise.

The permanent spelunker buff only being there when the full set is equipped is a lousy excuse for your argument, since, if the player wants to go mining, but needs more defense, why would he only equip part of the set instead of using a mining potion? He wants to see the ores, so Ironskin and the full set should do. And if he really needs a lot of defense, mining potion and spelunker potion are enough to satify the player. Point is, the extra mining speed is barely a reason to equip only part of the set.

I'm not sure what to do about the defense, but I like the idea that the buff is removed when hit by an enemy.

I think it should also increase your mining range by 1 on the chest piece, and increase movement speed by ~10% on the legs.

I think the recipe should be changed, right now it's just a massive grind. I think it should be harder to get as well, maybe at mech-tier?

I do think there there should be a Mining set that isn't squishy in Hardmode, but I don't feel like Crystal Armor really hits the mark... :l

You realize 29 defense is absolutely absurdly bad for use in hardmode and will get you killed in 3-4 shots.

You know that a lot of non-Melee HM sets have less than 29 Defense. It's actually a pretty decent amount.

You realize that you need to check your facts before you post things and you will get shot down if you don't.
But what I said was absolutely true, and you didn't deny it. So you should check over what you say.
There is absolutely no reason to sacrifice 25 defense for 8% increased magic damage or whatever. Always get the melee helmets.

But what I said was absolutely true, and you didn't deny it. So you should check over what you say.
There is absolutely no reason to sacrifice 25 defense for 8% increased magic damage or whatever. Always get the melee helmets.
No, what you said is not true. We're talking about general Hardmode armor, not endgame freaking Melee sets.

Your using a biased argument under the assumption that anything that isn't a Melee set is bad. -_-

Stating an extremely prejudiced opinion is absolutely useless, and all it says is that you're a snob about defense and can't handle taking a few hits. You're basically saying "no this sucks needs moar defense." Who benefits from that?

I like it.
Always wanted to use the mining set, but the one time I got it I was at end-game.
I can support a HM variation, although with the defence stats it may be worth either nerfing them down a bit or putting it at mech tier.
Souls of sight would make sense with the spelunker potion buff bonus, too.

The armor's suggested defense is fine. It'll take a while for that many crystals to grow fresh out of Hardmode (180) and it offers no damage benefits at all for fighting mobs. 29 defense will reduce damage taken by 14 or so, which really is not that big of a stretch from the other armors used early in:
Defensive numbers are in the order of sorcerer/ranger/warrior

Molten gives 25
Cobalt gives 15/17/26 with basic class damage/usage buffs
Palladium gives 21/23/32 with basic class buffs and boosted HP regen after you hit something

And then there's people that recommend you just work towards full Adamantite or Titanium armor before doing anything Mech-related:
Adamantite gives 28/32/46 with basic class buffs
Titanium gives a staggering 30/34/49 with class buffs and the Shadow Dodge effect

Letting sorcerers and rangers have a defensive armor option at the cost of bonus mana and damage or with normal ammo consumption rates is not a big deal at all. You also have to keep in mind that in early HM, this armor will take a long time to get. Remember the first time you tried to make a Crystal Storm? This is six times as many crystals.

When you look at a suggestion for armors or weapons, you can't just get hung up on numbers. You have to consider how the numbers interact with each other. This armor's suggested defense is perfectly fine and the Spelunker Potion effect is desirable enough to make me want to work towards one if it was implemented.

I like this idea - we need some later-game mining armor - but I think the crystal costs and defense should be balanced out. By my calculations, defenses should go from Summoner, Miner, Mage, Ranger, Melee.

Lacking any sort of respect in an argument with another user is not allowed.
No, what you said is not true. We're talking about general Hardmode armor, not endgame freaking Melee sets.

Your using a biased argument under the assumption that anything that isn't a Melee set is bad. -_-

Stating an extremely prejudiced opinion is absolutely useless, and all it says is that you're a snob about defense and can't handle taking a few hits. You're basically saying "no this sucks needs moar defense." Who benefits from that?
But my FACTS were true, so your statement is poorly thought out. You also stated that 29 defense was fine in hardmode, when thinking realistically it really ISNT.

Disrespect like this to another member will not be tolerated.
But my FACTS were true, so your statement is poorly thought out.
You realize 29 defense is absolutely absurdly bad for use in hardmode and will get you killed in 3-4 shots.
There is not a true fact in this sentence.

You would only get killed in 3 or 4 hits if you were up against an enemy that dealt 115+ damage.

You also stated that 29 defense was fine in hardmode, when thinking realistically it really ISNT.
The armor's suggested defense is fine. It'll take a while for that many crystals to grow fresh out of Hardmode (180) and it offers no damage benefits at all for fighting mobs. 29 defense will reduce damage taken by 14 or so, which really is not that big of a stretch from the other armors used early in:
Defensive numbers are in the order of sorcerer/ranger/warrior

Molten gives 25
Cobalt gives 15/17/26 with basic class damage/usage buffs
Palladium gives 21/23/32 with basic class buffs and boosted HP regen after you hit something

And then there's people that recommend you just work towards full Adamantite or Titanium armor before doing anything Mech-related:
Adamantite gives 28/32/46 with basic class buffs
Titanium gives a staggering 30/34/49 with class buffs and the Shadow Dodge effect

Letting sorcerers and rangers have a defensive armor option at the cost of bonus mana and damage or with normal ammo consumption rates is not a big deal at all. You also have to keep in mind that in early HM, this armor will take a long time to get. Remember the first time you tried to make a Crystal Storm? This is six times as many crystals.

When you look at a suggestion for armors or weapons, you can't just get hung up on numbers. You have to consider how the numbers interact with each other. This armor's suggested defense is perfectly fine and the Spelunker Potion effect is desirable enough to make me want to work towards one if it was implemented.

Face the facts, because I honestly don't think that any of your statements are anything more than poorly thought out.

Seriously. Get real, and get out of your dreamworld.

Back
Top Bottom