Items Cursed Accessories, a new risk/reward system

Dapling

Duke Fishron
This will probably be my least balanced suggestion of all time, but at least it (hopefully) serves its purpose of providing a reward for specifically the more skilled players.
These accessories are very powerful, but also come with a massive drawback for using them. You also can only have one Cursed Accessory equipped at a time.

Blue text is the positive effects.
Red text is the negative effects.
Purple text is somewhere in between.

The accessories are sorted in the order you most likely would encounter them if you found them as soon as they were available.

With that out of the way, let us begin.

Dealing damage summons 3 meteorites which each target a different entity on screen, which can either be an enemy or yourself (25 classless damage, 100% chance to inflict On Fire! for 2 seconds)

Crafted from 20 Silk and 8 Meteorite Bars @ Loom.

This one is meant to serve as a prehardmode introduction to Curses. The effect doesn't scale into later parts of the game very well, so it encourages looking into the other ones instead of using it for a long time.
Cursed Inferno on enemies is now 3x as powerful, and all weapons now inflict Cursed Inferno.
Dealing damage causes you to be inflicted with Cursed Inferno (not the buffed version) for 1 second. Can only occur every 10 seconds.

Crafted from 15 Cursed Flames and 10 Souls of Night @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.

This corruption exclusive accessory is meant to give Cursed Inferno the buff it needs, without completely obliterating players. In case you're wondering, the buffed Cursed Inferno does 72 dps, which is almost as much as a single stack of Daybroken while being much earlier in the game..
All Weapons inflict Ichor, and have their damage and critical strike chance boosted by 9% against Ichored enemies.
Dealing damage causes you to be inflicted with Ichor for 5 seconds.

Crafted from 15 Ichor and 10 Souls of Night @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.
Has a 25% chance to completely block damage, with a 10 second cooldown.
Defense is reduced by 50 for the cooldown duration.

Crafted from 15 Crystal Shards and 10 Souls of Light @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.
10% increased attack speed.
You are permanently afflicted with Feral Bite.
Defense is reduced to 0. Items which grant debuff immunities of any kind no longer work.

Drops from Mothron with a 15% chance.

The reason debuff immunities don't work is so that someone can't just equip an Ankh Charm and negate a significant portion of its drawback.
For every 3 points of defense, gain a 1% chance to completely nullify damage.
Defense no longer lowers damage taken.

Crafted from 1 Black Belt and 1 Paladin's Shield @ Demon/Crimson Altar
All Damage inflicted increased by 100%.
All Damage taken increased by 100%.

Drops from Dungeon Spirits with a 5% chance.

People who don't get hit very often are gonna love this one :naughty:
Critical Strikes heal 1% of damage dealt.
Critical Strikes no longer increase damage.

20% chance to drop from Present Mimics.
A random weapon (which doesn't deal summon damage or have tool power) is randomly selected in your hotbar, causing it to build up energy over the course of the next minute, gaining 1% damage and critical strike chance every 3 seconds. After the minute is over, damage is reset to normal and another weapon is selected.
The damage reset also causes that weapon to be unusable for 2 minutes while it recovers from the overload of energy

5% chance to drop from Martian Drones.
All melee attacks inflict stacking Daybroken for 5 seconds, with no cap.
Once per enemy per second, melee damage also causes enemies to create projectiles similar to Demon Scythes, which deal only 1 damage but inflict daybroken on you for one second.

Crafted from 10 Solar Fragments @ Ancient Manipulator.
All ranged attacks create lightning that chains to other enemies for 100 damage (cooldown of 0.33 seconds) which can bounce to other enemies again up to 3 times, decreasing in damage by 50% each time.
Taking damage causes you to be inflicted with Electrified for 5 seconds.

Crafted from 10 Vortex Fragments @ Ancient Manipulator.
Reduces mana cost by 99%, rounded down.
Taking damage inflicts Silenced and sets your max mana to 0 for 1 second.

Crafted from 10 Nebula Fragments @ Ancient Manipulator.
Enemies manually focused by summons take 40% more damage.
Manual focusing must be done by holding down right click with a summon staff instead of clicking it once, and whips can no longer be used to focus enemies.

Crafted from 10 Stardust Fragments @ Ancient Manipulator.

Gigantic damage increase, but removes the "impure" parts of summoner to resemble challenge playthroughs from before 1.4's release.
All armor has all of its stats doubled.
Defense causes you to take more damage instead of reducing it.

Crafted from 100 Glass and 1 Gravity Globe @ Ancient Manipulator.

For some... creative individuals, this could be by far the strongest accessory in the game.

Credit to @Bry-ccentric and @J Bame for some helpful input :happy:

Last edited:
I do like the ideas of these, the risk-reward system of using them. I probably wouldn't use them but I can see that some more skilled players might find use for them.

Maybe if Derplings had arms they wouldn't accidentally hit the submit button too early.

Ok... it has now been completed! That really didn't take very long...

I just realized how utterly hellish the surface could get if too many players equipped the Catastrophic Cowl...

I'm sure it'll be fine.

Last edited:
Small Meteorites are constantly falling from the sky, hitting friendly creatures including the player for 50 damage, and enemies for 150 damage. They do not leave anything behind or break tiles.

Crafted from 20 Silk and 8 Meteorite Bars @ Loom.

This one is meant to serve as a prehardmode introduction to Curses. The effect is unique, but it doesn't scale into later parts of the game very well, so it encourages looking into the other ones instead of using it for a long time.
This seems like it would be better off as a temporary buff or something, as constantly having meteors falling from the sky seems a little annoying.
Cursed Inferno on enemies is now 15x as powerful, and all weapons now inflict Cursed Inferno.
Dealing and taking damage causes you to be inflicted with Cursed Inferno (not the buffed version) for 1 second.

Crafted from 15 Cursed Flames and 10 Souls of Night @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.

This corruption exclusive accessory is meant to give Cursed Inferno the buff it needs, without completely obliterating players. In case you're wondering, the Cursed Inferno buff does 90 dps, which is almost as much as a single stack of Daybroken.
That could work, a very powerful debuff that punishes the player if they use it for too long.
All Weapons inflict Ichor, and have their damage and critical strike chance boosted by 9% against Ichored enemies.
Dealing and taking damage causes you to be inflicted with Ichor for 5 seconds.

Crafted from 15 Ichor and 10 Souls of Night @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.
Seems somewhat balanced, and encourages you to not get hit.
All of your attacks hit twice.
Damage inflicted is reduced by 25%, all damage taken has a 25% chance to double.

Crafted from 15 Crystal Shards and 10 Souls of Light @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.

Essentially boosts both damage taken and inflicted by 50%, making it a less intimidating version of the Decimator's Delight.
Sure, good enough.
Provides 1 health and mana regeneration per second and 1 defense for every 5% of the world’s map filled in.
Your map is blank upon viewing it, and your minimap is forced into the “off” state.

Crafted from 1 Cobalt Shield and 30 Souls of Night @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.

Could be useful during boss fights, or if you just have a wonderful sense of direction.
This is a unique idea, but seems like it would be a pain to implement.
100% increased attack speed.
You are permanently afflicted with Ichor, Betsy’s Curse, and Feral Bite. Items which grant debuff immunities of any kind no longer work.

Drops from Mothron with a 1.5% chance.

Someone is going to break the game with this, aren't they? Well, at least their controls are going to flip sometimes while they do it.
The reason debuff immunities don't work is so that someone can't just equip an Ankh Charm and negate a significant portion of it's drawback.
Do you just hate the Ankh charm/shield :dryadnaughty:
Using this with the chain gun would be amazing.
For every 2 points of defense, gain a 1% chance to completely nullify damage.
Defense no longer lowers damage taken.

Crafted from 1 Black Belt and 5 Spectre Bars @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.
So with 100 defence that's basically 50% of all attacks avoided, but makes other other attacks deal full damage, alright.
All Damage inflicted increased by 100%.
All Damage taken increased by 100%.
Both are applied before any other effect.

Drops from Paladins with a 0.5% chance.

People who don't get hit very often are gonna love this one :naughty:
Again, great idea.
"I could shoot you with my eyes closed!"
Critical Strike chance is boosted to 100% for all weapons. Immunity to Blindfolded and Blackout.
You are permanently afflicted with Obstructed.

Crafted from 1 Blindfold and 1 Eye of the Golem @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.
Welp, time to increase my screen brightness to max :dryadcool:
Taking damage summons a crawltipede with doubled stats.

Crafted from 10 Solar Fragments @ Ancient Manipulator.
Nope Nope Nope.....
All ranged attacks create lightning that chains to other enemies for 100 damage.
Taking damage causes you to be inflicted with Electrified for 5 seconds.

Crafted from 10 Vortex Fragments @ Ancient Manipulator.
I like this one, combined with Shroomite armour it'll make you not want to move and stay in stealth.
All magic attacks now have homing. Improves homing of attacks that already have it. Reduces mana cost by 50%.
Taking damage sets your max mana to 0 for 3 seconds.

Crafted from 10 Nebula Fragments @ Ancient Manipulator.
This is mean, you get swarmed by a bat and cannot attack it.
All summon attacks decrease your non-summon weapon’s use time by 1 every hit for one half of a second, use time cannot go below 1.
Taking damage causes you be inflicted with Distorted for 6 seconds, and resets your weapon’s use time.

Crafted from 10 Stardust Fragments @ Ancient Manipulator.
This could work, would encourage people to use weapons while being a summoner.
All armor has all of its stats doubled.

For some... creative individuals, this could be by far the strongest accessory in the game. It has a nice synergy with the Assassin's Affinity, too.
Well, time to purposely inflict broken armour and Ichor on myself :dryadtongue:
Consumable
Permanently allows you to use more than one Cursed Accessory.

Drops with a 0.1% chance from any enemy in the Crimson, Corruption, or Hallow during hardmode.

The ability to use more than one can get so ridiculous, that I didn't want to just have it given to the especially skilled players.
Well you could always use more than one curse, although some may conflict.

I was going to say the Assassins' Affinity would make the defence buff from the Wanderlust Ward useless, but now I realise it would make it better :dryadtongue:
The shattering shells damage reduction would somewhat counter the Decimator's Delights buff.
As for some others they could really make you damage output overpowered, but I suppose the drawbacks would be worse.
Also I was mainly referring to if you were going to add new ones that there would be a chance some could conflict.

The shattering shells damage reduction would somewhat counter the Decimator's Delights buff.
Not really, it lowers it by 25%, which reduces the DDs' buff to 75%, but then it hits twice, bringing it back up to 150%. So you end up doing 250% of normal with both, 150% of normal with just the SS, and 200% of normal with just the DD.

Not really, it lowers it by 25%, which reduces the DDs' buff to 75%, but then it hits twice, bringing it back up to 150%. So you end up doing 250% of normal with both, 150% of normal with just the SS, and 200% of normal with just the DD.
Ah yes, the double hit, maybe I should learn to read better...

Provides 1 health and mana regeneration per second and 1 defense for every 5% of the world’s map filled in.
Your map is blank upon viewing it, and your minimap is forced into the “off” state.

Crafted from 1 Cobalt Shield and 30 Souls of Night @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil.

Could be useful during boss fights, or if you just have a wonderful sense of direction.

Ehh i'm not sure about using the Minimap as a resource like this, especially with how strong it can get for basically no cost.

100% increased attack speed.
You are permanently afflicted with Ichor, Betsy’s Curse, and Feral Bite. Items which grant debuff immunities of any kind no longer work.

Someone is going to break the game with this, aren't they? Well, at least their controls are going to flip sometimes while they do it.

Yes, someone is going to break the game with this and that is you, because you proposed double DPS with two drawbacks that aren't close to compensating for double DPS since the most important one (-60 defense) can just be worked around.

Taking damage summons a crawltipede with doubled stats. [This turns the Head into a literal one shot, just saying]

Same issue Daybreak has where most things will simple die before the Daybroken has a chance to grow significantly, meanwhile the Crawltipedes will almost always end you the moment they spawn since the Solar Pillar is the only place where that enemy can exist in a balanced state.

All magic attacks now have homing. Improves homing of attacks that already have it. Reduces mana cost by 50%.
Taking damage sets your max mana to 0 for 3 seconds.

At this stage in the game only Blizzard Staff gets anything good from this, and the downside will almost always lead to death since you literally won't be able to attack again so this isn't worth using even with it.

All summon attacks decrease your non-summon weapon’s use time by 1 every hit for one half of a second, use time cannot go below 1.
Taking damage causes you be inflicted with Distorted for 6 seconds, and resets your weapon’s use time.

Oh god no

Well, Phantasm shooting 60 times per second sounds fun at least.

The rest all look pretty good, although the item the possibility of using two of these at once seems scary, to say the least

Alliteration. Snazzy.
Spoiler: Lucid Locket 100% increased attack speed.

Drops from Mothron with a 1.5% chance.

The reason debuff immunities don't work is so that someone can't just equip an Ankh Charm and negate a significant portion of it's drawback.
Spoiler: Glass Globe All armor has all of its stats doubled.

For some... creative individuals, this could be by far the strongest accessory in the game. It has a nice synergy with the Assassin's Affinity, too
These Two, Right Here. The First Two Debuffs Reduce Defense By 80, Which Very Few Armours Can Obtain. Unless Glass Globe Also Doubles The Defense?

Ehh i'm not sure about using the Minimap as a resource like this, especially with how strong it can get for basically no cost.
Alright, do you think I should replace the 5% with 10% then? That's the number I originally was going to do, but I was afraid it would be too weak. Also, Has anyone even completely filled out their map (so there's not a single dark spot) before? That's what would be required for the full effect.
Yes, someone is going to break the game with this and that is you, because you proposed double DPS with two drawbacks that aren't close to compensating for double DPS since the most important one (-60 defense) can just be worked around.
Oook, I thought the random debuffs from Feral Bite on top of -60 defense would be enough, but apparently not. Should I lower the increased attack speed to 75%?
Same issue Daybreak has where most things will simple die before the Daybroken has a chance to grow significantly, meanwhile the Crawltipedes will almost always end you the moment they spawn since the Solar Pillar is the only place where that enemy can exist in a balanced state.
Should I make it a weakened crawltipede then? I also thought that the fact that you can use it with significantly faster weapons than the daybreak would be enough to compensate.
At this stage in the game only Blizzard Staff gets anything good from this, and the downside will almost always lead to death since you literally won't be able to attack again so this isn't worth using even with it.
I should lower the debuff duration then, right? I thought the lowered mana cost would also be a good reason to use it, but... alright.
Oh god no
mmmmm, yep. I'm definitely making that deteriorate faster than 2 per second. Or I'm giving it a cap, whichever one's better (probably both)
These Two, Right Here. The First Two Debuffs Reduce Defense By 80, Which Very Few Armours Can Obtain. Unless Glass Globe Also Doubles The Defense?
They reduce it by 60 (ichor is 20, betsy's curse is 40), and yes, the glass globe doubles defense. Although, I just realized that that's actually a really good synergy, because you're lowering defense that now hinders you. I should probably do something about that.

Edit: I went ahead and made the changes mentioned.

Last edited:
Oook, I thought the random debuffs from Feral Bite on top of -60 defense would be enough, but apparently not. Should I lower the increased attack speed to 75%?

I should lower the debuff duration then, right? I thought the lowered mana cost would also be a good reason to use it, but... alright.

75% is still a ton. That and a good speed modifier brings it to -85% Use Time decrease on Use Time, which brings basically everything to 2-4 if not 1. Attack speed increases are limited to swords for a reason, and even then there is a cap on how much they are affected.

There is currently no reason to use it just as a normal accessory, since only one weapon cares about Homing (Blizzard staff), while all others already home in and don't need to do that better or are Razorpine and don't get a lot from it. Then that effect comes with a downside that gives you a deadlier Silenced that forces you to get all your mana back every time you get hit.

75% is still a ton. That and a good speed modifier brings it to -85% Use Time decrease on Use Time, which brings basically everything to 2-4 if not 1. Attack speed increases are limited to swords for a reason, and even then there is a cap on how much they are affected.

There is currently no reason to use it just as a normal accessory, since only one weapon cares about Homing (Blizzard staff), while all others already home in and don't need to do that better or are Razorpine and don't get a lot from it. Then that effect comes with a downside that gives you a deadlier Silenced that forces you to get all your mana back every time you get hit.
So, do I just lower it to 50% then? It really doesn't seem that strong to me, but I just might be underestimating how fast something like the Phantasm could get.

I am unsure how to salvage that. Do I raise the mana cost reduction?

So, do I just lower it to 50% then? It really doesn't seem that strong to me, but I just might be underestimating how fast something like the Phantasm could get.

There is a difference between +50% Attack speed and -50% Use Time, the former is probably fine.

I am unsure how to salvage that. Do I raise the mana cost reduction?

You can actually make a fun rework with this one: -100% mana cost, but you lose it all on hit for a second. Then the homing is just a secondary instead of the focus. That's basically where you are going if you want to redcuce the mana cost even further.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom