Game Mechanics Custom Paintings & Photo Paintings

Joop

Wall of Flesh
I was watching a Terraria Video about paintings and had an idea.
Why not have Custom Paintings and Photo Paintings?
I don't want to yabber much at the start, so let's start it.

Now, I don't know if the games coding could work with this, but I am just suggesting.

Custom Paintings
How this would work is the Painter would sell an Item called the Canvas for 10G.
Along with that, he sells a Small Paper [2x4 Tiles, 1G] Medium Paper [4x6 Tiles, 3G] and Large Paper [6x8 Tiles, 5G]
You place the canvas and right click it with a paintbrush, a menu opens up with the papers you may of purchased. Select one then a blank white square pops up.
On the side a bunch of colors. But the only way you can use it is by right clicking the canvas with some paint. The canvas would take the paint, and by the color
would say how much was left.
This would basically work like a pixel/spriting program. Just click and the color that you chose appears.
Once you have created your Masterpiece, click done at the bottom. Which is next to Cancel to stop painting.
When you click done, a box appears that says 'Insert Name'. When you do so, you get an item
that looks like a white painting that says the name that you put in.
When you place it, it shows what you had just made.
What a masterpiece.

Photo Paintings
So, with 1.3 came the option to take photos in game. there would be a new option that says 'Painting Picture'
You can only use that feature if you have a Blank Painting in your inventory.
The Blank painting is sold by the Painter for 30G. The blank painting is 4x6 Tiles.
When you take the photo, a bar opens up and asks you to name it. After that you get an item called what you named it
that looks like a white painting. You can then go and place it in your house as a memory.

I really don't know if the game could handle this code. But, if that wasn't the case.
Tell me what you think!

Last edited:
I think these have quite the potential. I'm sure players could create incredible paintings even in their limited canvas space.

Thank you, but do you know any ways i can be improved?
It is quite simple, so there's not much to say or improve on. :)
The technical part of it is the main challenge and since I'm not a Terraria programmer, I can't really comment on it. From the player's perspective, I think you've pretty much nailed what would be expected. Give a blank canvas, some colours and some basic tools (e.g. pencil, line, rectangle, circle, fill).

The cost looks fine. I can understand why you restricted the colours available to those in the player's inventory, but I'm a bit iffy about it. If I wanted to make something colourful, I'd need a lot of paint in my inventory. Not sure if Terraria has a limited colour space, but you could provide a player with a 256 colour palette instead.
If you prefer to keep paint, what would be the difference between regular paint and deep paint? How would Shadow and Negative paint display?
You could also expand it to include (basic) Dye as available colours to gain access to additional colours. E.g. dye could be lighter or darker than paint and bright dye even lighter still. Strange dyes can also give access to new colours.
Example:
Colour.png

Top row: Bright Orange Dye - Orange Dye - Orange Paint - Deep Orange Paint
Bottom row: Black Dye - Black Paint - Shadow Paint

It is quite simple, so there's not much to say or improve on. :)
The technical part of it is the main challenge and since I'm not a Terraria programmer, I can't really comment on it. From the player's perspective, I think you've pretty much nailed what would be expected. Give a blank canvas, some colours and some basic tools (e.g. pencil, line, rectangle, circle, fill).

The cost looks fine. I can understand why you restricted the colours available to those in the player's inventory, but I'm a bit iffy about it. If I wanted to make something colourful, I'd need a lot of paint in my inventory. Not sure if Terraria has a limited colour space, but you could provide a player with a 256 colour palette instead.
If you prefer to keep paint, what would be the difference between regular paint and deep paint? How would Shadow and Negative paint display?
You could also expand it to include (basic) Dye as available colours to gain access to additional colours. E.g. dye could be lighter or darker than paint and bright dye even lighter still. Strange dyes can also give access to new colours.
Example:
View attachment 170909
Top row: Bright Orange Dye - Orange Dye - Orange Paint - Deep Orange Paint
Bottom row: Black Dye - Black Paint - Shadow Paint
Ah hah! I have an idea, tyou click on the Canvas with the paint in your hand then it sucks up the Paint and says on the side the color and how much you have left of it!

Back
Top Bottom