Daimera's Content Tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad people still enjoy my stuff here. Feeling a bit guilty that I can't CC this month, but I was putting it off and then a bunch of nasty stuff happened in the past couple days and really put me off. Here's some answer stuff that I managed to get done before work kicked my butt.

Q: Oh man that last frame with Arbeh holding the prism... Got me wanting to ask about Arbeh lol. What's his opinion on the Starfallen deal?

Thankfully, he’s actually unaware of its full extent for the time being.

tumblr_inline_otn0do3GGU1r63w1v_500.jpg

He’d be the one to actually utilize the opportunities offered by Abomination and Anomaly because he has a very “because I can” driven mindset.

tumblr_inline_otn0eseKI91r63w1v_500.jpg

He knows nothing of the seal, though, because anyone who could tell him won’t because they just know he’d go and break it just so he could flaunt his power in the ensuing chaos. They’re kinda hoping he just gets bored of the planet and leaves one day.

Even those who would benefit from the seals breaking wouldn’t want it done with him around, since they know he would be very likely to just off them once they’re at full power.

tumblr_inline_otn0fuE7Mw1r63w1v_500.jpg

Because he can.
Q: Im curious.. Do you have anything about the Tax Collector in your writings?

I actually do not. Most of my worldbuilding was done pre-1.3, and the only stuff I appended in related to the major endgame events.

Therefore, you get to witness my process for making crap up off the top of my head regarding this sort of thing (with bonus illustrations):

According to my textdump (yes I will continue to link it from time to time for new people), the demons of the Underworld are the souls of the most depraved of the humans from the world’s original civilization, the ones that drove the world into the eldritch ruin it currently is. Mutated beyond recognition by the dark magic surrounding the great soul vaults they created.

tumblr_inline_otousuFDjI1r63w1v_500.jpg

However, when you meet the Tax Collector for the first time, it’s in the form of a “tortured soul” implying he’s not actually one of those demons… but was thrown down there as a punishment and is, perhaps, in the process of transforming into one. Since you can still use purification powder on him to turn him back into human, he’s not a soul from the original civilization manifesting as a demon, but a regular human who’s nevertheless ‘wicked’ enough to be converted by the Underworld’s influence. The other souls saw something kindred in him, or something along those lines.

tumblr_inline_otouux6w2d1r63w1v_500.jpg

While the guy being recruited from the Underworld is obviously just a tongue-in-cheek reference to people’s low regard for characters bearing his tropes, he’s just generally not a great dude, holding money in higher regard than other people. Where he came from is about as much a mystery as where any of the other NPCs came from, just more settlers stranded by various happenstances, but in his case, he probably pissed off whoever he was originally living with, so they trapped him and dropped him off in the Underworld as punishment for being a jerk.

tumblr_inline_otouvcsoQP1r63w1v_500.jpg

Won’t stop another adventurer from picking him back up. Perhaps suffering for a bit in the Underworld made him slightly more tolerable. Who’s to know how insufferable he was before he got thrown down there if he acts the way he does now
Q: AA-Aaarrrrgg is somehow adorable in that picture you posted. I feel like they would give nice hugs if you try not to think about their eyes and mouths. Also loving all the Excelsior info you've been posting. Do he and the Keeper spend a lot of time together, since they seem to be familiar with each other? (And I have to say, I really love how expressive everyone is. I don't know how you make people without faces have so much emotion on them.)
tumblr_inline_otqfpiyp5r1r63w1v_500.jpg

Joel* might disagree.

Excelsior and the Keeper actually don’t spend much time together, but they’re closely linked, since the Keeper was the one who gifted Excelsior with the powers to become a seal for the Starfallen’s power. They convene from time to time to make sure everything’s going fine, but it’s rare.

tumblr_inline_otqfqayDC31r63w1v_500.jpg

Also, expressiveness is just one of those things that takes a lot of practice and studying! It’s easy to make expression if something has either eyes or a mouth, but when neither are present, you just have to cross your fingers and pray their anatomy is familiar enough to rely 100% on body-language!

*my friend's character for that game
Q: *slamming fists on table* WHAT ABOUT THE HORNET LADY

tumblr_inline_ots8qhBjI11r63w1v_500.jpg

What about her?

tumblr_inline_ots8quUOj01r63w1v_500.jpg

She remains largely unseen, living in the Jungle and keeping out of the way of stronger adventurers, since she’s not particularly powerful herself. If anything, her condition is a testament to how suffused the world is with magic, and how those of weaker constitution who submit or fall to it can potentially be transformed by it.

tumblr_inline_ots8rmPZBj1r63w1v_500.jpg

Since the Jungle is her home, though, she will try to convince others with more resources to help protect it from encroaching blights like the Corruption and Crimson. That’s where she gets the Ambassador in her title. Not because she’s an ambassador for hornets, but because she is a hornet who happens to be an ambassador for the Jungle as a whole.

Your lore is so amazing, but I came pretty recently. I am trying to pick it up as I go, and I think I sorta kinda understand most of it.
:p
Love the artwork too; it's friggin' amazing.

I'm starting to feel like I need a playmat for M:tG, so I'm gonna draw up a custom Terraria one from scratch because I can.

I'm not sure how I'm gonna go about it; when I got the idea while playing at a restaurant today, I thought I'd try to fit as much as possible into it rather than fixating on a few choice assets, but sketching it out in practice makes me feel like it is, perhaps, a great deal too cluttered (and also really difficult to balance/organize; if I go with this I may swap the hallow and desert but it doesn’t make the composition any less of a cluster:red:). Still, might as well share the WIP, even though there's a high chance I'll scrap it completely and try something else.
U3YnBQ4.jpg

Edit: Swapped the biomes and added some granite and marble.
HjkiMYY.jpg

Last edited:
The trouble with a playmat is that I always seem to end up with such a vast amount of cards that it would need to be massive for me.
Good luck on it nonetheless! What sort of material will you print it on?

Behold, a rare prose. Something I did for Tumblr, sharing it here for more exposure (and to see if anyone can catch what it's actually supposed to be 83c). After all, I titled this CONTENT Tavern, meaning all content, not just art. c_c

Was originally going to be dialogue for a comic, but got too long-winded, plus I hate drawing proper comics.

This isn’t going to be a continuous story (though Axl will be... around *soft cough*), but I figured it was interesting enough to share. Also, backstory.

Axl awoke to the sound of chirping birds.

Groggy, he slowly sat upright, rubbing his eyes and adjusting his glasses. The grass was soft, and the morning light glimmered through the light canopy formed by the forest’s unusually round treetops. Fluffy white rabbits and other small creatures rustled here and there, painting a strangely idyllic scene.

“Where… the Hell am I..?” Axl asked himself as he pushed himself to his feet, dusting off the ironic Nirvana t-shirt he usually wore to annoy the overbearing mother who’d cursed him with his name.

The last thing he remembered was browsing an antique shop in his hometown, and finding a peculiar mirror.

It had no price tag, and the shop owner claimed to have not seen it before. Moreover, when Axl looked closely at it, it reflected him, but not the shop behind him; in fact, it had reflected a scene that looked an awful lot like the one he was in now. As he had stared into it more and more closely, he’d felt like he was being drawn into it.

Then he blacked out, and woke up here.

Axl looked around, running his fingers through his wavy ponytail to dislodge some of the grass in it from lying down. He was trying to find any signs of the mirror in the grass.

There was no sign of the mirror. What he did find, though, was a small patch of cartoonishly large orange mushrooms, and a collection of tools leaning against a nearby tree stump; a short sword that looked like it had seen better days, a rather nondescript axe, and a surprisingly fancy pickaxe that seemed to be etched with faint runes. All three tools seemed to be made from copper.

Axl reached down and picked up the sword, examining it. The hilt and pommel almost resembled the characteristic trees surrounding him.

“What on Earth is-” he began as he reached into his back pocket for his embarrassingly old phone and flipped it open. He wanted to know what time it was, and see if he’d gotten any messages since he - what he assumed - had gone missing. Much to his chagrin, it wouldn’t turn on.

“…Geez, I just charged this thing,” he mumbled to himself, irritated. He shook his head and pocketed the useless electronic, idly letting the arm holding the sword swing, “How long was I out?” he asked nobody in particular.

“From what I saw, you more or less just arrived.”

“Wh-aah!” Axl jumped slightly, startled by the new voice, which he turned to face with his hands held up defensively, sword ready. Standing there was another man, looking about his age, with short hair, a long-sleeved gray shirt, and jeans, somehow appearing exceedingly unremarkable in spite of the fact that he seemed to have materialized out of basically nowhere. He was smiling a very sarcastic smile, unperturbed by having a weapon brandished in his direction.

Feeling like an idiot, Axl lowered the sword and adjusted his glasses, slightly askew from his start, “Alright, who are you?”

“The only person who’s going to help you get your footing here,” was the only response he got.

Axl tilted his head and waited for more of an explanation, maybe a proper name, but when he got none, he just arched a brow, “…Riight,” He wasn’t sure he trusted this guy, “And where am I?”

“Well, I’m sure lots of people have lots of different names for this land…” the other man waved, gesturing to the surroundings, “but most of the locals end up calling it Terraria.”

“Uh huh,” Axl sighed, arcing his neck back over-dramatically to gaze up at the sky, “Great, spirited away to some weird forest in the middle of nowhere and now a crazy person’s telling me that-”

A wet thump and unfamiliar motion in Axl’s peripheral vision nearly caused him to jump again, barely avoiding falling over due to his posture. A weird, globular blue shape appeared from the overgrowth, bounding clumsily in his direction.

This was definitely not just ‘some forest.’

“Don’t believe me if you don’t want to, but you’d best be prepared for even more surprises if you don’t,” the man pointed at the gelatinous organism, if it could even be called that, “For instance, that. Meet the most numerous of your new neighbors; the humble slime.”

“Uh… whoa,” Axl warily knelt down, holding up a hand to see if somehow this strange thing could perceive the gesture, “Hey there little buddy.” He mumbled, cautiously. Behind him, he could hear the other man snort, as if holding back a laugh. He turned momentarily to shoot a nasty glare back, before returning his attention to the slime.

The slime wiggled a bit and hopped closer. It almost seemed curious, and certainly not threatening. Not really thinking, Axl placed his hand on it. It had the bouncy consistency of cold gelatin. The other fellow chuckled.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

Axl turned, leaving his hand on the slime. The surface was pleasant under his palm, but it did little to stem his slowly rising temper, “Look, man, not to be rude, but why should I listen to you?”

“Let’s just say I’m a guide, here to keep you from dying within a minute of your arrival.” He held up a finger matter-of-factly, “My first piece of advice is to stop petting that slime and cut it up. You’re going to need the gel to make torches.”

“Right, because indiscriminately attacking the native wildlife unprovoked when it’s clearly passive is such a great ide-”

Before he could finish, Axl suddenly fell forward with a yelp as the gelatinous creature suddenly became a lot more fluid, causing him to fall over as his arm sunk into it up to his elbow. He quickly tried to push himself up to his feet, only for the slime to stick to his arm and come up with him.

He stared in horror as his skin began to dissolve inside the slime.

“-aaaAAAHHHH! WH-WHAT THE-AAAAAAGHH!!!” he tried to shake it off, but to no avail as it started to climb further up his arm, taking flesh with it, exposing muscle beneath, and bone in his fingers.

“Again, you should probably cut it up,” the other man said, calmly, with a patronizing smirk and exaggerated shrug, “The gel loses its ability to move and digest at lower volume.”

As smug as this jerk seemed to be, there was no other option. Axl frantically grabbed the ratty copper sword and began to stab furiously at the slime, carving pieces off, nearly taking off his own fingers. Once it was small enough, the rest of the slime simply dripped off, puddling on the ground and going inert.

It hurt. Axl sat down roughly, holding his mangled arm and breathing heavily. It hurt a lot. He’d have cried at the pain if it weren’t for the shock.

His shock was interrupted by a mushroom being shoved in his face, one of the large orange ones he’d seen nearby. The other fellow was holding it, still smirking, “Congratulations, you nearly died to one of the weakest creatures you’ll ever meet here.” The sarcasm almost burned more than the exposed muscle, “Eat this and you’ll feel brand new. Well, kind of.”

“L-like hell I am!” Axl backed off, nearly falling off the stump. He stood up, still holding his arm, growling at this smarmy know-it-all, “Like I’m just going to eat some random, poisonous-looking mushrooms off the ground in a strange place offered by a jerk like-”

“Ah, so you’re one of the stubborn types,” The guide backed up, holding up the mushroom and waving it a bit, “Like I said, I’m here to keep guys like you alive. Eat this, and you might stay that way.” He shrugged again, with a slight chuckle, “I mean, you’d get more out of it if you mixed it with some of that gel you just cut up, but first you’d need a bottle,” he held up a finger as he said that, then another, and another as he continued, “You could make bottles out of glass, which you could get by smelting sand in a furnace… but you’ll need stone and torches to make a furnace. And to make torches, you-”

Axl hissed both in anger and pain, “Oh, go to Hell-”

“Been there. You’ll know when you get there, yourself,” The guide’s smile was insufferable. Axl resisted the urge to spit.

“Tch-” He turned and stomped away. Now he really was tearing up. The burning in his arm was unbelievable, but all he wanted to do was get away from this jerk goading him.

The further he walked, though, the more he couldn’t ignore the pain, and it clouded his perception. He only realized that the surroundings had changed as he trudged along, with a sudden heat biting at his exposed arm, his foot sinking into… “…Sand…” Axl mumbled, eyes clearing slightly, “…He said sand could be made into glass, which could-”

He took a few more steps, when suddenly the loose ground gave way under him. With a surprised shout he tried to jab the sword into something, anything, to keep himself from falling into this new pit. However, when it lodged into the tougher soil just above the sand, the velocity at which he fell away with the sand caused him to lose his grip, drawing him into the pit.

He looked down just in time for a pair of heavy, razor-sharp mandibles to sink into his leg. The impossibly massive antlion’s red eyes gleamed for a second before it retreated into the soft sand, its new prey in tow.

“N-no no no NO NO NO NO-” Axl screeched as he reached upward, in vain, for the sword dangling in the soil above his head, but he was already waist-deep. Then chest-deep. Then shoulder. Then neck. He clawed frantically, but within seconds it was over his head. Soon, his flailing arm disappeared, as well. His screams were stifled by the sand filling his lungs and-

-he woke up.

With a start Axl sat up, clutching his throat, breathing ragged. He grabbed his wrist, which showed no signs of having just been digested by slime. It was as if nothing had happened.

The memory was so vivid, though.

“What-… what was… Was it just a dream-?” His eyes darted around. Everything was as it had been, with the pile of faintly wriggling gel to one side, the axe and pick still leaning on the stump. The guide was also there, sitting on said stump.

“Nope,” the guide smiled, looking amused, foot on a rock, elbow on his knee so he could rest his chin in his hand, “You totally just suffered a gruesome death by giant sand insect. Probably had your guts sucked out, followed by the rest of the moisture in your body,” The calmness of his smile was gone, replaced by a twisted sort of dark sarcasm that sent shivers down Axl’s spine, “Good thing you drowned in the sand before then, huh?” The gory description certainly didn’t help.

It was too much to take in all at once and Axl gave a shaky, terrified sigh as he reached into his other back pocket for his pack of cigarettes. When he found it was not on him, he whimpered, curling up and burying his face in his hands.

“So, Axl Colin Eyre,” Axl’s blood ran cold. How did this man know his full name..?

“You gonna start listening to me now?”

Edit: i guess these are gonna stay on tumblr then lol guess my work ain't worth much if it's not got shiny pictures on it

Last edited:
Wow, really nice, and a great interpretation of how a newcomer may act. I especially like the Guide's dialogue; it conveys some really cool foreshadowing.

Wow, really nice, and a great interpretation of how a newcomer may act. I especially like the Guide's dialogue; it conveys some really cool foreshadowing.
Thanks! Glad at least someone here read it, lol.

Haha, it seems there's not a whole lot of interest on the forum for prose in general, maybe I just have it in the wrong section (I only posted it here to keep it together with the rest of my stuff).

Fine, have a quick pic to go with the story lol

tumblr_ourhu8Khs01skn94eo1_1280.jpg

I probably won't be posting the rest of the story here until it's done (it's got a second chapter, will probably be 5 long as my outlines are currently showing), IF it gets done. If so, I may throw it onto its own thread.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be tending to this thread. I guess it depends on whether or not I do more involved art, which has been less appealing when I can have more fun drawing simpler stuff on Tumblr. Oh well.

Holy jesus, these are awesome!

*Ahem* Do you, erm, do requests?
Thank you, but please check the very top of artist threads. There is request information there.

I have never been open to requests and probably never will be because drawing free art for anyone who asks is a lot of time and energy I just I don't have relative to my other projects. Sorry.

If only because I don't typically follow threads, I'm afraid I didn't notice the short story above, but I actually am interested in reading more. :)

A blogdump because it's been a bit.

Expect to see a lot of stuff from my 'fic because I use them to answer questions now and you can't stop me.

IUZaEc6.png
Q: Hello Aberrant I'd like to present you the gift of 500 frogs please don't eat them
tumblr_inline_otxpy3r7S11r63w1v_500.jpg

why
Q: hey excelsior can you take off your helmet?
tumblr_inline_otzqq0nBwR1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_otzqq9kfnl1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_otzqqfM9Yf1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_otzqqpwmVI1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_otzqqwAHih1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_otzqr5oFcr1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_otzqrfSgDt1r63w1v_500.jpg
Q: Have you thought of the Corruption chasms as nests, dug by the eater of worlds to harbor the shadow orbs which are its/her eggs? That would explain its anger after breaking three. I hope I did not miss anything from your worldbuilding.

I never really did cover the Corruption in-depth, so you didn’t miss much of anything.

And before I get started, remember, this isn’t a theory as to what the devs may have intended, and this shouldn’t have any bearing on how other people may decided to worldbuild the Corruption. This is only how I’ve decided to characterize it for my own stuff.

The crux of my interpretation is that I don’t consider the Corruption creatures to be biological entities, seeing as they’re made of rotten flesh. They seem more like animated conglomerates pulled from a set of very similar templates, with a singular goal of spreading, killing, absorbing dead biomass, and spreading more.

tumblr_inline_ou13emMva01r63w1v_500.jpg

That said, the chasms ARE dug by the Eater of Worlds, but also all the other burrowing Corruption creatures, of which there are many. They’re just not a nest; they don’t need to breed since they’re not actually living things. It’s more for living space and surface area for spreading the corruption, especially in its weakened state.

tumblr_inline_ou13f18ZAm1r63w1v_500.jpg

The Shadow Orbs themselves aren’t eggs, they’re actually more like pearls, where random objects that have fallen into the chasms get coated in layers of demonite or a demonite-like material. This mainly explains why you can find some fairly mundane items inside of them, some older ones being sufficiently suffused with Corruption energy to have changed their nature (whilst more ‘modern’ objects, like the Musket, remain unchanged, simply from not having been there very long). Smaller and heftier 'pearls’ from minute particles are much denser can simply be taken, hence the light item.

tumblr_inline_ou13g6OHTZ1r63w1v_500.jpg

They still act as acute focuses, drawing in the soul energy upon which the Corruption denizens feed. It explains why you hear screams when you break them, and why destroying or stealing them enrages the Eater of Worlds, which tends them and carefully shapes them into the familiar orbs. Who really knows why. Probably something to do with optimizing distribution or the material matrix for keeping the energy stored until needed.
Q: Angler gives Aberrant a Beach Ball. Aberrant looks at it with "what am I supposed to do" face, While Angler is like ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )
tumblr_inline_ourdqiqa6L1r63w1v_500.gif

tumblr_inline_ourdqowgVT1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_ourdqwO90t1r63w1v_500.gif

inelegant snort-laughter intensifies
I0wa1lL.png
V5xdbot.png
H0okuZq.jpg

J5Rd0As.jpg

ogRfP5x.jpg

Terraria is a serious world for sensible people.
Q: Isn't weird for you that after defeafing Lunatic Cultist four giant things (that I'm not even sure what they are built of) JUST APPEARS, like, they teleported from somewhere?

Giant horrifying things appearing seemingly out of nowhere after completing some arbitrary prerequisite is certainly weird…

tumblr_inline_ow7ek2vDzf1r63w1v_500.jpg

…but not in any way surprising by the time any adventurer gets around to that point in their Terrarian lives.

tumblr_inline_ow7ezkigcB1r63w1v_500.jpg

…Assuming they make it that far…
Q: Don't mind me, I am just going to crash into anyone... and EVERYONE! *runs in with the basilisk mount*
tumblr_inline_ow7k98Svek1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_ow7k9jiq431r63w1v_500.jpg

To be honest, I baaarely use mounts. I think the two that see the most use are slime (since I get it early frequently and it has a few good uses, especially in Expert mode against some bosses), and the flying saucer (on the two characters who don’t have a press-down-while-flying-to-nyoom accessory).

As for favorite mount that I almost never use because I’ve only ever effing seen it drop while farming after it’s been made obsolete by wings?

tumblr_inline_ow7k9w04MV1r63w1v_500.jpg
Q: What are your headcannons for mimics?

A combination of factors. Those that emerge from statues are just automatons, originally made for security purposes, but so rudimentary that they just attack anything, making them not that effective as anything but spiteful traps.

tumblr_inline_ow8ynj2zeW1r63w1v_500.jpg

The legit ones in Harmode are just stronger souls released by the defeat of the Wall of Flesh. They disperse and start to animate a lot more than the usual undead, to the point of also targeting inanimate objects.

Though, in the case of chests, they are unique in that they tie back to the Keeper the way a number of my other personal flourishes do. The Keeper’s powers largely involve bending space, which can perform any number of feats from quick travel across long distances via mirrors, to storage.

tumblr_inline_ow8yo5Fgef1r63w1v_500.jpg

In the case of player storage (the ‘scrolls’ in Fell), chests, banks, etc., the reason they can all hold so much more than they reasonably should has to do with ooold, commonplace applications of the spatial-bending that humans stole from studying the Keeper’s artifacts. However, due to the Keeper’s status as a very powerful spirit, use of those powers does tend to attract other spirits and souls towards things infused with them.
tumblr_owapfojzOH1skn94eo1_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_owapfojzOH1skn94eo2_500.jpg

tumblr_owapfojzOH1skn94eo3_500.jpg

tumblr_owapfojzOH1skn94eo4_500.jpg

tumblr_owapfojzOH1skn94eo5_500.jpg

Something silly to break up the srs that Fell inevitably turned into. A random scene that came to mind at work, partially inspired by this clip (and the fact that Kiss from a Rose plays at work at least 6 times any given work week).

Did a bunch of the underlying sketch refining for this on today’s stream… tbh, I kind of like the sketches better for some of these lol
tumblr_owchnzD7KL1skn94eo1_500.jpg

FALSE ALARM, EVERYTHING’S AWFUL! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Q: after reading that chapter I'm just imagining the Guide just... sitting there, casually reading his book, and then all of a sudden bURSTS INTO FLAMES ON THE SPOT
tumblr_inline_oweg3qpOWl1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_oweg40846V1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_oweg47n46T1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_oweg4nDKPH1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_oweg4tPtu61r63w1v_500.jpg
Q: Do you think the cute fishron is a baby/juvenile duke fishron?
tumblr_inline_oweg9dE0Ju1r63w1v_500.jpg

Yep
Q: the guide knows your kinks
tumblr_inline_owegcwBzT01r63w1v_500.jpg

maybe, but do you really want a guy like him to let you know he has that information

Addendum: ALSO KNOWN AS MY STREAM CHAT REGULARS ARE WEIRD BUT I LOVE THEM
Q: I love how absolutely *done* Aura looks in your latest doodle. She should put Axl and Ren on child leashes.

“Absolutely done” is her default status.

tumblr_inline_owigdf50Jh1r63w1v_500.jpg

But she wouldn’t leash Ren… keeping him far away is probably better for all of them…

tumblr_inline_owigdqgduE1r63w1v_500.jpg
Q: How would Abomination react to being hugged?
tumblr_inline_owjxks2lUZ1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_owjxl5GbgZ1r63w1v_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_owjxle89hQ1r63w1v_500.jpg
Q: Another question (T-T), where did Alex get his/her suit? they made it by themself, or stole from somewhere/someone?

The core of what makes the Hallow so dangerous is how it relies very heavily on manipulating perception.

tumblr_inline_owjxs8NVTi1r63w1v_500.jpg

It’s only natural that a being drawing form and power from the Hallow would be a master illusionist. No physical suit required if your entire body isn’t real.
QBfJMv4.jpg
TfyTiLg.png

Edit: The lack of attention an artdump post like this got is precisely the reason I made this status update.

Updating this thread can be a huge chore, and if not a lot of people are gonna really care, I'm not sure if continued maintenance is worth the effort.

Last edited:

Expect to see a lot of stuff from my 'fic because I use them to answer questions now and you can't stop me.

IUZaEc6.png
Q: Hello Aberrant I'd like to present you the gift of 500 frogs please don't eat them

why

Q: Have you thought of the Corruption chasms as nests, dug by the eater of worlds to harbor the shadow orbs which are its/her eggs? That would explain its anger after breaking three. I hope I did not miss anything from your worldbuilding.

I never really did cover the Corruption in-depth, so you didn’t miss much of anything.

And before I get started, remember, this isn’t a theory as to what the devs may have intended, and this shouldn’t have any bearing on how other people may decided to worldbuild the Corruption. This is only how I’ve decided to characterize it for my own stuff.

The crux of my interpretation is that I don’t consider the Corruption creatures to be biological entities, seeing as they’re made of rotten flesh. They seem more like animated conglomerates pulled from a set of very similar templates, with a singular goal of spreading, killing, absorbing dead biomass, and spreading more.

That said, the chasms ARE dug by the Eater of Worlds, but also all the other burrowing Corruption creatures, of which there are many. They’re just not a nest; they don’t need to breed since they’re not actually living things. It’s more for living space and surface area for spreading the corruption, especially in its weakened state.

The Shadow Orbs themselves aren’t eggs, they’re actually more like pearls, where random objects that have fallen into the chasms get coated in layers of demonite or a demonite-like material. This mainly explains why you can find some fairly mundane items inside of them, some older ones being sufficiently suffused with Corruption energy to have changed their nature (whilst more ‘modern’ objects, like the Musket, remain unchanged, simply from not having been there very long). Smaller and heftier 'pearls’ from minute particles are much denser can simply be taken, hence the light item.

They still act as acute focuses, drawing in the soul energy upon which the Corruption denizens feed. It explains why you hear screams when you break them, and why destroying or stealing them enrages the Eater of Worlds, which tends them and carefully shapes them into the familiar orbs. Who really knows why. Probably something to do with optimizing distribution or the material matrix for keeping the energy stored until needed.
Q: Angler gives Aberrant a Beach Ball. Aberrant looks at it with "what am I supposed to do" face, While Angler is like ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

I0wa1lL.png
V5xdbot.png
H0okuZq.jpg

J5Rd0As.jpg

ogRfP5x.jpg

Q: Isn't weird for you that after defeafing Lunatic Cultist four giant things (that I'm not even sure what they are built of) JUST APPEARS, like, they teleported from somewhere?

Giant horrifying things appearing seemingly out of nowhere after completing some arbitrary prerequisite is certainly weird…

…but not in any way surprising by the time any adventurer gets around to that point in their Terrarian lives.

Q: Don't mind me, I am just going to crash into anyone... and EVERYONE! *runs in with the basilisk mount*

To be honest, I baaarely use mounts. I think the two that see the most use are slime (since I get it early frequently and it has a few good uses, especially in Expert mode against some bosses), and the flying saucer (on the two characters who don’t have a press-down-while-flying-to-nyoom accessory).

As for favorite mount that I almost never use because I’ve only ever effing seen it drop while farming after it’s been made obsolete by wings?

A combination of factors. Those that emerge from statues are just automatons, originally made for security purposes, but so rudimentary that they just attack anything, making them not that effective as anything but spiteful traps.

The legit ones in Harmode are just stronger souls released by the defeat of the Wall of Flesh. They disperse and start to animate a lot more than the usual undead, to the point of also targeting inanimate objects.

Though, in the case of chests, they are unique in that they tie back to the Keeper the way a number of my other personal flourishes do. The Keeper’s powers largely involve bending space, which can perform any number of feats from quick travel across long distances via mirrors, to storage.

In the case of player storage (the ‘scrolls’ in Fell), chests, banks, etc., the reason they can all hold so much more than they reasonably should has to do with ooold, commonplace applications of the spatial-bending that humans stole from studying the Keeper’s artifacts. However, due to the Keeper’s status as a very powerful spirit, use of those powers does tend to attract other spirits and souls towards things infused with them.

Something silly to break up the srs that Fell inevitably turned into. A random scene that came to mind at work, partially inspired by this clip (and the fact that Kiss from a Rose plays at work at least 6 times any given work week).

Did a bunch of the underlying sketch refining for this on today’s stream… tbh, I kind of like the sketches better for some of these lol

Q: after reading that chapter I'm just imagining the Guide just... sitting there, casually reading his book, and then all of a sudden bURSTS INTO FLAMES ON THE SPOT

Yep

maybe, but do you really want a guy like him to let you know he has that information

Q: I love how absolutely *done* Aura looks in your latest doodle. She should put Axl and Ren on child leashes.

But she wouldn’t leash Ren… keeping him far away is probably better for all of them…

Q: Another question (T-T), where did Alex get his/her suit? they made it by themself, or stole from somewhere/someone?

The core of what makes the Hallow so dangerous is how it relies very heavily on manipulating perception.

It’s only natural that a being drawing form and power from the Hallow would be a master illusionist. No physical suit required if your entire body isn’t real.
QBfJMv4.jpg
TfyTiLg.png
YES! A ton of stuff to read.

Just a silly thing I'm adding here for fun; a mild rewrite of some parts of Dig Deeper, mostly to either make slightly better rhymes, or to just make it more 'relevant', which I'd done over on Tumblr like 4 months ago:

I’m a survivalist in Terraria
Starin’ down death’s never been merrier
There was a time I could barely build barriers
Now I’m a legendary heavy weapon carrier

If I come across a chest or fish up a crate
You know I’m all about the loot, better now than late
I don’t just smelt bars, I’ll be smithin’ ‘em up
And even though I’m digging down, now I’m living it up

Started cuttin’ trees, choppin’ from the bottom
Now every item that can drop, yo, I got ‘em
Keep an eye over your shoulder when there’s no more sun
This is living in the wilderness 101

Farm up some gel to make yourself some torches
Won’t run outta sticks; you are in a forest
Start off with a copper short sword
But the deeper that you dig, you’re gonna find more

Check out my fancy bow
You know I’m on a roll
Got a sweet winter cloak
For when it starts to snow

Fancy boots let me walk on water
Hit the anvil, hammer out some armor
So when you roam alone in the dark of night
You don’t gotta be concerned with a zombie bite

But if they go you cornered and you can’t get through
Chug a potion and you’ll feel brand new
See, I’ve been through stuff much scarier
This is just another day in Terraria

[CHORUS]
When night starts to fall (DIG DEEPER)
You’ll get through it all (DIG DEEPER)
When all else is lost (DIG DEEPER)
You can dig deep, but you can always DIG DEEPER!

The early bird will get the worm
At the crack of dawn, better get to work
Forget about diamonds, just mine some ore
And when you find supplies, use them to find some more

Stars shine bright, from the heavens they fall
If you wanna use magic, better collect them all
Craft at an altar while you cook up some salmon
There’s nothin’ I can’t handle when I get my jam on

Every one of Skeletron’s bones is broken
Got the Eater of World hopelessly chokin’
Wall of Flesh down, all its souls I’ll hoard
And soon I’ll go toe to toe with the Moon Lord!

There’s so many Hardmode bosses
But I’m so good it ain’t fair, yeah?
By the time the sun rises tomorrow
I’ll be the king of Terraria!

[CHORUS]

“Something maddening in the shadows out there
I’ll engage in existential conversations with thin air…
Oh, the traveling merchant!
What new goods have you in tow?
Uh, you should get going.
There’s rumbling deep below….”

See you around!
Time to get down!
To business!

Got a lotta coins, savin’ up the plat
Gotta reforge all this new gear, stat!
Forget the bow and arrow, made a gun with Might
And one day, I’ll be decked out in Luminite!

But when I’m far form my home and I find a biome
Like the Crimson, yes, this is why I roam!
Awful monsters, Crimslime and Crawla’s
Swim in the Jungle, you might find piranhas!

Speaking of teeth and freaking huge chompers
You’ll find lots of ‘em in the Corruption
Eaters of Souls swarm and block out the sun
Be nothin’ but rotten chunks when I’m done

I’ve made a lot of enemies within Terraria
You say you’re Legendary?
I’m Legendary-er!

[CHORUS]

IUZaEc6.png

why

I0wa1lL.png
V5xdbot.png
H0okuZq.jpg

J5Rd0As.jpg

ogRfP5x.jpg

Yep

QBfJMv4.jpg
TfyTiLg.png
I love I really love the ocram one.

Anyways i love all of these, keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom