Daimera's Content Tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant to do this back on TO, but never got around to it because I never felt really inspired by the design I had in mind at the time. Then, while trying to figure out the wing design for it, I was suddenly struck with a better idea, so here we go. This being rounds out the biome NPCs, alongside Aberrant and Abomination.

This is Anomaly.
xAEHrkZ.png

- Purpose - When summoned, Anomaly will take the place of an NPC currently living in your base. When that happens, that NPC will die, and Anomaly will become a glowing pink copy of them in a black suit (or suit dress, for female NPCs). Anomaly will follow you around wherever you go, allowing you constant access to that NPCs function anywhere in the world. This is mostly useful for either healing (Nurse), specific vendors (need ammo or explosives on the go? Arms Dealer or Demolitionist), or just to have a vendor to dump items over to while exploring.

A new NPC of the type that was just killed in Anomaly's summoning will respawn in the next two days or so, pending their other requirements. This prevents trolling users from 'permanently' removing vital NPCs from a base in multiplayer.

Anomaly would follow the player with an AI similar to that of a ground-based vanity pet, and would teleport to your location over long distances or if caught behind an obstruction. If you fly, it will also fly after you.

Anomaly's HP and defense are slightly higher than all the other NPCs as it is still susceptible to damage from hostiles and needs to be slightly resistant to it. Care must be taken to protect Anomaly if continued functionality is desired. It's tough enough to not die too quickly to most monsters found during general world exploration in hardmode, but will still die quickly to much harder-hitting creatures, such as bosses, so thinking you'll have an on-hand instaheal-for-money during a boss fight is not going to cut it.

It will attempt to teleport out of lava, but will not teleport away from monsters. Protecting it from those is your job. Protecting it from bad pathing AI is not.

Anomaly can be summoned with its item regardless of whether or not a particular world is in hardmode, merely requiring that you've gotten NPCs housed on another world that can be replaced. Moderately useful for farming on throwaway worlds that exist only to collect certain materials, as it can be used to sell extraneous items that have any value while freeing up space for whatever is being collected.

Overall, though, not HORRIBLY useful (as if the other two are?), and more of a concept to round out a theme. Aberrant wants to be your friend and tries to make some accommodations without losing his own identity. Abomination wants to be your friend, but demands you change everything to suit him. Anomaly wants to be your friend and will drop everything, including the definition of self, to suit you.

- Acquisition - Anomaly would be tied to some item that'd be difficult to obtain. Original idea was to make it crafted from a Rod of Discord, but that's just asking for trouble. Obtaining the item itself and having it in your inventory will give the chance for Anomaly to spawn randomly around the base in a 'default' form (a more amorphous, featureless chaos elemental-esque humanoid in a suit). It will not settle in a room, being content to just hang around doing and saying nothing. It probably shares spawning parameters as the Traveling Merchant, and comes and goes without a word.

When the item in question is taken from the inventory by mouse, hovered over an NPC's picture in the housing menu, and clicked, that NPC will die and Anomaly will take on that NPC's image.

While Anomaly is active for a player, that player will have a "debuff" preventing further use of the item until Anomaly dies. Unlike a usual debuff, it can be cancelled like a beneficial buff, but if it is right-clicked for removal, Anomaly will die. If the player dies, they will not lose the debuff on respawn, and Anomaly will return to spawn once the player respawns, provided it is not killed by whatever environment it was left in that caused the player to die in the first place.

- Names - Anomaly will take on the name of the NPC you just offed as part of its summoning. Enjoy.

- Dialogue - This is actually eerily easy, as Anomaly will simply take on the dialogue of the NPC it replaced. However, it will drop any dialogue that refers specifically to other NPCs by name, and it will not take on any negative, snappy, or otherwise hostile dialogue/actions that NPCs would normally take during Blood Moons or in other situations. For all intents and purposes, Anomaly is a particularly positive individual, albeit homicidal.

The only difference is that it may occasionally also say "All I want is for you to be happy."

Before being settled into a form, Anomaly will only say "..." and nothing else, or simply can't be interacted with.

- Copyright - Vague Kaworu reference? Vague Kaworu reference.

I want to preemptively emphasize that this isn't really a suggestion or something I think would work in the game. I just like to give fancharacters that I make mechanics that'd fit them into their respective settings.

Dat's stwange.
How often do I draw things that aren't, though? Not very.

Looks awesome, but I don't want any of the vendors following me around!
Nobody said you had to! Anomaly's services are completely optional, if that would suit you best! It just thinks that the other vendors are too lazy and cowardly, hanging around in town while the adventurer does all the hard work. The adventurer deserves better. Deserves townsfolk who are more daring, outgoing, and available. It's definitely not an ulterior motive to convince the adventurer that the Hallow is good while selectively eliminating anyone who'd get in the way, nope.

Double-posting my own thread because I can because yay more art.

eQ63Tvy.png

I’ve been wanting to practice cyborgs ever since MGR:R, since one of my original settings has, like, 90% of its primary cast consisting of cyborgs, but I’m still not comfortable sharing that setting. Just fanarting MGR:R doesn’t help since I’d just be copying their existing designs so it doesn’t help me figure out how to design my own characters based on my old templates.

So I figured, hey, let’s do more Terraria fanart, people seem to like that a lot. Cyborg NPC got a new paintjob in one of the spoilers, so why not.

Of course this is dripping MGR:R inspiration, though incidentally enough not really from Sundowner, it just looks that way because bald buff robot man (the sprite is bald, I didn’t really have a choice).

Nanomachines

Double-posting my own thread because I can because yay more art.

eQ63Tvy.png

I’ve been wanting to practice cyborgs ever since MGR:R, since one of my original settings has, like, 90% of its primary cast consisting of cyborgs, but I’m still not comfortable sharing that setting. Just fanarting MGR:R doesn’t help since I’d just be copying their existing designs so it doesn’t help me figure out how to design my own characters based on my old templates.

So I figured, hey, let’s do more Terraria fanart, people seem to like that a lot. Cyborg NPC got a new paintjob in one of the spoilers, so why not.

Of course this is dripping MGR:R inspiration, though incidentally enough not really from Sundowner, it just looks that way because bald buff robot man (the sprite is bald, I didn’t really have a choice).

Nanomachines
Redigits hair! thats badass!

Oh hey, some new ones popped up. It's hard for me to see the Cyborg all serious, because, well, I'm the Sims Guy, and hes a goofy looking dude in my represenation of him, ha

Dang! That is awesome. I love the colors the the little nanos(?) coming off his hands. Great touch. :D
Yep! Nanomachines, son!

Oh hey, some new ones popped up. It's hard for me to see the Cyborg all serious, because, well, I'm the Sims Guy, and hes a goofy looking dude in my represenation of him, ha
I like badass looking cyborgs, haha. And, really, looking badass and being a dork were never truly mutually exclusive.

ljG2b01.png

Re-logic needs to hire you.
They already have an Oni who is FAAAAAR more versatile artistically than I am. Thanks, though!

I wouldn't say that, you have differing styles. Suweeka's style officially fits the game better, but you give a wonderful glimpse into Terraria' darker sides.
I only said, in that remark, that oni was more versatile, nothing more! I don't judge myself against oni's work in terms of objective quality. That'd just be an exercise in frustration and demotivation.

Suweeka's capable of being hella dark, too. For instance, I'm particularly fond of oni's representations of the WoF and oni's Floaty Gross, both of which I think are better than mine in terms of execution and atmosphere. I just spend way more of my time with just the dark stuff, where Suweeka does a wide variety, with much more action, vibrant color, and general dynamic flair. I just draw monsters and stuff.

The way I see it, I'm more fit for concept art than I am for promotional stuff. I'm pretty sure Re-Logic doesn't need more concept artists. :dryadtongue:

AAaaaaaaarrrrt Thread! :D

I *think* i commented on the one on TO, so I'll comment here too! Really like Abberant and Anomaly. 10/10 would like added to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom