Daimera's Content Tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I suggest one of female NPCs? I wonder how you could make female character. (I know you maked about two, but they have armor)

I can't promise they'll be soon but yeah, I'll prolly do some of the human NPCs if I don't eventually draw them all, and the ladies are definitely on that list.

Also, I've drawn at least four female characters (excluding the Floaty Gross pics). :> Dai (birdface, also the werewolf), Auraion (the mage), Arynna, and Arline (the armored ones I figure you're referring to).

I don't draw females too often because I have a real hard time not same-facing them, but whenever I try to make them significantly different, people just think I'm drawing a feminine dude if the character isn't drawn to be super curvy/busty or is drawn in very concealing clothes that don't show off a figure. While I'm not positive that's entirely my fault and is partly to do with media conditioning, it's still not a great position to be in artistically, and while it's something I intend to work on, that kind of practice would be best left out of the fan art until I've figured something out.

While I'm here, have a short story-esque snippet that came to mind earlier today before my volunteer shift. Not sure what made me think about the goblins. I think it was from watching Dwarf Fortress videos and wondering what the Terrarian goblins' motivations were. This is where my brain went with that. Naturally, it takes some liberties with and disregards some existing dialogue in order to paint a more dramatic picture, but hey. I like coming up with this sorta thing.
The goblins rarely bothered with humans.

Reclusive by nature, they kept themselves hidden away in their isolated kingdom. Having witnessed the downfall of the original humans, they waited, watching apprehensively as more, similar yet somehow different, descended from the stars. So long as the flimsy, ignorant intruders kept their distance and knew nothing of their presence, the goblins had no quarrel with them.

Until one day, one young goblin took matters into his own hands. This youth was fascinated by humans. He watched them toil away with their ill-suited and often malfunctioning technology, as they tried to get used to the planet's unusual atmosphere of magic. He wanted to help. So one day, he disappeared, snuck off to meet with the humans and learn more of their ways. His disappearance wasn't unnoticed, but the others thought him dead in the wilderness. They didn't know his plans.

That is, until the day he returned. Dressed in strange, human clothes, he bore fantastic stories of their varied culture and far-reaching colonies. Of the strange other beings that arrived and were trying to settle alongside them. He brought these stories, and the goblins feared.

But that fear was replaced swiftly by wrath.

"You fool! You could have led them straight to us! They are a threat to our people, our way of life! Don't you remember the tales?! It was the carelessness of humans that brought the creeping evil! It was their counsel that ruined our countermeasures!"

The youth tried to reason with them, "But... but these are different! I think, if we help them, we can put an end to the evils!"

"It is folly. For your actions, we are no longer safe in our own home. Our only option now is to remove these newcomers before they can get further footing. Set up secondary fortresses. Destroy their small encampments. Send scouts out; if they start breaking the evils from their resting places, we will know they are up to no good. And you..."

"...If you love them so much, you can rot with them in the depths where they belong. We'll even be nice and give you a head start..."

Magmanubis-jokesprite3x.gif

welp. nice art tho... the gif is as long as dis!!

Good lord, these are absolutely stunning! The sheer quantity of talent I don't possess is staggering, and I applaud you, ma'am!

I do hope to someday rise to a level of understanding of the arts that you have, to really succeed in what I draw. Only problem is that that's a long ways off, but at least I'm working on it.

Anyways, as I said, these are just incredible. I love the way you illustrate the Crimson and its inhabitants, with the rows and rows of sharp teeth. Perfectly fitting, I must say.

I hope you have an excellent day, ma'am. I know I certainly will, knowing that such masterpieces as these exist.

Last edited:
In other news, Jimmarn singling out the animu-haired face monster of all my pictures still makes me chuckle because it was kind of meant as a joke, but now that it's legit I couldn't help but prove that I am the last person to be entrusted with that kind of information AND I am horrifically immature and irresponsible when it comes to owning Manga Studio.

6AsKOOb.jpg

I'll start adding more thumbnails to the OP when I get more new pics, but as long as the thread is relatively young, I'll just leave them here to terrify you all. 83

Haha, awesome. But to be perfectly honest, I actually never intended it to be hair in the sprite, nor brains. More of this shell/scale thing. Like the Crimeras. But it just looks so awesome. Love it.
Sorry for such a late response

Haha, awesome. But to be perfectly honest, I actually never intended it to be hair in the sprite, nor brains. More of this shell/scale thing. Like the Crimeras. But it just looks so awesome. Love it.

This is one of my favourite things to hear from developers etc, bits like this about the game's history, whether its engine quirks, unimplemented content, or art history, or more, so thanks for sharing that. The headplate on these creatures has had me wondering for a long time

Ah, Daimera is female? Terribly sorry about saying 'sir,' then, my mistake. A quick edit will fix that.
Don't worry, I get it a lot and it never comes across as insulting to me. :> I usually just find it funny because it not only happens so much, but a majority of the scary monster artists I know online and associate with/am inspired by are female. It's mostly an amusing irony.

Oh, wow, I definitely wouldn't have expected that! That changes everything!... ... or would, if I hadn't already gotten the goreified variations burned into my thinking matter more or less permanently. Though had I known it was a shell, that would have changed my initial impressions of them drastically and I probably would have gone with something more like this:
3lWSuE8.jpg

SUPER quick mockup, like, 20 minutes or so.

... but instead, I equated them more with the Amnesia grunts right off the bat, and took the direction of straight up gore and organs and body horror and such from the surroundings, which I ended up growing attached to. :S . Exposed brain was my initial interpretation. The hair variant was actually just a joke originally, based on some people who talked about how Floaty Gross reminded them of Gardevoir. Or something.

Don't worry, I get it a lot and it never comes across as insulting to me. :> I usually just find it funny because it not only happens so much, but a majority of the scary monster artists I know online and associate with/am inspired by are female. It's mostly an amusing irony.

Oh, wow, I definitely wouldn't have expected that! That changes everything!... ... or would, if I hadn't already gotten the goreified variations burned into my thinking matter more or less permanently. Though had I known it was a shell, that would have changed my initial impressions of them drastically and I probably would have gone with something more like this:
3lWSuE8.jpg

... but instead, I equated them more with the Amnesia grunts right off the bat, and took the direction of straight up gore and organs and body horror and such from the surroundings, which I ended up growing attached to. :S . Exposed brain was my initial interpretation. The hair variant was actually just a joke originally, based on some people who talked about how Floaty Gross reminded them of Gardevoir. Or something.
I have to say that i'm so used to your gore variant of the Face monster that this looks rather bizarre, still great though.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but I like how you did your original concepts better, Daimera!

The shell-type "sketch" is still better than anything in my ability to create, however, and was very well done.

These are all awesome! I especially like the Cyborg, the Witch Doctor, the Truffle and the Anomaly, and your sprites are really good. Also, are you planning to do anything related to the Contagion? Because I think that something from that would be pretty awesome to see in your style. (Although that carapaced Face Monster would also be awesome).

Last edited:

3lWSuE8.jpg

Awesome work. Yeah I get how you ended up in that path, but I actually didn't think about amnesia at all when I concepted them out, I was originally trying to do something original, going from random shapes sketched down and developed into something. If you take this sketch, and do something inbetween the one with hair(The head and bodyshape), you would end up with pretty much the exact thing I have on a bad concept sketch here somewhere in one of my sketchbooks. Great work once again! You never stop to amaze me. Keep it up, I love seeing this.

Edit: Here's a quick sketch
upload_2014-10-28_14-43-33.png

Last edited:
Awesome work. Yeah I get how you ended up in that path, but I actually didn't think about amnesia at all when I concepted them out, I was originally trying to do something original, going from random shapes sketched down and developed into something. If you take this sketch, and do something inbetween the one with hair(The head and bodyshape), you would end up with pretty much the exact thing I have on a bad concept sketch here somewhere in one of my sketchbooks. Great work once again! You never stop to amaze me. Keep it up, I love seeing this.
Hmm, that kinda makes me think; wouldn't Face monsters look much more badass if they had plating similar to Crimeras on their backs? It would make that one lone shell on their head look less silly? I'll see if I can do some spriting to show what I mean.

Edit: Something like this
QbiYQVR.png

It's a poor representation of what I had in mind, due to haste, but I think it at least gives an idea.

Last edited:
These are all awesome! I especially like the Cyborg, the Witch Doctor, the Truffle and the Anomaly, and your sprites are really good. Also, are you planning to do anything related to the Contagion? Because I think that something from that would be pretty awesome to see in your style. (Although that carapaced Face Monster would also be awesome).
It's definitely something I have under consideration, but I'm holding off on it until I can feel confident that community members will be mature and respectful of my decisions to pick favorite suggestions or other community spriters' works to draw from, without doing the whole "Why them and not MEEEEEE????!?!" thing. I know I've got a pretty respectable close following that knows me well enough not to do that (no doubt thanks to my warpaths on TO), it's more the outliers I'm worried about.

To be perfectly honest, it wasn't the design that made me think of Amnesia. It was the name. "Wow, the trees are weird and melty, this must be the 'Crimson' named in the soundtrack. Kinda sad this didn't gen in our multiplayer game. Hey, floating bug-variants of the Eaters, that's a pretty neat aesthetic. Whoa is that a fleshy spider? Whoa is it dropping vertebr-WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFfff*mouseover*fffface...? Ah, must be an Amnesia reference." 8S

Hmm, that kinda makes me think; wouldn't Face monsters look much more badass if they had plating similar to Crimeras on their backs? It would make that one lone shell on their head look less silly? I'll see if I can do some spriting to show what I mean.
It kinda looks fluffy, d'awwww, hahaha. XD

Hey, while we have Jimmarn here, zombies and skeletons/dungeon skeletons have a plethora of alternate sprites, as do hornets and demon eyes. Wouldn't it be neat if more enemy types had a few alternate sprites as well? ;D *wink wink nudge nudge*

Rough sketches, just playing around with goblin faces.

Not sure if I'll settle on one, multiple, or kinda mix something up from these. I really could keep going on subtler variations, but then it'd probably never end.

Edit: Added some color, which helps. A lot.

QQihcBv.jpg

1. Sorta generic-ish goblin. Nothing too special, just the first thing that came to mind without directly referencing anything. Pulled the features out a bit just to see if it'd work. The sprite implies more of a snout than flat face with protruding features.

2. Somewhat sharklike, a bit more snouty. A bit reminiscent of one of my hijacked headworld aliens facially (though without the majestic mane or arms growing out of their heads), but at the same time not quite. I'm mostly partial to this one, since I think it mixes the snout with the differentiated nose best.

3. Somewhat more anime-esque. Fairly simple, probably the most likely, even if I'm not fully leaning towards it. It's mostly nose, but the face is still flat behind it.

4. Very WoW-inspired. Not sure I care for it. Again, the flat face with protruding features thing doesn't seem as fitting to the sprite, but it's also the sort of style I see more people being familiar with.

5. Based off the sprite's general lack of facial detail. What I'd mostly just call "Lemming-faced" (it's the same sort of snout I'd draw Lemmings with back in high school and early college when I did a lot of worldbuilding for it trying to link together all the dead games surrounding the Tribes lore and the Adventures of Lomax. Yeah, I'm a huge dork. But it was really good worldbuilding practice). Not too partial to it because I, well, just see a bald Lemming with ears. It just throws me off.

6. In short, "Scars of Mirrodin Goblin" (I'm a big M:TG fan). In long, I find them oddly endearing in their departure from common goblin depictions, though it doesn't match the sprite at all. Really, I just wanted an excuse to draw a Scars of Mirrodin goblin, hahahaha. They're mostly mouth and I find that hilarious.

Alternatively, they could ALL be legit and goblins just have a hella wide diversity of facial features, either from castes or geographical separation/proximity to forces of change (for instance, 6 could be from a fortress built too close to an encroaching Crimson). Who knows. All I know is that none of these is a direct base for the Tinkerer because he has really, really short ears, though he'd most likely be closer to 3. idek.

I'll probably play around with it more off to the side, but I figured some people would find some amusement in my development processes for these sorta things.

Last edited:
I really like 3, 4, and 5.

• Three is my favorite over all. It kind of happily balances all the good features from the rest of them. (Just don't make it too much like the Cyborg, he'll(?) be offended!)
  • Four has the best nose, imo, but the rest of the details are too sharp/muscular/thick for me.
  • Five reminds me of the ones in-game the most. As you said, it's probably the lack-of-detail.

Just my opinions; hoping they make your decision easier or at least more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom