Daimera's Content Tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threw some color onto the pic, which actually has a significant influence on how well they read. 5 resonates a lot more with the goblin skintone in place; as a sketch my brain was just auto-substituting Lemming skintone. I'm still partial to 2, but then again, I'm really stubborn once I jot down something I like.

I'm still haven't sold myself on them all being the different castes, but I decided to include all the caste skintones just to get an idea (though, technically, Scouts are short-eared). 5 would be the most viable universal, though 1 through 4 could possibly be a legitimate range of existing morphological differences. 6 is straight up out, but still makes me chuckle.

Threw some color onto the pic, which actually has a significant influence on how well they read. 5 resonates a lot more with the goblin skintone in place; as a sketch my brain was just auto-substituting Lemming skintone. I'm still partial to 2, but then again, I'm really stubborn once I jot down something I like.

I'm still haven't sold myself on them all being the different castes, but I decided to include all the caste skintones just to get an idea (though, technically, Scouts are short-eared). 5 would be the most viable universal, though 1 through 4 could possibly be a legitimate range of existing morphological differences. 6 is straight up out, but still makes me chuckle.
Hmm. I could kinda see 6 end up a Warrior actually, something about that more brutish look really fits with my interpretation of them.

Hmm, that kinda makes me think; wouldn't Face monsters look much more badass if they had plating similar to Crimeras on their backs? It would make that one lone shell on their head look less silly? I'll see if I can do some spriting to show what I mean.

Edit: Something like this
QbiYQVR.png

It's a poor representation of what I had in mind, due to haste, but I think it at least gives an idea.

What is that, a lost member of an 80s hair metal band? :p

Hmm. I could kinda see 6 end up a Warrior actually, something about that more brutish look really fits with my interpretation of them.
That's actually the reason I gave it the warrior palette! It seemed like, of the castes, it would fit that most. Though I'm still not sold on it really fitting into Terraria as an extant caste, since it still strikes me more as a theoretical corrupted/mutated variant. It's just too far a departure from the others.

That or its an exaggeration of Daimera's anime hair one. Or maybe its Omnir in a face monster suit?
#BlameOmnir
Omnir confirmed for Super Saiyan 3 Face Monster ????????

But I am loving the colors. The green color is the most pleasing for me to view, but the blue-ish color reminds me the most of the in-game goblins.
They're all based on in-game colors! They're just a bit more saturated because I threw on some dodge and burn to make cheap gradients for super quick coloring. But the base coat before I added said dodge and burn was sampled off sprites. 1 is Scout, 2 is Thief, 3 is Peon, 4 is Sorcerer, 5 is Archer, and 6 is (as mentioned prior) Warrior. Not necessarily because I think those head shapes correspond to those classes (except for Sorcerer and Warrior, I assigned those first since they're the biggest departures), mostly just because I wanted to see them all represented. I was actually surprised just how blue the Scout and Archer schemes turned out to be with all the colors scaled up and compared!

I'm mostly just taking preferences into consideration but not settling into anything. I'll probably ultimately do a caste variation, the question is where I choose to set the range and if that range even includes what I've already shown and not something else. This may never even come to fruition as anything more than some sketches, it's just something that caught my motivation when it did just before my move.

To those who don't know (it was buried in my statuses), I'm going to be moving out of state to an apartment of my own on the 2nd, so I'll be a bit more scarce for a while once I settle down due to getting the place in order, setting up internet, and looking for a job. Moving states is hard enough as-is; when the state being moved from is a tiny, isolated rock that couldn't be further from any continental mass if it tried, that move becomes way, waaay harder!

Do you mind if I use your Crimrose sprite for my suggestion? I'll give you credit and link to here. Also, you should probably link the main page to the Truffle and the plants.

Do you mind if I use your Crimrose sprite for my suggestion? I'll give you credit and link to here. Also, you should probably link the main page to the Truffle and the plants.
Sure, go ahead! It was originally made for a TO Crimson expansion megathread thingie and I never got around to really finding a new one to throw it at.

As for adding stuff to the OP, I'll get around to that when I finally un-lazy myself enough to make thumbnails for the things I'm missing, hahaha. T3T;; Okay, done.

Last edited:
I don't know how I missed the artwork of the Truffle. It's awesome.

the-lego-movie-awesome-e1392309318427.png

I saw you were unsure about the Crimson backstory, when I did the concept of it some time ago now. I imagined a land, a cursed land, where bacteria evolved completely differently. Resulting in completely new lifeforms. Can't go and say that is the official term of it, but it was my explanation for it in the concept phase.

I saw you were unsure about the Crimson backstory, when I did the concept of it some time ago now. I imagined a land, a cursed land, where bacteria evolved completely differently. Resulting in completely new lifeforms. Can't go and say that is the official term of it, but it was my explanation for it in the concept phase.
Remind me much of the corruption tough

That's very interesting! Though I have to agree a bit with...
Remind me much of the corruption tough
...in that it does seem like that narrative would fit the Corruption. Corruption has more of an alien horror aesthetic, their malleable/modular nature seeming to match with the idea of colonial microorganisms coalescing to form more complicated bodies. Something, while not completely different to traditional biology, is still applied in a different manner to what currently exists. Whereas the Crimson feels more like an uncanny horror, the horror of taking the familiar and twisting it into something squeamish. Vertebrates, arthropods, cephalopods, cnidarians, all familiar, just... mutated.

Unless the idea is that the "completely new lifeform" isn't what we encounter in the game itself as active, aggressive enemies, but rather what overarching entity either died or simply descended to create the biome in the first place, with the alien bacteria spreading to native organisms to mutate them. Or sampling the DNA of native organisms to create its own variants. Sometimes succeeding. Sometimes failing.

There are just so many layers to how these things could be interpreted, when and if they're open to interpretation.

I still find the conceptual origins fascinating, and it also give me a bit of a giggle because it really puts into perspective just how much many of us tend to try to overthink these things relative to their origins. Like me. Especially me. XD I probably wouldn't be here if this game didn't give me such a vibrant and strange world to completely and unnecessarily overthink. What can I say? Worldbuilding is my passion! Perhaps more so than art.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't been active much. The move took quite a bit out of me and I'm still acclimating to being in a studio on my own in the cold with a busted finger. Suffice to say, I haven't had much time to sit around and draw, but I did manage to polish off this one not-Terraria-related thing, which I started on the plane ride and only picked back up last night.

VJZCXLo.jpg
It's not really anything in particular, I just random monster bloop when I have no direction. It could be one of two characters of mine, but at the same time neither. Also, this is sort of the kind of thing I initially thought the Wall of Flesh would be when it was described as being made up of "spare bodyparts" before it was officially revealed.

Since it is not Terraria-related, it will not go into the OP. I'm only sharing it because it's all I've done recently. :\

It's cold and I'm afraid to go outside and do anything because it's cold, hahaha. I'm just waiting it out for a little while, clearing out my week+ of YouTube subscription backlog since I hadn't been watching it while settling in, and of course Binding of Isaac: Rebirth came out so there are, like, sixty videos of it to catch up on. :dryadconfused:

It's cold and I'm afraid to go outside and do anything because it's cold, hahaha. I'm just waiting it out for a little while, clearing out my week+ of YouTube subscription backlog since I hadn't been watching it while settling in, and of course Binding of Isaac: Rebirth came out so there are, like, sixty videos of it to catch up on. :dryadconfused:
Hell yeah, Binding of Isaac alsohas me caught in it! Did you beat mom's heart yet?

Hell yeah, Binding of Isaac alsohas me caught in it! Did you beat mom's heart yet?
I've only played twice, unlocked the womb then got :red:ed by Strange Attractor. XD After that I haven't had time to play between housekeeping and YouTube.

Confirmed.

trying for SS4. I've got the red hair going.

PS: you could easily make a mod of this stuff >: D
Others could easily make a mod, I can't mod worth arse. XD But I'm sure others could figure it out. Eikester already modded in the drinks, which I'm excited to try out once I can get a stable internet connection (I'm still tethering to my cellphone internet) and can download my GoG copy of Terraria, which I'm gonna designate as my mods copy. ;>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom