Game Mechanics Damage types for Weapons and Magic

Berry

Plantera
I think it would be a good idea to give weapon types different types of damage, for example making Swords do Slashing damage, Spears do Piercing damage (Along with most arrows), and Flails doing Bludgeoning damage. Enemies would for this have weaknesses and resistances for certain types of damage, but doesn't have to be significant.

For magic i feel like many spells should be dealing elemental damage, rather than a common "magic damage". I feel like this would bring more depth to combat. As an example Water Bolt would be dealing water damage, and be more effective against fire based enemies, but also deal a bit less to water or ice based enemies.

This would change the entire battle system at this point, and I don't think that's the best thing to do. For Terraria standards, this would just complicate things that don't need to be complicated.

If a game were to be built from the ground up on this system, it would work. But Terraria is already a long game, and I don't really think it would work here. The idea itself isn't that bad though.

I feel like complexity would be a welcome change though. Makes it a lot more fun to carry more than your "strongest" weapon. Having to have more weapons to deal with a large variety of enemies would make the game more enjoyable, at least for me.

Once again, it's just not what Terraria was built upon. It just wouldn't work for a game this far into development. As I said before, this is a completely different system.

That's like if Pokemon completely dropped the Type system and only focused on building upon physical at special attacks, it's just not what the game is built on.

Once again, it's just not what Terraria was built upon. It just wouldn't work for a game this far into development. As I said before, this is a completely different system.

That's like if Pokemon completely dropped the Type system and only focused on building upon physical at special attacks, it's just not what the game is built on.

Yeah ;p

As others had said this idea would not work for a practically complete game. I think it would be a cool idea for a new game though.

Enemies would for this have weaknesses and resistances for certain types of damage
Or just utilize the existing damage types; melee, magic, range and summon. There is no real difference between the four except their mechanics, but the way they deal damage are the same. Adding the extra tags seem unnecessary work when we already have four that aren't even used.

I could see this for Terraria: Otherworld, as an expansion to game mechanics already present, but for this game? No.

Pitch this in the Terraria: Otherworld section, though, and it might get in- this idea would require extensive recoding, but the code is still being made for that game, so you might as well try.

I could see this for Terraria: Otherworld, as an expansion to game mechanics already present, but for this game? No.

Pitch this in the Terraria: Otherworld section, though, and it might get in- this idea would require extensive recoding, but the code is still being made for that game, so you might as well try.
^This.

I would love to see elemental damage in the game, as it's always bugged me that using ice attacks on Fire Imps or fire attacks on Ice Golems don't do more damage. However, it's not practical to incorporate into the game at this point.

This would be a great idea if it was like this from the beginning. But it wouldn't work well now that it has been in development fro a while. Although this may fit well into the new game or Terraria 2 if it ever comes out.

While a good suggestion, it would require recoding the game´s damage system, and would probabily end up breaking balance, however, it should be added to Otherworld, as both problems become moot when both the damage system and balance are being worked on.

I wouldn't mind a little bonus damage/debuff here and there, but I don't want anything that completely shuns someone for using the wrong weapon type.

Nothing really wrong with someone sticking to one weapon. If you want to make someone use more weapons, make mobs harder and more varied in behaviour as well as add new mechanics, and not use arbitrary mechanics to enforce a system.

Also be wary that complexity does not generally generate entertainment. When something is difficult and someone is having a hard time dealing with it, it creates frustration. Generally, simple things are comfortable to the mind and therefore leaves more room for entertainment.

would just complicate things that don't need to be complicated.
I love terraria because it's complicated and takes time to understand , just like all the games i like to play .
I support this because terraria focuses alot on combat and it will be awesome to add this mechanic to make the combat more enjoyable and will make people use more weapons to use in different situations . For an example , melee players would use spears to make more damage to heavy armored mobs/players rather than spamming only terra blades because slash damage would be better against light armored ones , mages will use frost damage weapons to do more damage to hell enemies and will use fire to deal more damage to snow biome enemies since they will take only little damage of frost damage weapons.. That would be just awesome !

There should be an option to toggle the attributes on/off, it should also include Armor Imbuement Flasks, that change your own strengths and weaknesses.

You should also have an encyclopedia of enemies you defeat and items you gain that list these attributes, so the player can be better prepared.

There should also be weapon flasks for different enemy groups:
Flask of Purify- crafted with Water Bottle, and 5 Purification Powder, doubles damage against Corrupt/Crimson enemies.
Flask of Impurity- crafted with Water Bottle, and 5 Vile/Vicious Powder, doubles damage against Hallowed enemies.

Last edited:
Congratulations , your terraria has evolved into pokémon
sorry , i don't like the idea , i mean , for example , slashers (melee players) normally get flairons from duke fishron , but that is bludodedo-whatever damage

Back
Top Bottom