tModLoader Darkest Nights Mod Thread | Suggestions & Updates

Stryke

Terrarian
Darkest Nights Mod Header (3).png

INTRODUCTION

Darkest Nights is a content mod that aims to eventually add thousands of items to vanilla
Currently there are only two people on the team (*sniff*)

Wanna stay up to date with the progress? We now have a discord!

Also...
I'm looking for help, just btw. If interested, message me here or preferably on the discord^

MOD CREDITS
@BluStryke - Project Leader, Spriter, Coder
@AndrewIDFK - Coder

THIS MOD CURRENTLY ADDS
Water Shard
Water Shard (4).png

Ice Shard
Ice Shard.png

Death Shard
Death Shard.png

Fire Shard
Fire Shard (6).png

Heavenly Shard
Heavenly Shard (1).png
Wooden Sword [16]
Wooden Axe
Wooden Staff
Wooden Lute
Poor Quality Jumprope
Giant Acorn
Wand of Sparking
Wooden Bow

Wooden Stake.png

Wooden Stake [16]
Warrior Class,
Lancer Subclass
Works like a spear, but attacks slightly faster. Pierces through one enemy.
Obtained: 8 Wood at Workbenches
Damage: 9 Piercing
Use Time: 30
Use Style: Spear
'The dull tip might make it hard to impale monsters...'

Wooden Staff of Healing Sometimes.png

Wooden Staff of Healing (Sometimes) [0]
Healer Class,
All Subclasses
Use to heal a small amount of health with a large cooldown. Has a 50% chance not to work and a 1% chance to inflict 'Poisoned' on the user.
Obtained: 1 Fallen Star, 7 Wood at Workbenches
Healing: 20
Use Time: 600
Use Style: Healing Staff
'This healing staff is unreliable at best'

Wooden Shield.png

Wooden Shield [0]
Tank Class,
All Subclasses
Hold left click to use. While using you can't move but all damage from the direction you're facing is reduced considerably
Obtained: 4 Twine, 8 Wood at Workbenches
Damage Reduction: 70%
Use Time: 20
Use Style: Shield
'Might fall apart just carrying it around'

Wooden Club.png

Wooden Club [23]
Warrior Class,
Brute Subclass
Swings slowly but does a considerable amount of damage when it hits.
Obtained: 10 Wood at Workbenches
Damage: 17 Bludgeon
Use Time: 43
Use Style: Swung
'Thunka thunk thunk'

Pokey Stick.png

Pokey Stick [18]
Rogue Class,
Assassin Subclass
Swings like a copper shortsword, but quite as useless as it does assassin damage
Obtained: 6 Wood at Workbenches
Damage: 6 Assassin
Use Style: Dagger
'This stick is as sharp as wood gets'

Wooden Slingshot.png

Wooden Slingshot [24]
Gunner Class,
All Subclasses
Shoots pebbles at enemies, other musket style bullet types work as well like silver or meteorite bullets.
Obtained: 8 Wood, 2 Twine at Workbenches
Damage: 4 Bludgeon (+ ammo damage)
Use Style: Gun
'Shoots pebbles. Kapow!'

Acorn Staff.png

Acorn Staff [36]
Summoner Class, All Subclasses
Summons mini kamikaze acorns to run at and explode on your enemies. Uses acorns as ammo. Acorns minions follow you if there are no enemies nearby.
Obtained: 9 Wood, 1 Acorn, 3 Plant Fibers at Workbenches
Damage: 12 Summoned
Use Style: Summon
'Summons acorns to do your bidding'

Wooden Pipes.png

Wooden Pipes [6]
Musician Class,
Piper Subclass
Plays damaging musical notes that have a chance to inflict debuffs. Takes inspiration to use.
Obtained: 6 Wood, 2 Twine at Workbenches
Damage: 3 Destruction
Inspiration: 18
Use Time: 30
Use Style: Musical
Possible Debuffs: Confused: 20%, Slow: 20%, Charmed: 30%
'Ensnares your foes with sweet melodies'
Stone Tipped Spear
Stone Axe
Stone Hammer
Rock
Ceramic Shield
Suspicious Looking Pebble
Stone Quarterstaff
Clay Effigy
Dirt Clod
Pebble
Stone Arrow
Wooden Boomerang
Bumpy Club
Cactus Sword
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Sword
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Spear
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Axe
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Hammer
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Club
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Flail
Cactus Shield
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Shield
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Longbow
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Shortbow
Cactus Arrow
Sh/Eb/Bo Wood Bolt Launcher

Volatile Pinecone.png

Volatile Pinecone [33]
Gunner Class,
Demolitionist Subclass
Used like a very weak grenade, explodes on contact with anything
Obtained: 3 Acorns at Workbenches | Makes 2
Damage: 16 Explosive
Use Time: 29
Use Style: Thrown
'The unstable result of crafting acorns into something that acorns should not be able to craft'

Razor Leaf.png

Razor Leaf [30]
Rogue Class,
Ninja Subclass
These can be thrown at high speeds to slice up your enemies. Acts like a throwing knife.
Obtained: 1 Wood at Workbenches | Makes 20
Damage: 7 Slashing
Use Time: 14
Use Style: Thrown
'Who knew a leaf could cut so deep?'
Research Station
Research Station (2).png

Fire Crafting Style
FireCraftingStyle (1).png
5 Equipment
0 Town NPCs
0 Enemies
0 Bosses
6 Misc
2 Game Mechanics
Total: 83

If you'd like to see our very barebones temporary wiki, we have info on a lot more stuff here

A few things to note:

- I'm going to wait until I have a decent amount of content in the mod (around 200 items minimum) before I officially publish it (unless enough people want it right away)
- Suggestions and requests for the mod are first come first serve, so if you want me to make a custom vanity set for example, it will have to wait until I finish everything else first
- I will be updating the state of the mod, along with screenshots hopefully, every week at least

I just finished outlining/designing a class system but I'm not sure if I should implement it...

It works like this:

Players will start with the option to choose a class at the beginning of the game. Once they've chosen a class, they cannot change it for that character.
Subclasses do not count as classes, meaning if a player selects a class they have access to all it's subclasses
(I may make an expensive way to change it late in the game but for now it stays as is)

Once the player chooses a class, they will notice that they now have two new UI bars,
Class Level Bar: The same across all classes, when you kill enemies or bosses or complete quests using your class's native damage types and abilities, you will gain experience
Class Skill Bar: Each class has it's own skill bar which works differently depending on the class, it allows for special abilities

Once the player levels up, they will receive a skill point, which can be used as a currency with the Wise Old Man NPC to unlock new traits, abilities, and skills

Traits
are innate to the character and do not have to be activated, essentially acts as a buff, for example, immunity to knockback or increased melee speed might be some available traits
Abilities are things that the player can use/activate to do certain things, abilities can be mapped to a hotkey of the player's choice. Examples: Flurry Strike, Enchanted Armor
Skills are things that must be unlocked before a player can do certain things, for example a player might get a skill that allows them to climb on walls, but it doesn't have to be activated

A player that uses items related to their class will both do more damage and level up more quickly, however, there is no disadvantage to using other class items, for example, a ranged class can still use swords, and a healer class can still use shields, although some special items may require you to be a particular class to use or craft

Essentially, the class system leaves vanilla mostly untouched, a player could ignore the class system entirely and have no different an experience than normal

The class system currently has 11 classes, each with at least 3 sub-classes, 36 total. The list is as follows:

- Warrior Class -
Focus: Melee Damage | Skill: Stamina

Blade: Trained with swords, rapiers, and other bladed weapons
Lancer: Prefers spear, lances, tridents, etc
Brute: Likes clubs, maces, or other heavy weapons
Monk: A true master in all forms of martial arts

- Ranger Class -
Focus: Arrow Damage | Skill: Concentration

Hunt(ress/er):
Skilled with regular bows as well as shortbows
Arbalist: Proficient with all types of crossbows
Archer: An expert with bows and longbows

- Mage Class -
Focus: Magic Damage | Skill: Mana

Wizard: Memorizes and recites powerful spells to unleash on enemies
Warlock: Uses their own health in order to cast spells more efficiently
Artifacer: Unlocks the native magic in certain items to perform special rites and attacks

- Gunner Class -
Focus: Bullet/Rocket Damage | Skill: Focus

Gunslinger:
Likes to get up close and personal with weapons like handguns and shotguns
Marksman: Uses medium to long range rifles and machine guns
Demolitionist: A fanatic of explosions and destruction

- Summoner Class -
Focus: Minion Damage | Skill: Rally

Shaman, Necromancer, Warden

- Rogue Class -
Focus: Misc Damage and Stuff | Skill: Wit

Ninja:
An expert with throwing weapons like shurikens and knives
Assassin: Utilizes stealth in combination with daggers to devastating effect
Freerunner: Uses their extreme speed and mobility to outmaneuver foes
Trapper: Uses traps to damage and confuse enemies without even showing up
Poisoner: Knowledgeable about poisons and venoms, as well as hand to hand

- Tank Class -
Knight, Turtle, Survivalist

- Healer Class -
Cleric, Bloodknight, Templar

- Berserker Class -
Barbarian, Demon, Vanguard

- Druid Class -
Sprite, Nymph, Shapeshifter

- Musician Class -
Bard:
Unleashes creation magic itself through instruments and magic
Piper, Troubadour

(More to come?)

Let me know below what you think^, I will be posting more details on each subclass soon!

I AM CURRENTLY
- Working out exactly how classes would work
- Writing down all my cool ideas
- Adding DOZENS of early game items - swords and bows get old after a while

Please please please, feel more than free to post suggestions, advice, ideas, warnings, or anything at all really that will help me out
Hopefully I can generate some excitement around my mod, and more importantly, hopefully you guys can help me come up with some cool stuff!

If you'd like to support my mod, copy this banner and add it to your signature:
Darkest Nights Mod Banner.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's Update - 9/30/19
I've added a lot more but just to show a few of the things in the mod so far:
BlankSchematics (1).png
- Blank Schematics: Can combine with certain early game items to make schematics for that item, which you can then use to upgrade that item to a better version
BlowPop (1).png
- Blow Pop: A throwable projectile that sticks to surfaces and explodes in a spray of candy shards, auto explodes on impact with enemies
ThrownPot.png
- Small Pot: A pot that you can craft with clay and pottery shards at a furnace, can be thrown on the ground and has a chance to drop a heart
SenseiVest (1).png
- Sensei's Vest: If you can recognize this you know why I added it, it does 9 def and grants reduced enemy aggression, has a 1/7 chance to drop from King Slime

Today's Update - 10/1/19
A big thanks to @J. Bame 666! I've now added these items from their suggestions:
Soul Bouncer.png
- Soul Bouncer: A boomerang craftable with demonite that bounces off walls
Tungsten Boomerang.png
- Tungsten Boomerang: A boomerang that marks a middle ground between the wood and enchanted boomerangs, craftable with tungsten
Silver Boomerang.png
- Silver Boomerang: See above ^ except craftable with silver
Frosty Flake.png
- Frosty Flake: A boomerang made with the silver, tungsten, and ice boomerangs at the tinkerer's workshop, it flies far and fast and has a chance to inflict frostburn and frozen

Today's Update - 10/5/19
I've been crazy busy and haven't been able to add anything new so I'll show some stuff I already had, all LoZ themed
Hookshot.png
- Hookshot: Works like a normal grappler, but has a really far range and pulls you super fast
Gale Boomerang.png
- Gale Boomerang: Throwing produces gusts of wind to push around or pull your enemies
Slingshot.png
- Slingshot: Shoots pebbles at enemies, upgradable to the Slingshot II
Slingshot II.png
- Slingshot II: Just like it's younger brother, the original Slingshot, but packs more of a punch

This seems really interesting! Some sprites may use some work but in general I think, that it is going to be a good mod. Good luck with further development!

This seems really interesting! Some sprites may use some work but in general I think, that it is going to be a good mod. Good luck with further development!
Thanks for the feedback, any particular sprites?

Today's Update - 10/6/19
I'm currently reworking shading on a few items, and have added a lot of new sprites for the early game items I've been working on
I added a spoiler on the OP for showing weapons, more to come for consumables and other things
I've broken weapons up into different damage types and use styles, as well as designated certain weapons for certain classes and subclasses, information will be added to OP soon
I'm looking for people to help with the mod as the ambition as far as what I want to do with this mod has gone higher and higher the more I work on it, if you're interested in being a part of Darkest Nights, whether you have spriting or coding experience or just have some cool ideas you want to help me implement, I would love the help, so send me a PM
I will be adding a discord for Darkest Nights when I have the chance

Swords! I spent a ton of time on these and there are still more to come, but for now here's the first 10 unique swords for Darkest Nights
I don't know exactly what they're all gonna do or even what they're called yet but I'll update when I decide
Feel free to comment your favorite!
Blade 1.png
Blade 2.png
Blade 3.png
Blade 4.png
Blade 5.png
Blade 6.png
Blade 7.png
Blade 8.png
Blade 9.png
Blade 10.png

Swords! I spent a ton of time on these and there are still more to come, but for now here's the first 10 unique swords for Darkest Nights
I don't know exactly what they're all gonna do or even what they're called yet but I'll update when I decide
View attachment 228115View attachment 228116View attachment 228117View attachment 228119View attachment 228118View attachment 228120View attachment 228121View attachment 228122View attachment 228124View attachment 228123
These look cool! Also, I don't think that making subclasses with their own weapon types is a good idea. Maybe you can make another mod, that will change their damage types to custom, if Darker nights is installed? That way, people who like and who dislike this idea will get what they want. Also, a big amount of classes, you want to add were already added by other mods (Bard class, Druid class, healer class (your healer is much different though)), so maybe you should remove some of yiur ideas or remake them.

These look cool! Also, I don't think that making subclasses with their own weapon types is a good idea. Maybe you can make another mod, that will change their damage types to custom, if Darker nights is installed? That way, people who like and who dislike this idea will get what they want. Also, a big amount of classes, you want to add were already added by other mods (Bard class, Druid class, healer class (your healer is much different though)), so maybe you should remove some of your ideas or remake them.
The class system allows for any class to use other weapons, the major difference would be each class gets their own ability bar, I have yet to update the OP with all the details, but essentially you choose a class at the beginning of the game and level it up over time, the higher your level, the more skill points you'll get which you can spend on active or passive abilities such as special abilities or immunities

By default, the class you start with gives you a large bonus for using any items that are related to that class, but there is no penalty for using other class's items
For example, if you select warrior class at the beginning, you'll get a permanent 20% damage increase with swords

/Edit: I do like your suggestion of making a separate mod for the class system from the rest of the mod, I might code them together but then separate them before I publish and make sure they're compatible

Blade 1.png
Blade 2.png
Blade 3.png
Blade 4.png
Blade 5.png
Blade 6.png
Blade 7.png
Blade 8.png
Blade 9.png
Blade 10.png
I like the designs of these swords! The last one and the 5th one are my favorites of that list. And over all, the mod looks awesome : 3. Maybe you can name one of them Blitzchaser or something ^^.

View attachment 228115View attachment 228116View attachment 228117View attachment 228119View attachment 228118View attachment 228120View attachment 228121View attachment 228122View attachment 228124View attachment 228123
How about calling third sword "Coconut Claymore"? Because its hilt reminds me of palm tree. (And I like names, where both words starts with same letter) And eighth sword can be called "Electrosparker" because its edge reminds me of two plasma spikes and between them there are some electricity lightnings. And last one can be called "Void's edge" because it its palette is very dark and shading on it isn't easily noticed.

Bloodlust Prince Ani (3).gif

Anyone wanna help me come up with a unique sword for this guy?
(He's not done yet)
I plan to hopefully make him into a boss or miniboss

/Edit:
Also maybe one for this one as well...
Fallen Champion (7).gif

Back
Top Bottom