Blocks & Decoration Daylight detector

Anhrak

Terrarian
Hey everyone,

This suggestion used to be on the old forums but somehow I can't find it anymore, but since it was actually quite demanded, I will suggest a new concept here :).

So the Daylight Detector is an automatic switch that turns on when it is Day, and turns off when it is Night [or, by right-clicking it, you can revert its behavior by emitting a signal if it's Night and emit no signal when it's Day].

It can be crafted with 2 iron/lead bars, a piece of glass and 5 wires.

Last edited:
I can see the Minecraft reference there, but I don't really think we need it other than traps.

SUPPORT LEVEL: 25/100

This suggestion used to be on the old forums but somehow I can't find it anymore
you can go to your TO profile and click "recent posts" and then scroll down and click "see all threads" (or something like that)
But I can do that for you if you want. What was your TO account?

I can see the Minecraft reference there, but I don't really think we need it other than traps.
Yeah, minecraft certainly didn't come up with the concept of a daylight detector, so even if the suggestion had come afterwards, you really can't call it a reference if it has a completely different recipe/appearance.

As far as the suggestion goes, I definitely support. Extremely simple and still quite useful.

Eh, its ok, but this is literally directly out of Minecraft. Name and everything. Something like this would be cool though. 6/10.

It's a good idea, but swap the diamond with wire. I don't see a reason for a diamond to be there.

Sounds cool, would definitely make night time cooler :)

As for all that “Minecraft has it already” stuff, ugh just because minecraft has something, doesn’t mean it belongs to Minecraft. Minecraft has dirt blocks, should Terraria remove it’s dirt blocks?
Light detectors aren’t exactly a new concept. Several sandbox games have them (if they have any kind of wiring) and I think it would be completely fine to add. Heck, even the IOS game Sandbox has them, along with gas, water, and temperature detectors.

Eh, its ok, but this is literally directly out of Minecraft. Name and everything. Something like this would be cool though. 6/10.
Dirt is directly out of minecraft, name and everything.

So is stone.

And iron pickaxes.

And trees.

And like all of those things, they all have a real life counterpart that works slightly differently but pretty much the same.

Did minecraft come up with daylight detectors? Well, there's phototubes that works slightly differently, but pretty much the same. And this suggestion was made (on the old forums) before daylight detectors came to minecraft.

"Directly out of minecraft" is technically correct, but it could be applied to many, many things in terraria. If you don't like the suggestion, that's fine- but don't let the fact that minecraft has the same thing fool you into thinking it's a bad suggestion. Daylight detectors are a way to make wire devices activate when certain conditions are met. Currently, there's no way to make said devices activate when it switches from day to night- daylight detectors are a logical fix to this problem. If you want to call it a minecraft reference, you should have done that when wire was added.

-edit-
Ninja'd.

Having my house automatically shielded at night by actuated blocks? Sign me up!
Edit: And what Snickerbobble said. I'd definitely wire all my buildings' lights to these blocks. No more wasted energy! :cool:

I have a better idea concerning the Automatic nature of the tool.

The way you have it currently, means it would shut off at 4:30 AM, and turn on at 7:30 PM. If this were the case, then it would be very dark right before they turned on, and very dark right after they turned off.

Maybe give them an ingame Hour before nightfall (6:30 PM) to turn on, and make them turn off an hour after sunrise (5:30 AM). That way, you won't have a random blotch of darkness in between those times, acting more in sync with the day time.

Last edited:
i can totally see this being super useful. personally, i'd love these for building "cities" and using street lamps to automate the lighting. you've got my support :D

Wouldn't it be impractical for everything to be in total darkness and THEN everything lights up? Take an IRL field stadium light for example. They don't activate at 9:00 PM on the dot, because nobody would be able to see anything from about 7:00 PM to then. They turn on at around dusk so the light level stays relatively the same. That's merely what I'm saying there.

Also, hostile mobs spawnrate isn't affected by light.... If that's what you're getting at.

Back
Top Bottom