Items Deadly Sphere and Tempest Staff need more love

Sprite

Terrarian
Unfortunately, while the last round of buffs on the Tempest Staff were nice... They weren't good enough. Neither of these two summon weapons are very good, and there's three reasons for this;
1. Leash Range
2. Speed
3. A.I.

When you compare these weapons to the Blade Staff, the Sanguine Staff, and the UFO Staff, they are completely outclassed, in spite of them being "higher tier" than them.

1. Leash Range
This refers to how far the minions can go before the game calls them back to you. If you're engaging in a boss fight, you'll notice the leash range problem a lot. By keeping yourself away from the boss while using these weapons, you'll see that they struggle to get near their target(s) and will instead be stuck trying to stay with you. Sanguine Staff is unique in this aspect in that when they lock on to a target, they will move in an elliptical pattern, always ending back with you. UFOs and Enchanted Daggers will stay with the target until you're a good distance away. The Deadly Spheres are too slow to keep up, thus struggle to even do damage, and the Sharknadoes' leash range is MUCH too short for them to be able to feasibly be used.

2. Speed
Speed for minions is very important in most circumstances. The faster they can move, the more efficiently they can actually dispatch of targets and deal damage -- ESPECIALLY if they are Melee minions. Deadly Spheres are ungodly slow and need drastic love in this department. In a high speed fight like Duke Fishron, they fail to do anything to the boss just because of how agile it is.

3. A.I.
We have some REALLY good minion A.I. in the game. They understand how to lock onto enemies and dispatch of them with the parameters of what their attack type is (melee/ranged/mixed) and their leash range. However, the A.I. on the Sharknados (and potentially some other minions in the game) are not good at all. They need an A.I. similar to Retamini or UFOs to function well enough, otherwise they will just derp about during boss battles. Their lock on A.I. and leash range are just... Really, really bad.

The Deadly Sphere Staff is excellent for its time, it doesn't need anything. The Tempest Staff needs better accuracy and fire rate.

Compared to any other minion of its tier, it is vastly outperformed. Even the Blade, Sanguine, and Spider Staves are better, which are available a few tiers earlier.
Uh, no. I did a lot of testing in my first 1.4 playthrough and the DDS out-dps'd both of those, with the Blade staff performing better only situationally

Back
Top Bottom