Decent Screen Capture program?

My 10 year old son would like to try recording his Terraria game play to upload to YouTube. There seem to be three main video capture programs out there that I've run across: Fraps, Bandicam, and LiteCam Game. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be perfect output, but ease of use would be important ;-). We have a Dell Latitude laptop with a i7 3740 QM @ 2.7 GHz, NVIDIA 1 GB GPU (nothing fancy), and 8GB RAM, running Windows 7 64. I assume there are no decent free programs out there, though he is willing to buy one that works well and isn't too difficult to use (these all have a free trial version, no?) .
Thanks!

Hello. I recommend using Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). It's open source program mainly for streamers but offers function to record a video to file. I made a lets play season with my friend with OBS.
EDIT: Fraps is good but don't have many options and it is resource hungry. Its output files can be huge (few gigabytes).

i recommend fraps. While its output file are huge in size, you can use video editing software to convert .avi file to mp4 to reduce the file size

OBS sounds like a good place to start....just to make sure, OBS will allow him to record his game screen while he is playing and add audio comments as he records?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We went with OBS, and so far, so good! My son has been able to figure it out and get a few videos made, a couple of which he uploaded to YouTube - he's a very happy kid :). We may have questions on tweaks here and there, but will ask when we know.

Back
Top Bottom