PC Dedicated server stops accepting new connections

Aevix

Terrarian
So I recently began hosting a server for myself and a friend to play, using the dedicated TerrariaServer.exe so that he'd be able to join regardless of if I was in-game or not.

Everything worked as expected, until I left for work, I returned several hours later, and tried to connect, only for my game to get stuck on the connection screen while connecting to localhost, my friend was on the server at the time, and had been since before I left, and was able to play just fine, but I was unable to connect myself despite being the host machine. As an experiment I asked him to disconnect as well and try to reconnect, only for him to be met with the same issue when trying to re-join.

Now that we were both unable to connect, I tried restarting the server, and immediately we were both able to connect, enter the password, and join the world, as though there had never been a problem, but on subsequent times of disconnecting, the same problem has happened again, only to be solved by restarting the server; this would be fine, but doesn't seem like intended behavior, and is rather inconvenient at times that he would like to play and I am asleep or at work or otherwise unable to restart it, so if anyone knows how I can fix this I would greatly appreciate it.

There are several possible causes of this ranging from your home network to the power settings on your computer. Usually, in this case, it is just the Terraria server needs regular reboots to prevent this from happening. If you don't want to reboot it regularly you can use an alternative server software such as Tshock (Pryaxis/TShock) or use a dedicated hosting provider (aleforge plug here?). Using Tshock for your Terraria server software will give you the ability to use the Tshock plugins as well to add extra functionality. Plugins | TShock for Terraria

Back
Top Bottom