Game Mechanics Degradation of "Terraria" combat: Homing weapons

1) Nerfing current homing weapons.

The most obvious and easiest way to balance out the homing weapons. It`s not necessarily needed to nerf damage or fire rate of the weapon to make it more balanced. Let`s take Typhoon for instance. Just triple the mana usage and BAM - it is not that attractive anymore, even though it`s still incredebly strong. Snowman Cannon - just make rockets more dangerous. If rockets would damage the player, the incredible versatility of cannon will be gone, but it still will be. That`s just a few examples.
Agreed.
2) Adding more one-sided weapons.

Current examples: Bubble Gun, Heat Ray, Rocket Launcher, Cursed Flames, Magical Harp, Shadowbeam Staff.

What i mean under "one-sided" weapons? Weapons, that aren´t good overall, but incredebly good for certain tasks/situations. Some of you may say - "This will just bring more useless weapons into the game, that noone will use". I will say - "It will force the players to extend their arsenal and choose certain weapons for different situations.".
I think we have enough, but I get your point.
3) Adding more weapons demanding skill/practice.

Current examples: Rainbow Rod (Magic Missle, Flame Lash), Sniper Riffle (with high velocity bullets).

This is kind of weapon, that feels "rough" at the beginning, but after some practice it`s very fun to use it. On my opinion, this is the key for a perfect weapon - practice. Practice should be rewarded. The more time player practice a certain weapon, the better his skills and damage output gets. It's always great for the more serious players, if they can get an extra edge out of being good, beyond grind. How i imagine/see weapons like this? One of the examples - weapons like Rainbow Rod, when efficiency depends on precise cursor movements: "Cutting" enemies with fast cursor twitching (Fruit Ninja), locking cursor on enemy to accumulate damage, drawing a beam, that does piercing damage to enemies (like beam from Rainbow Gun) etc. Or just a buffed version of Sniper Rifle, that uses an expensive ammunition and requires a long time to charge, but shoots a straight powerfull beam, that does incredible damage.

I don't think this is very necessary. It isn't archery here, it's a game. Some homing weapons should be nerfed, but with any other weapon, you need dodging skills to attack, but not take damage.

i'd prefer we leave them as they are now. if you don't like them, dont use them. personally, i don't use homing weapons all that often, but on occasion they are useful. i tend to enjoy "bouncing" weapons more, see "waterbolt" for an example of what i mean. definitely more ideal in my opinion. but "homing weapons" do not need to be nerfed, nor should they be.

but thank you for expressing your opinion like a civilized member of our community :)

I think this is very interesting, and I often do avoid using homing weapons when I am playing for practice or against bosses. I consider some pretty balanced - for example, the Scourge of the Corruptor.

it makes sense but most of the weapons you used were end game as others mentioned. besides im sure some non-homing hardmode weapons are stronger than the ones you mentioned

I agree with you on some topics; I hate the Razorblade Typhoon and Flairon in particular, since they encourage lazy playstyle. The others, I'm pretty happy with.

as I really enjoy ranged gameplay I'm gonna defend bullets and snowman cannon, because ranged gameplay is way harder than melee and magic, basically because melee and magic there's life steal, melee has highest defense and melee "ranged" weapons (like flairon, terrablade, vampire knives, etc), magic has spectre set bonus and with it you can throw a rainbow, nimbus, and spam some magnet sphere, and that's it full hp... rangers don't have those advantages so RANGED homming weapons and ammo (like snowman cannon and chlorophyte Bullets) are not the most OP thing in terraria, IMO.

this is just silly. I know what you mean but, you know, Terraria is a sandbox game. Not the everyday action or platformer. We build arenas to lock down a boss. We build grinders to kill enemies in AFK. We do that everyday. I can't consider we have had such a thing like skill since the first time.

Also, look at what we had in end game. Auto-swing 'ranged' sword, auto-swing ranged melee also travels through blocks, hammer sized boomerang, super accurate shotbow, machine guns which doesn't consume ammo, and magic machine guns. In my opinion, all are lazy like hell.

Hunting for flaws in someones logic is not the best type of argumenting.

Wrong. Though it may annoy the other person, its a very good way to argue as it often times ends it quickly.

This is technically a spelling mistake, PS means post scriptum, after writing, but this was written in the beginning of the text...
And that is the only spelling mistake, ignoring the film....

Technically the spelling error is "apologise" where it should be apologize. "P.s" is jot a spelling error its a grammatical error.

"Apologise" isn't incorrect English, it's simply a variant from outside North America.

Wait, this has absolutely nothing to do with the actual thread.

I stand corrected. There is no spelling error, just a grammatical one.

OT: I pretty much agree with the majority. No change is needed. And with that I bid farewell until I am summoned again

Wrong. Though it may annoy the other person, its a very good way to argue as it often times ends it quickly.

Technically the spelling error is "apologise" where it should be apologize. "P.s" is jot a spelling error its a grammatical error.
I bow to your superior gramarnazity.

I think all homing weapons need is reduced homing range. I should be able to hit something with chloro bullets if I'm a bit off, but if I'm not even close, it shouldn't hit it anyway.

Also, on the topic of "you fought the boss so you deserve OP gear," I completely disagree. A difficult fight means you should be rewarded, yes, but not in a way that breaks the game.

EDIT-
Haven´t you considered the fact that most of these weapons are weaker than their non-homing counterparts, except for the Snowman Cannon and the Flairon? And the latter two are ridiculously difficult to obtain.
The Possessed Hatchet, for example, is weaker than the Paladin´s Hammer.

kTL9EZr.png
uy36gqb.png

Yeah, the Paladin's Hammer is SOOOO much stronger than the Hatchet. Just look at all that extra knockback and a whole TWO velocity!

Last edited:
I truthfully don't think it's necessary, you don't get many of the weapons until end game, and without them enemies like duke fishron and the ice queen almost impossible. I feel like they are powerful, but every game has OP weapons.

rangers don't have those advantages

They get access to the top DPS weapons throughout the game (Minishark, Phoenix Blaster, Megashark, Crystal Bullets) which also have a very conveniently high velocity and predictable pattern which makes them incredibly easy to hit targets with. Rangers are not in that dark of a spot, especially since there is nothing restricting them from using Vampire Knives other than the players themselves.

Yeah, the Paladin's Hammer is SOOOO much stronger than the Hatchet. Just look at all that extra knockback and a whole TWO velocity!

Shows you've never actually used the Paladin's Hammer. You can swing the hammer at least five times quicker than the Hatchet, as the hatchet has to spend time swinging to a target at a mediocre velocity and using the same velocity to return before being used again.

Paladin's Hammer is an incredible weapon; simple but deadly and versatile.

Current examples: Bubble Gun, Heat Ray, Rocket Launcher, Cursed Flames, Magical Harp, Shadowbeam Staff.
I was surprised magnet sphere wasn't under this category. It really isn't that useful, as it can nly go one direction and has a slow firing spped. The horseman's blade is like the spectre mask projectiles: An extra effect for making a hit.

Rangers are not in that dark of a spot, especially since there is nothing restricting them from using Vampire Knives other than the players themselves.
vampire knives was meant for melee though...not for rangers, rangers were left aside in lifesteal and survability, but imo it's ok, for some other rangers it's not

vampire knives was meant for melee though...not for rangers, rangers were left aside in lifesteal and survability, but imo it's ok, for some other rangers it's not
Melee characters need to get a higher use of the knives because they are more frequently hit than the other classes. Rangers can still use the vampire knives, just not as well.

Back
Top Bottom