Game Mechanics Demon Heart Slot On Non-Expert-Mode Worlds

Should the Demon Heart slot be enabled in normal-mode worlds?

• Yes; if the player worked for it, then they should be able to use it to its full potential.

• No; keep the cheaters out and make everyone pay for it!

• Meh.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MantisWithLaserBeam

Skeletron Prime
When playing in normal-mode worlds, the extra accessory slot provided by the Demon Heart is disabled. I understand that this was likely intended to punish players who cheat it in, but it's really inconvenient to those who worked for it and carry things over between multiple (both expert and normal) worlds.
It would be nice if that slot were enabled on normal-mode worlds so players could use it for utility accessories, vanity items, etc.

Last edited:
I have characters that I play normally with and some characters that have it all for sandbox building and I am in favour in the current setup.

My builder character (cheated) only needs high defence and an ankh shield to ward off enemies in a normal world but that isn't always enough in expert worlds so I use a star veil or spore sac in the 6th slot for extra protection when I need it, also the stars / spores help remind me that I am more vulnerable here.

My regular character similarly uses extra combat item (lately been fire gauntlet) that is only really needed for expert enemies...

So both cheated and non cheated characters only use the 6th slot in Expert because it is only needed in expert, I see no reason to change this.

Honestly? I don't think that the extra slot is even as powerful as the other Expert items, all of which are usable in normal worlds. Flat 17% damage reduction? Significantly more useful than most defensive accessories. Cthullhu dash? Grants temporary invincibility and deals damage - as good or better than Master Ninja Gear, and available prehard. Don't even get me started on the value of some of the Hardmode stuff...

One more accessory slot? That's a convenience, and a pretty minor one at that, in my opinion. You get to put on just one more thing that might help a little bit...but you still have to have earned the item you put there. Could someone farm them and give them to a prehard character? Sure, but that goes for anything. I could give my prehard character full Hallowed armour and Vampire Knives if I wanted. Do we make Hardmode equipment not work out of Hardmode? How about the Orb and Heart items, do we need to make them not work for people who haven't broken the Orb/Heart to get them? Not at all on worlds that have the wrong biome? Anyway, my point is that there's a lot of things you could apply the same logic to, some with much more ability to break the game. So what makes the Demon Heart so special?

it would be a "take a repeater and some good arrows to gather one more slot" mechanic.
You said this like it's something bad. Cmon, I play Expert just because of its exclusive boss loot and then flee to Normal. Call me "untermensch", i'll be ok with that.

We're here for fun. It's very adorable of devs, that they keep releasing new versions of game with new stuff. But why keeping this new stuff (quite selective though) from comfort gameplay in sissy-normal worlds? As Kefke said, there are more cheaty(?) items from hardmode which work in new prehardmode worlds just fine.

So why don't separate expert and normal chars at all? Or "one char = one world" would be the best solution?

You don't even need to cheat it in. A player who's up to Plantera in a normal world will easily be able to defeat Expert bosses up to and including WoF.

I'm OK with the extra slot being enabled in Normal modes, but only if it doesn't give any effects. I.e. items can be put there, but you don't get any bonuses from modifiers or benefits from the item.

You don't even need to cheat it in. A player who's up to Plantera in a normal world will easily be able to defeat Expert bosses up to and including WoF.

I'm OK with the extra slot being enabled in Normal modes, but only if it doesn't give any effects. I.e. items can be put there, but you don't get any bonuses from modifiers or benefits from the item.

Why? I mean, look up how defence is applied and tell me that the Worm Scarf isn't more valuable on its own. Tell me that unlimited hunter and spelunker buffs aren't more valuable.

Why? I mean, look up how defence is applied and tell me that the Worm Scarf isn't more valuable on its own. Tell me that unlimited hunter and spelunker buffs aren't more valuable.
More space to store things. Also, it's frustrating when you accidentally remove something from the sixth slot n Normal and can't put it back. Or you remove it and forget to put something else there when you return to Expert.

More space to store things. Also, it's frustrating when you accidentally remove something from the sixth slot n Normal and can't put it back. Or you remove it and forget to put something else there when you return to Expert.
My point was that the extra accessory is the second weakest of the Expert rewards (the Minecart is weaker), so why shouldn't you get the full benefit of it?

I'm all for it, for just one reason.

As a summoner, I try to get the most minion boosts out of my accessories as possible. But for every hardmode character, it is impossible to play without lightning/frostspark boots and wings. This leaves me with just three accessories that I actually want. So I can only use the Pygmy Necklace, Papyrus Scarab, and Necromantic Scroll, without room for me to use a Hercules Beetle for extra damage. If the Demon Heart could be used in Normal Mode than I, as well as a lot of others, would be able to use more Accessories that we want, rather than having to waste slots on things like wings.

Back
Top Bottom