Items Depth Meter and Compass acquisition

What are you thinking? Please select all that apply.

• Yes! These changes makes perfect sense. Full support!

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • The Depth Meter should definitely be more common than it is.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I agree with having the Depth Meter be dropped by Skeletons and not Cave Bats.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yeah, the Compass needs to be taken out of the Mimic's drop table.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Sure. Let Goblin Scouts drop the Compass. Why not.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I see the problem, but I would have solved it a different way.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't see anything wrong with letting them be crafted with Bars.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No. This should be left the way they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
Let's cut to the chase. Since the Minimap practically replaces these items already, why are they so hard to get?

Depth_Meter.png

Depth Meter
This is currently a 1/200 drop from Cave Bats. Why the grind? Why Cave Bats? It's a practically useless item, anyways. The solution I came up with was to make it a more frequent drop from Skeletons. The Depth Meter could have a 1/40 chance to drop from any Skeleton enemy, including Undead Miners, which would reduce grinding time and make a lot more sense than having them drop from Cave Bats.

Compass.png

Compass
This is currently part of the Mimic's drop table, which means it's not only rare, but it's also Hardmode, but like the Depth Meter, it's usefulness is limited due to the existence of the Minimap. Instead of being a rare Hardmode drop, it should be an uncommon pre-Hardmode drop instead. I thought that making them a 1/7 drop from Goblin Scouts would be fair and make logical sense, while also adding another reason to hunt for Goblin Scouts. This would also make the more worthwhile Mimic drops pop up more frequently, and reduce Mimic grinding.

Now, the reason I didn't go with crafting recipes is simple. I want to stick with the developer's decision of changing the Depth Meter to an enemy drop, and also to make it so the three ingredients in the GPS weren't all obtained by crafting with bars. Hopefully, this is a fair compromise that will satisfy everyone. (Nothing ever satisfies everyone, though. :l )

Feedback is appreciated! Please respond to the poll and leave a comment.

Last edited:
Goblin scouts are a bit rare, maybe the compass can also be a rare drop from the goblin army? Or it could be sold by an NPC?
They're not really that rare if you're not at world center. Anyways, I'll change it to be a 1/7 drop instead of 1/10, which seems appropriate, since it takes about 6 or 7 Goblin Scout kills to craft a Goblin Battle Standard.

I think it can be a 1/5 drop from just Undead Miners.
That's what I thought initially, but I second guessed because I don't know if that would actually reduce grinding or not. If Cave Bats are less than 40x as common as Undead Miners, it would be good, but I can't be sure, because Undead Miners are rather uncommon and Cave Bats are very common.

Anyways, I think that you would almost always kill 25 Skeletons before you got a Statue. I think the problem would be that 1/25 is just too frequent of a drop. How about 1/40?

Ugh.. I hate it when I get a compass from a mimic. Totally want this.
You get another one of these
hammer_of_approval_by_milt69466-d815i4s.gif

Depth meter: I like it and I agree, it doesn't make sense for this thing to be so rare.
Compass: Maybe also have it drop during a goblin invasion? Their current loot table is garbage anyway. ^_^' And these goblins have an even bigger reason to carry a compass, seeing how they travel from far away.

Compass: Maybe also have it drop during a goblin invasion? Their current loot table is garbage anyway. ^_^' And these goblins have an even bigger reason to carry a compass, seeing how they travel from far away.
The Spiky Balls are actually really useful if you actually use them. And the Harpoon is pretty darn good, too.

Also, the army itself doesn't need Compasses to navigate. That's what they have Scouts for. :p

Last edited:
I agree. this would mean getting the gps would be a heck of a lot easier.
[INSERT JACKHAMMER OF SUPPORT HERE]

Back
Top Bottom