Derpbird Dai's Lazy Builds

Daimera

Terrarian
I wasn't sure I was ever going to make a thread for builds because I don't feel I'm very good at them, but if I'm gonna make any effort, I might as well start somewhere. It is something I want to get better at, and I'm trying to study other good builders towards those ends, but the going is pretty slow. This is mainly starting because I made this one thing that I'm kinda happy with and I didn't know where to put it without butting into some other thread (like the "I must screenshot this" thread).

105600_2015-01-12_00004.png

When I originally made this floating blob with an eye, it was meant to be evocative of some kind of Bydo, from R-Type. This time I’ve actually tried to make a Nozari. I’m rarely happy with builds, but I rather like this, though I added some engines that a Nozari wouldn’t have, because it looked a bit nicer. It’s also a bit small, but I didn’t feel like farming up materials and this was pretty much as much flesh block that I had on hand on this map.

Here's my current tAPI base, using Eikester's decorations mod. Don't mind the really ugly patching together, especially the spots where I tried to remove my character; I EAGERLY await Screen Capture Mode for things like this.
290pCVz.png

Sort of a mishmash of my usual lazy block builds purely for "lol get the NPCs in with minimal effort" progression, but also a few slightly more 'dynamic' experiments. I've just been slowly tapping away at this world due to tAPI requiring a fresh start, which I didn't want to do initially, but it's been something to do while waiting for 1.3. :>

I'm too lazy to paint things.

For now, I'll put some old stuff up as filler, to kind of give an idea of what I'm normally used to doing.
9452485C544136678DB867AA9C63617CC1ED37F2

Have a map because I could NOT be arsed to actually composite all of these together save a few that were added later; a lot of the 1.2 brick texture changes ruined a lot of my old builds. :\ Not that they were much to look at, though a lot of my older stuff was made by hand... then I discovered TEdit.
Rl7OZt5.jpg

Feeear the old textures...
oza0Mk6.jpg

FEAR THEM. I'm too lazy to re-composite these with the new ones.
UzLfpAK.jpg
9jRTfme.jpg
index.php

Map view, because I don't feel like recompositing the changes... Also, TEdit WAS used SLIGHTLY in the Furniture Showcase area, but only to measure out how much space I had so I was sure I'd have enough room before starting.
aKPeDJa.jpg

This thread probably won't get updated a whole lot with new material, as a fair warning. :dryadtongue:

Last edited:
Hey, it's a cool concept you got there, and I think you nailed all the small details, such as the background walls (like the Bone Wall or Tin, which is a great addition), and the "fins."

If you want more references to make better builds in the future, going back and looking at smaller builds in the Creation Compendium, even going as far back as the TO days is a good idea.

Keep that effort up! You'll get even better in no time ;)

Im dumb for asking this but... Who me or daimera?
(If is me i will delete this post just because im asking)

I can direct it to both of you with the content in my statement :)

I enjoy your underwater design with those lead fences, they're very well structured with those columns.

I can direct it to both of you with the content in my statement :)

I enjoy your underwater design with those lead fences, they're very well structured and rounded as well.
At my side thanks and as i said is the "little brother" you must better see his "big" brother... But i don't have a screenshot sorry (and worst i don't have my pc so i cant take the screeshot :( ) :p

Hey, it's a cool concept you got there, and I think you nailed all the small details, such as the background walls (like the Bone Wall or Tin, which is a great addition), and the "fins."

If you want more references to make better builds in the future, going back and looking at smaller builds in the Creation Compendium, even going as far back as the TO days is a good idea.

Keep that effort up! You'll get even better in no time ;)
Yeah, I do collect build screenshots, especially from CCs! I have a folder with, like, 200+ screenshots of various builds that I really like. I just can't figure out how to apply that knowledge to unique-feeling builds without an overreliance on copying layouts and such.

I think my major problem is I just don't have the base concepts for buildings the same way I can conceptualize for drawing and painting. It's just a completely different way of creative thinking than I'm used to!

Last edited:
Here's my current tAPI base, using Eikester's decorations mod. Don't mind the really ugly patching together, especially the spots where I tried to remove my character; I EAGERLY await Screen Capture Mode for things like this. I should probably patch in the mild revisions to the first building but meeeehh.
290pCVz.png

Sort of a mishmash of my usual lazy block builds purely for "lol get the NPCs in with minimal effort" progression, but also a few slightly more 'dynamic' experiments. I've just been slowly tapping away at this world due to tAPI requiring a fresh start, which I didn't want to do initially, but it's been something to do while waiting for 1.3. :>

I'm too lazy to paint things.

Might as well stick on a separate shot of the steampunk boat. It's basically just a rethemed rehash of the Nozari, but it's the first of MANY attempts to make some kind of boat that I actually like.
11742490464752762880_2015-01-29_00007.png

Last edited:
I wanted to make a Lihzahrd Temple house, and ended up getting hella carried away. It's still not a particularly dynamic build in terms of material variation, but it's a little bigger than my usual stuff. The downside? It's not registering as a habitable house; can't even set my spawn point at the bed. Not sure if it's because it's too big, or if it's something to do with tAPI. I notice that it's not even registering as Jungle, which Lihzahrd brick usually does.

ItXqf4Z.jpg

I still really like it, though. It's also made manually in-game, a rare instance of it, and thus one of the rare instances of not being a COMPLETELY lazy build.

Last edited:
These are all nice, especially the lihzahrd house. As for it not registering as housing, I had the same problem with a weird sunplate city I recently built, and tried a lot of things to fix it. In the end, the problem seemed to be using gemspark wall as windows. It worked in some buildings, but only the bigger ones with small windows. I could be wrong of course, but maybe limiting the gemspark wall in the interior, or isolating a small area inside to act as your housing, would make it work. Hope that helps :)

Awful phone tethering for a bit to take care of my various thingses. Internet is out 'till Monday.

These are all nice, especially the lihzahrd house. As for it not registering as housing, I had the same problem with a weird sunplate city I recently built, and tried a lot of things to fix it. In the end, the problem seemed to be using gemspark wall as windows. It worked in some buildings, but only the bigger ones with small windows. I could be wrong of course, but maybe limiting the gemspark wall in the interior, or isolating a small area inside to act as your housing, would make it work. Hope that helps :)
I really like that Lihzahrd house! But is that internal space all one room? There's a maximum size limit for beds to work, too.
Yeah, I figured this out after the fact. Since then I've partitioned it up a bit.
9706592068BD11B114475EC11107F42D654D45A5

Kinda wish there were other platforms that worked with Lihzahrd brick, though.

Also made this little thing in the Jungle for shop inventory reasons. Nothing particularly fancy. Just a little ramshackle hut to make up for the fact that it seems Lihzahrd brick doesn't register as Jungle in tAPI.
6F997023A03A36BBED5E190E956F11C3F9AF2BEB

Oh, you used vertical lines of platforms to act as walls? That's awesome, I guess I never thought of trying that because the platforms don't look like they're made to build vertically. It looks good in your lihzahrd base though, probably because of the fitting choice of platforms.

... and now I kind of want to build something with lihzahrd bricks haha.

Your builds are great, especially that Lihzard brick hut in the jungle.

EDIT: You should definitely keep posting your builds, since, again, they look great!

tnlQlal.png

....Not exactly stellar housing, but this is our multiplayer Expert Mode base as of game completion, hahahaha.

Tried to make sure every building was either supported, or had some kind of mechanism for floating. Glowing Mushrooms are their own mechanism. The bee house is supported by the power of the gold bunny, hahahaha. The Strange Plant planters... I'll have to have a discussion with J about those. :I

A BUNCH of ‘builds’ I finally got around to grabbing with Capture Mode. Most of these were modified in TEdit at one point, especially to put them all in one world to collect them.

85MDBTZ.png
Mostly-done by hand back before 1.1 came around, I only added a few wall variations and threw in the small temple room with TEdit later.

ZodMnBY.png
A 1.1 base done by hand, though I moved it semi-underground on the builds map and then added the Halloween house from the 1.2 Multiplayer map since there was room for it.

ulwi8TF.png
Qu3QQGe.png
Auraion’s Library and a misc underwater temple thing, done in TEdit. I already have these posted in the main post, but those have the old textures.

civ5oAg.jpg
An old collection of by-hand builds from just-pre-1.1, that I tweaked/added to in TEdit later.

Vt5QlQZ.jpg
The entire 1.2 Multiplayer base.

88HtV3O.png
A hand-built church from 1.1.1, right when snow was first introduced. Added pearlwood furniture and new torches later.

a9hC7ZP.png
A ‘hidden’ underground church made in TEdit for a weird ‘it’s a trap’ map where I occasionally harried some friends playing a from-scratch game as an endgame character with PvP turned on, lol. This was my base.

d1RLeIV.jpg
A TEdit thing from that same map where I basically hid a “city of gold”-style biome on the trap map. I’d hid a lot of strange things on that map in TEdit in hopes that my friends would find them, but they never did haha.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom