Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
The bestiary entry for the Derpling doesn't precise that this enemy only spawns during daytime in the jungle.

Note: I will post more threads about bestiary filters and actual in-game spawning conditions.

Update: by comparison, the Jungle slime has Daytime filter, but the derpling not.
20200912203659_1.jpg
10C652E0-2B9C-4643-9EBA-BBCF7CA41EBC.jpeg

Last edited:
Daytime and night are a bit fluid in the bestiary. Generally speaking, if it doesn't have the night filter, it spawns during the day. The daytime filter alone is used to indicate enemies that spawn in the Forest or in any biome (and so might not have any filters at all). I have in the past raised the question of ensuring day and night filters were applied to all enemies but it was decided not to do so.

Part of the reasoning with adding too many filter entries is that the filters operate on OR logic rather than the (possibly) expected AND logic. To use your example of Daytime + Jungle: Current functionality (OR): Shows all enemies that spawn in the day or in the jungle. What might be expected (AND): Shows all enemies that spawn in the day and in the Jungle.
The current functionality means a player wanting to see all daytime Jungle enemies (selecting Day + Jungle filters) would also have to contend with scrolling through critters and slimes that spawn in the day (including those that do not spawn in the Jungle).

I don't mean to discourage you - things could change and the day/night filters may be added to all enemies. Equally, they might not. Please do report any bestiary oddities you see - I'll keep an eye on this thread. :)

Daytime and night are a bit fluid in the bestiary. Generally speaking, if it doesn't have the night filter, it spawns during the day. The daytime filter alone is used to indicate enemies that spawn in the Forest or in any biome (and so might not have any filters at all). I have in the past raised the question of ensuring day and night filters were applied to all enemies but it was decided not to do so.

Part of the reasoning with adding too many filter entries is that the filters operate on OR logic rather than the (possibly) expected AND logic. To use your example of Daytime + Jungle: Current functionality (OR): Shows all enemies that spawn in the day or in the jungle. What might be expected (AND): Shows all enemies that spawn in the day and in the Jungle.
The current functionality means a player wanting to see all daytime Jungle enemies (selecting Day + Jungle filters) would also have to contend with scrolling through critters and slimes that spawn in the day (including those that do not spawn in the Jungle).

I don't mean to discourage you - things could change and the day/night filters may be added to all enemies. Equally, they might not. Please do report any bestiary oddities you see - I'll keep an eye on this thread. :)

I recently added an image of the Jungle slime for comparison.

The bestiary entry for the Derpling still has no Daytime tag, even though it only spawns during the day, like the Jungle Slime, whivh does have the Daytime tag.
20201013190411_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom