Desert farm issues (biome question)

Rawel

Terrarian
I have created my first proper farm in view of having at least one farm prepared before hardmode. I figured I wanted some antlion drops for the mining potions so I decided to go for desert. I also wanted to farm vertebrae and the corruption pieces so I figured I would add crimson and corruption and snow for good measure since I don't have any of the eskimo vanity stuff.

My approach was building a 168 x 47 cleared box with a filled in 168 x 47 box below. The box sides are mostly made of irridescent bricks with the last 22 tiles at the ends made of 12 snow and 10 ebonstone/crimstone bricks (depending on side left corruption right crimson). I added another 200 crimstone below the floor on one side 200 ebonstone on the other 80 jungle grass blocks in the middle and 300 snow block straight below. You can see most of it on the following image https://imgur.com/x9ZLIWr
x9ZLIWr

Now my issue is that I'm only getting antlions, antlion swarmers and antlion chargers in the farm. I've seen no crimson or corruption or tundra spawns. I have even added a second layer of crimstone 4tiles above the one that starts 64 tiles out, but still no crimson spawns. Any idea what I'm doing wrong please?

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if natural desert walls have coding that block enemy spawns from other biomes. (A bit like how you don't get non-Dungeon enemies spawning in the Dungeon even if the Dungeon is surrounded by Snow, Corruption, Crimson or Hallow.) Try making this farm in a new area that is not the underground desert, and see how it goes.

It wouldn't surprise me if natural desert walls have coding that block enemy spawns from other biomes. (A bit like how you don't get non-Dungeon enemies spawning in the Dungeon even if the Dungeon is surrounded by Snow, Corruption, Crimson or Hallow.) Try making this farm in a new area that is not the underground desert, and see how it goes.
That wouldn't get underground dessert loot, that biome needs its walls natural

That wouldn't get underground dessert loot, that biome needs its walls natural
Correct, though from the statement "I've seen no crimson or corruption or tundra spawns." plus mention of vertebrae, I assumed the OP was trying for a general purpose farm. In which case, I don't think a farm in the underground desert will work. There are no pre-hardmode Corrupt/Crimson Desert enemies. I don't think other Corruption/Crimson enemies can spawn in the underground desert either.

A farm somewhere else that is not in the underground desert should work fine. It'd be nice to have only one enemy farm, but I don't think it's possible.

Thank you all very much for the information. I have made the farm in a different area (normal forest biome) and spawns started working just fine. So the takeaway seems to be that desert walls will block non-desert spawns. I assume biome key farming would probably still work but since I've already gained both the crimson and jungle key without needing to farm for them I'm not that bothered yet. I have also transitioned to hardmode since and am using the desert farm to get ichor for bullets used with the megashark.

Back
Top Bottom