*DEVS* Did you even playtest 1.4 master mode??? #OVERTUNED

1.4.1 is still something that is going to happen, and we've had decent amount of content in 1.x.x updates before.
So let's see if they'll add new AI for the game's enemies in the next updates (which should have few additions apparently) just to satisfy thirsty for difficulty in a game that is almost finished, which I think is unnecessary.

You're saying the devs would have needed time to playtest everything in master mode if they had created AI changes, which means they put out stat changes to save their time and not playtest the game.

You're misunderstanding what I said. Obviously playtesting would be needed for stat changes. But you need more playtesting and developer effort for AI changes because there are more knobs to turn.

Global stat multipliers only really have a few knobs to turn: the specific multipliers for Hp, defense, damage, etc. So you play around with them and find a set of multipliers that makes the game do whatever it is you're interested in making it do.

With AI, you have a lot more experimentation available on a very granular level. Even if you restrict changes to just boss AI, you'd probably be going through 3-4 different iterations of AI patterns before you find something "good". Each AI pattern would require programmer time, not just playtesting time, since an AI routine is actual game-code.

That's a lot more time and effort than just tweaking some multipliers. And even that assumes that you don't need to create new sprites or other visual effects to signify these new patterns.

So why didn't they scrap the mode entirely?

I am not the developers, so I cannot tell you precisely what is going on in their heads (remember: I wouldn't have given Expert Mode stat changes at all). But they clearly think that Master Mode would be worthwhile to some percentage of their user-base. And they're right; just perhaps not as big of a percentage as they thought.

The devs should not have hyped master mode as much as they have, if it were only stat changes.

I admit that I do not peruse everywhere "the devs" interact with the community. But everything I've seen shows that the devs made it abundantly clear that Master Mode would only be stat changes.

So let's see if they'll add new AI for the game's enemies in the next updates (which should have few additions apparently) just to satisfy thirsty for difficulty in a game that is almost finished, which I think is unnecessary.

Master Mode itself, and Expert Mode itself for that matter, are "unnecessary". That doesn't mean they're fundamentally a bad idea. I don't see why anyone would wish for Master Mode to not have more interesting AI.

I mean, you shouldn't expect it and it would be wrong to be disappointed if they don't do it. But there's no reason to actively not want it to happen. It's not like new AI would make Master Mode worse, now would it?

Master Mode itself, and Expert Mode itself for that matter, are "unnecessary". That doesn't mean they're fundamentally a bad idea. I don't see why anyone would wish for Master Mode to not have more interesting AI.

I mean, you shouldn't expect it and it would be wrong to be disappointed if they don't do it. But there's no reason to actively not want it to happen. It's not like new AI would make Master Mode worse, now would it?
Yes, if this AI change came I will not hate the master mode because of that.
But I think it’s hard to happen and, if it doesn't come, I won't miss it.

Last edited:
I agree that stat increases do increase difficulty in a certain sense, but the problem is that increasing health beyond a point will mostly make things more tedious. And in this way, it can make more sense for all hits to be KOs than to keep upping health -- of course, Terraria isn't designed to be a bullet hell game, so all hits being KOs would be problematic too.

So I think the real problem here isn't whether it is more difficult or not, it is that it's too tedious. It's one reason my wife and I have more fun with higher spawn rates than going up to master (though obviously that's not a help with boss fights). With boss fights usually we do the Master Mode fight once and then stop, because it's really just "do the same thing, but longer" and that's BORING. Yes, more difficult in a sense because you can get mentally fatigued and make a mistake, but that's not a fun kind of difficult.

(We play journey mode largely so we don't have to have room after room of chests for when I want to build something and need blocks and stuff like that).

You're misunderstanding what I said. Obviously playtesting would be needed for stat changes. But you need more playtesting and developer effort for AI changes because there are more knobs to turn.

Global stat multipliers only really have a few knobs to turn: the specific multipliers for Hp, defense, damage, etc. So you play around with them and find a set of multipliers that makes the game do whatever it is you're interested in making it do.

With AI, you have a lot more experimentation available on a very granular level. Even if you restrict changes to just boss AI, you'd probably be going through 3-4 different iterations of AI patterns before you find something "good". Each AI pattern would require programmer time, not just playtesting time, since an AI routine is actual game-code.

That's a lot more time and effort than just tweaking some multipliers. And even that assumes that you don't need to create new sprites or other visual effects to signify these new patterns.

I am not the developers, so I cannot tell you precisely what is going on in their heads (remember: I wouldn't have given Expert Mode stat changes at all). But they clearly think that Master Mode would be worthwhile to some percentage of their user-base. And they're right; just perhaps not as big of a percentage as they thought.

I admit that I do not peruse everywhere "the devs" interact with the community. But everything I've seen shows that the devs made it abundantly clear that Master Mode would only be stat changes.

alright, you got me convinced. master mode is the best gamemode ever.

I assume you were playing melee which was your first mistake, the lack of range is horrible for master mode and the pillars are doable they take a while until you get your pillar weapon and yes it's annoying and underground desesrt isn't absurdly annoying you just have to be smart which no offence but melee players aren't that smart they charge in without thinking

master mode makes you play methodically and not rush into everything

Back
Top Bottom