*DEVS* Did you even playtest 1.4 master mode??? #OVERTUNED

Maybe the reason why It sucks, is because you guys are playing alone. Ever since I begun playing the new update, I'm only playing Master Mode on multiplayer with friends. On Multiplayer It is quite fine.
....No, it's not.

Multiplayer does absolutely nothing to change the fact the enemies just have higher numbers and if you've already been able to nohit them for years, you are still able to nohit them no matter how much you raise their stats. Master Mode is just not good and completely fails to test the people who it was supposed to.

....No, it's not.

Multiplayer does absolutely nothing to change the fact the enemies just have higher numbers and if you've already been able to nohit them for years, you are still able to nohit them no matter how much you raise their stats. Master Mode is just not good.
It's good if you want to increase the game difficulty.

And bizarrelly, nobody has mentioned the Martian Saucers yet.

It's good if you want to increase the game difficulty.

And bizarrelly, nobody has mentioned the Martian Saucers yet.
-_-
More punishing =/= harder. Making the exact same amount of mistakes as easier difficulties and just taking more damage for the mistakes you do make is not more difficult, it's more punishing. There is a difference, and one is significantly more fun than the other.

The reason no one's mentioned martian saucers is because if you have a tabi you can just fly in circles for all of his attacks except the deathray, where you literally just dash in the opposite direction. It has a very VERY simple attack pattern that is not made any less simple because of master mode.

-_-
More punishing =/= harder. Making the exact same amount of mistakes as easier difficulties and just taking more damage for the mistakes you do make is not more difficult, it's more punishing. There is a difference, and one is significantly more fun than the other.

The reason no one's mentioned martian saucers is because if you have a tabi you can just fly in circles for all of his attacks except the deathray, where you literally just dash in the opposite direction. It has a very VERY simple attack pattern that is not made any less simple because of master mode.
I don't get what you're talking about, It feels harder for me, but whenever I beat a challenge alone or with a friend, the sense of accomplishment is a lot larger than the frustration.

And if the Martian Saucer is theorically that simple, and I'm having troubles with It, but I'm am managing to bear Master Mode itself, what other people are not, then certainly there's something wrong here.

I hate the stupid worms in hardmode underground desert. They spawn all the time and do a crap ton of damage. If they only spawned like once every 10 minutes or something that's be ok but it's closer to a worm out of nowhere every 10 seconds.

And if course in master more, it's worse because they do way more damage.

I don't get what you're talking about, It feels harder for me, but whenever I beat a challenge alone or with a friend, the sense of accomplishment is a lot larger than the frustration.

And if the Martian Saucer is theorically that simple, and I'm having troubles with It, but I'm am managing to bear Master Mode itself, what other people are not, then certainly there's something wrong here.
The reason that I cannot be convinced master mode wasn't a failure is because most people's opinions on it are:
a) it's too overtuned and punishing.
b) there were no new attack patterns and therefore no new content as a result, and the tryhards were let down on the mode that was supposedly meant to be for them.
When I beat it, there was no sense of accomplishment at all. I used the exact same strategies as expert and was not punished for it. I basically could have said "I beat this already" the moment it released because I had nohit the expert bosses required for progression before. I should not be allowed to say that, but unfortunately the lazy/unfinished quality of Master Mode allows it. I can't bear master mode, because it's literally "expert mode, but with more punishment for the mistakes I wasn't going to make anyway!" Not because it's tedious.

The reason that I cannot be convinced master mode wasn't a failure is because most people's opinions on it are:
a) it's too overtuned and punishing.
b) there were no new attack patterns and therefore no new content as a result, and the tryhards were let down on the mode that was supposedly meant to be for them.
When I beat it, there was no sense of accomplishment at all. I used the exact same strategies as expert and was not punished for it. I basically could have said "I beat this already" the moment it released because I had nohit the expert bosses required for progression before. I should not be allowed to say that, but unfortunately the lazy/unfinished quality of Master Mode allows it. I can't bear master mode, because it's literally "expert mode, but with more punishment for the mistakes I wasn't going to make anyway!" Not because it's tedious.
Then It's because you are too good at the game :3.

Then It's because you are too good at the game :3.
The thing is, master mode is aimed at tryhards like him, yet even they hate it, Master mode isn't aimed at new players.

Master does not provide anything more than simple health and damage increases, and for the people it's targeted at, that means nothing but making enemies take even longer to kill.

The thing is, master mode is aimed at tryhards like him, yet even they hate it, Master mode isn't aimed at new players.

Master does not provide anything more than simple health and damage increases, and for the people it's targeted at, that means nothing but making enemies take even longer to kill.
This mode was meant for people who are too good at the game.
Well'p, If you wanted difficulty, there It is.
At least you can get pets and very cool mounts from killing the bosses.

I'd also like to add - I'm not even that good at the game. Yet, I took on this challenge and was able to get through most of it at ease. I'm currently at Moon Lord, but stuck because I'm trying to beat it without cheese and it's normally a hard battle without the arbitrary stat modifiers.

Throughout most of the game, I didn't have as many problems either way. The game provides plenty of tools to counter what Expert mode would normally throw at you, making the stat boost almost redundant. I think I have only died 3 times in pre-hardmode, and about 6 times in hardmode (all of which were one shots that Warding wouldn't have stopped - hmmph).

Someone as mediocre as me can get that far in Master Mode because it doesn't truly feel like a mode for Masters, but a mode that just wants you to prepare as much as possible for most bosses since that will make it feel like a reasonable fight (although unchanged aside from stat boosts, atypical of games with complex difficulty modes).

I know that Master Mode isn't probably going to be extended past what it is now - but if someone like me can take on Master Mode and perhaps beat it entirely (I'm getting closer to beating Moon Lord, albeit quite a struggle with my small resolution and lack of skill), then it doesn't really feel like it should be a mode for "Masters."

Maybe the problem is these platform arenas. People say I use cheese when using minecarts for bosses. It's not like it's an exploit. On the other hand, I just saw a video of some guy fighting the Empress of Light during the day, master mode, using platforms and not getting hit once. Why is that not cheese? During 1.4 I finally got around to building my first platform arena when fighting Skeletron, primarily because I cut quite a few corners and wasn't sure I was strong enough. It made all the difference and I pretty much owned him.

I personally don't like those platforms because they look ugly, and, when they make bosses that easy, you kind of cheat yourself out of a challenge and an enjoyable gaming experience. Try beating bosses/mobs without them. You might find the experience to be quite different.

I feel like 1.4 was an improvement. Last pre 1.4 game I played I was running around hardmode(expert) in a molten breastplate/leggings + miners helm so see how long I could survive. Pretty much cleared out all areas except for bosses/unlockable areas. I haven't even bothered to try that now.

Granted, i do feel like the balance in the game should be polished some more. Some things just don't make sense but most of it is seated well.

Maybe the problem is these platform arenas. People say I use cheese when using minecarts for bosses. It's not like it's an exploit. On the other hand, I just saw a video of some guy fighting the Empress of Light during the day, master mode, using platforms and not getting hit once. Why is that not cheese? During 1.4 I finally got around to building my first platform arena when fighting Skeletron, primarily because I cut quite a few corners and wasn't sure I was strong enough. It made all the difference and I pretty much owned him.

I personally don't like those platforms because they look ugly, and, when they make bosses that easy, you kind of cheat yourself out of a challenge and an enjoyable gaming experience. Try beating bosses/mobs without them. You might find the experience to be quite different.
I'm not sure it's that simple. I tend to forgo arenas for the most part because they tend to trip me up (I depend on vertical mobility way too much to want platforms getting in the way while I'm falling), and I actually find bosses more difficult with them.

Did you all even thoroughly playtest the lunar events in master mode? I have 126 defense capped and trash mobs for the pillars still hit for 100 - 200 dmg a click. It's a bit stupid. Honestly, I love playing the game as a hardcore player but I will NEVER run this game on master mode hardcore for the stupidly overtuned pillars alone.
I think you should accept that this game in the master mode is not made for the character to tolerate many enemy hits, thinking about it, I don’t even bother to increase the numbers of defense, I focus on the attack.

The underground desert is also stupidly over tuned (gee, lets put a million cacti in there that inst-gib players and make the loot underwhelming for the risk/reward). It's pretty much skipped entirely every playthrough.
The cactus is not even a big challenge, I think the challenge being in the giant worms in the hardmode, they made me use my return potions several times to heal with the nurse and come back.

Anyway it is possible to defeat things without being hit, an example is the video of this youtube player (including the lunar event) :

Gellot Video
yes, so what? if you can beat expert mode, you can beat master mode. but master mode forces you to play perfectly, all the time. (also leviathan did it first) Master mode could have been a lot more like revengeance mode from calamity, yet it became a lazy stat change doable in 5 lines of code. Hyped from the very beginning, by the way. And just saying "but just ignore master mode, duh, just don't play it" is wrong. Re-logic implemented the gamemode, and they should fix the gamemode.

but master mode forces you to play perfectly, all the time
I don't think so, in fact I am damaged several times in the master mode (I'm kinda lazy in this game) but I escape death with the nurse's cure in almost every situation in the game, I have fun in the master mode, I finish it, I defeat the moon lord and hunt for more things to do after him.

I don't think so, in fact I am damaged several times in the master mode (I'm kinda lazy in this game) but I escape death with the nurse's cure in almost every situation in the game, I have fun in the master mode, I finish it, I defeat the moon lord and hunt for more things to do after him.
yes, i've defeated ML in master mode too, but do you really think it's reasonable that enemies in early hardmode are capable of dealing >200 damage per shot to you?

yes, but do you think it's reasonable that enemies in early hardmode are capable of dealing >200 damage per shot to you?
This is the challenge to be expected in a mode that must be more difficult than the expert mode, if the expert mode was "hard", the master mode should be "very hard" no?

Back
Top Bottom