Did a bunch of research on golf physics. Looking for a wiki expert to help me present it correctly.

Copious Kobold

Steampunker
The wiki's data on golf physics is terribly lacking.
To that end, I've made an exhaustive list of each block in Terraria and its effect on golf balls. Turns out there are two major measureable factors: the block's friction when the ball is rolling across it, and the block's effect on a ball struck from it. These two numbers are not always related.

I've put all this data into a useful spreadsheet, but I'd like to discuss with someone familiar with the wiki exactly what data is necessary to present and the best way to present it.
The data can be found here or in the post below: Google Docs

Last edited:
Oh hey, Terraria Forum technically has table support. Frickin' sucks though. The Google Docs one is definitely the one to save.

Block
FrictionPutt Resistance
Pink slime, Frozen slime, Ice, Silly Balloon​
Actual Distance In Blocks
Wood, Bamboo, Corrupt Grass​
Most blocks
Clay​
Ash​
Mowed grass​
52-19
Dirt​
Grass (Pure, Crimson, Hallow)
Mud, Flesh, Lesion, Shell pile, Crispy honey,Slime, Glowing mushroom, Cactus, Pumpkin​
Snow, Hay​
Sand, Silt, Slush, Cloud​
Honey Block​
Tee
n/a-56
n/a156
Water​
SubtractiveSubtractive
A tiny fraction of the original distanceA tiny fraction of the original distance
Honey​
SubtractiveSubtractive
Ball almost doesn't moveBall almost doesn't move
Tall Plant​
SubtractiveSubtractive
About 35-40% of the original distanceAbout 35-40% of the original distance

Friction was measured by hitting the ball onto the block, aiming at a fixed point. Measured from landing to stopping point.
Putt resistance was measured by hitting from the block straight up onto platforms.
Both values were then adjusted to a more intuitive range by subtracting them from 100, making higher values represent higher friction.

Testing seems to indicate friction and bounciness are one and the same; a single mechanic that reduces the ball's velocity on contact.

Back
Top Bottom