Linux Disappearing Solar Pillar on Linux Mint 19.2

I'm trying to nail down a problem playing the GOG Linux version of Terraria under Mint 19.2. During the Celestial Invasion event, the Lunar Pillar disappears as soon as it comes in range, but before it appears on screen. The background and music fade out and solar enemies stop appearing. I don't get any solar fragments. It's the only one of the four pillars that does this. The rest of the event and the fight with the Moon Lord proceeds as usual.

Oddly, on the same computer and OS using the same character and world, if I play the Steam Linux version of Terraria, the pillar behaves normally, complete with dropping solar fragments when it's destroyed.

I'm not sure what the difference between the two instances is. I do notice that Steam runs the 32-bit version of the game. When I try to run the 32-bit GOG version, it doesn't respond to mouse input at all.

Searching for the issue results in a very old bug report that was never resolved.

Any ideas on this one?

Kernel: 5.0.0-23-generic
AMD FX-6300 (6) @ 4.000GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740
Driver: 430.26-0ubuntu0-18.04.2

This is a very strange issue. I can sadly give no explanation, but just know that I am now on the lookout.

Celestial Pillar missing? :: Terraria General Discussions
This is the one you found, yes?

I believe that's the report I found the first time I looked, yes.

If it helps anyone to isolate my issue, I've been digging a bit on the issue and have uncovered the following facts:

This does not seem to be related to a video driver. I completely uninstalled the nvidia driver I was using and (at glacial speed because of no 3d support) verified that this was still happening.

This seems to be cohabitant with a glitch where a column of slush will disappear entirely if you mine a solid block beneath it, or be reduced immediately to 1 dropped block slush if you mine the bottom block of the column. This glitch doesn't seem to affect other 'gravity affected' tiles such as sand, silt, or coins.

Running the game via the server, TerrariaServer.bin.x86_64, and then joining via multiplayer causes the following behavior: The client tries to make the solar pillar and slush blocks disappear, but if you move out of range, they will reappear. The solar pillar appears on the map, and you can actually walk up to the column of slush blocks you 'destroyed' with one pickaxe hit. i.e: the server keeps correct track of the items and doesn't allow them to be destroyed improperly even if the client wants to.

Back
Top Bottom