Disappointed with Expert Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we're spitballing ideas, I'd like something that lets me control time so I can get these last 60 fishing quests done for my final achievement. Literally, anything besides the Gravity Globe is acceptable though, as its literally less useful than Gravitation Potions, because you cant swap in the air using the globe :\
Those fishing quests go much faster if you use multiple characters, since it's the same quest for everyone each day.

Way to avoid the point. Let's put it in a different light. What is harder? Is it:

1. An enemy that you can dodge effectively and survive continuously
2. An enemy that becomes faster than you and you can do near to nothing to keep your health up against it because of the massive amount of lasers it spams on top of the leeches.

Let me make your comparison actually accurate here... which is harder?

1. An enemy that you can dodge effectively and survive continuously for minutes on end?
2. An enemy that you can't outrun and can kill you in 20 seconds, but that doesn't matter because it'll be dead in 10?

Those fishing quests go much faster if you use multiple characters, since it's the same quest for everyone each day.

Also, Enchanted Sundial.

2. An enemy that you can't outrun and can kill you in 20 seconds, but that doesn't matter because it'll be dead in 10?
It goes into super death mode at about 900 health, so for some weapons it's a tall order. Few weapons can deal that much in the short time frame.

Let me make your comparison actually accurate here... which is harder?

1. An enemy that you can dodge effectively and survive continuously for minutes on end?

You say that as if it is a certainty that it'll be dead within 10 seconds.

Lest you forget that there is likely the Hungry and a few leeches that will be blocking some shots, and that not everyone is a super pro at this game (they'll likely be overwhelmed by the sudden speed change).

I agree with you on many points. I had insane problems in PHM. I only managed to defeat EoW due to Hivepack+Beenades and full molten armor :D
I actually LOVED mid-late hardmode though! Everything felt reasonable (Except Golem who STILL is a pushover) until I accidentally triggered the pillars. Currently, I'm stuck at moon lord...

Well, personally I was killed by almost every boss at least once (except for Queen Bee and Slime King), as I had to explore the way they function in the Expert. Say, I didn't expect the WoF to be much faster. That's why I think it's cool to kill all the bosses (leaving apart the final boss) at first try.

I agree, early game Expert mode is difficult but it is called Expert mode for a reason... You shouldn't expect to use the exact same strategy for a character as in normal.
However, as stated before mid to late hardmode is not as difficult. The Destroyer, The Twins and Skeletron Prime can all be defeated with the Daedalus Stormbow (Hallowed Mimic drop), Plantera with an arena + the megashark and The Golem is just a pushover as normal. The biggest challenges in expert just need to be prepared for, whether using an arena or just extra buff potions.

Well, personally I was killed by almost every boss at least once (except for Queen Bee and Slime King), as I had to explore the way they function in the Expert. Say, I didn't expect the WoF to be much faster. That's why I think it's cool to kill all the bosses (leaving apart the final boss) at first try.

That's kind of what happens when you already have an extensive amount of experience before the update and know what equipment works through all stages.

The bosses that had major differences in a way that you had to approach them differently are the Eye of Cthulhu, Queen Bee, Eater of Worlds (have yet to engage Brain of Cthulhu) and Skeletron. But this is in Pre-HM, so it was never too difficult anyway. I just balanced it through great preparation so I could adapt to new risks without getting pulverised.

The bosses that had differences, but not enough to warrant a completely different approach, include Plantera, Wall of Flesh and Duke Fishron. In these cases, I just had to employ the same tactics with additional preparation and caution.

The bosses that had minor differences are the King Slime, Golem and the Mechanical Bosses. For these, I literally just did the same kind of tactic with the same evasive measures and it still works fine.

What I haven't said is that I got pounded by the Martian Invasion and Solar Pillar first time, but this was during a mentally exhausted state of which I was not willing to learn from mistakes.

Oh, moon events weren't mentioned either. Pumpkin Moon became a real challenge to survive, mostly because wave15 is so easy to reach and so spam heavy. Using life-leech would have yielded a different result. Frost Moon interestingly enough I found quite pleasant and trivial, even up to wave17. Pirate Invasion is very similar; the pirate ship is nothing dangerous to engage on platforms.

That's kind of what happens when you already have an extensive amount of experience before the update and know what equipment works through all stages.
Information is important, I agree.

The bosses that had major differences in a way that you had to approach them differently are the Eye of Cthulhu, Queen Bee, Eater of Worlds (have yet to engage Brain of Cthulhu) and Skeletron. But this is in Pre-HM, so it was never too difficult anyway. I just balanced it through great preparation so I could adapt to new risks without getting pulverised.
The Eye of Cthulhu was the toughest challenge to me. Fortunately, I employed sort of old technique here: I did not use heart crystals until I had more or less decent armor and weapons so I was not to encounter the Eye of Cthulhu unexpectedly.

The bosses that had differences, but not enough to warrant a completely different approach, include Plantera, Wall of Flesh and Duke Fishron. In these cases, I just had to employ the same tactics with additional preparation and caution.

The bosses that had minor differences are the King Slime, Golem and the Mechanical Bosses. For these, I literally just did the same kind of tactic with the same evasive measures and it still works fine.
Yes. They just beat me due to their increased health and damage. :/

What I haven't said is that I got pounded by the Martian Invasion and Solar Pillar first time, but this was during a mentally exhausted state of which I was not willing to learn from mistakes.
Same here. However, Lunar events proved to be a real pain in the neck to me, as well as some new Solar Eclipse creatures.

Oh, moon events weren't mentioned either. Pumpkin Moon became a real challenge to survive, mostly because wave15 is so easy to reach and so spam heavy. Using life-leech would have yielded a different result. Frost Moon interestingly enough I found quite pleasant and trivial, even up to wave17. Pirate Invasion is very similar; the pirate ship is nothing dangerous to engage on platforms.
I've had the same experience, but probably with more deaths.

Thanks for the reply! It was sort of interesting to read.

I agree, early game Expert mode is difficult but it is called Expert mode for a reason... You shouldn't expect to use the exact same strategy for a character as in normal.
However, as stated before mid to late hardmode is not as difficult. The Destroyer, The Twins and Skeletron Prime can all be defeated with the Daedalus Stormbow (Hallowed Mimic drop), Plantera with an arena + the megashark and The Golem is just a pushover as normal. The biggest challenges in expert just need to be prepared for, whether using an arena or just extra buff potions.
I can honestly say, I've killed each of the mechanical bosses about 20 - 25 times each on Expert Mode, (started to save all the mechanical wagon pieces) and I literally cannot tell what they do that they didn't do on normal, besides more damage and health.

I can honestly say, I've killed each of the mechanical bosses about 20 - 25 times each on Expert Mode, (started to save all the mechanical wagon pieces) and I literally cannot tell what they do that they didn't do on normal, besides more damage and health.
I'm pretty sure that's it, they just have more stats. No new behaviour like other bosses.

I've now beaten expert mode with pretty much every class in a legit playthrough so far (working on finalizing my ranger play through this week - started with summoner).

The Eye - probably your first foray into realizing you aren't in Kansas anymore. If you aren't good with a hook to out-momentum this freak of nature just grab some ice skates and lay down a few screens of ice. Easy breezy beautiful.

The Worm - Pierce all day errday. Piercing weapons turn this from a horrible unfair battle to easy mode. Chaching, worm down.

The Brain - Once again piercing and area coverage to the rescue. Throw a few platforms in and hook, dodge, and blow past it.

Skeletron - All you need here is room to run and a small 8x8 solid block. Max speed run while blowing his arms into the stratosphere, and then go dance around the solid block when he starts giving you the projectile spam. Eat it, skeleton buddy.

Wall of Flesh - Prep the ground with a solid block platform and punch holes in it all over the place so slimes dont spill their death juice all over your new shoes. Grab yourself some buff potions and dont shy on the swiftness. Piercing and spray weapons with hussain bolt mentality. Boom welcome to hard mode.

Destroyer - Platform in the sky means he can't reach you. Solid blocks above the platform means he cant laser you. Pierce his slender body until you get scared of adds, jump on the solid blocks and mow them down. Rinse, repeat, THIS IS MY HOUSE WORM.

The Twins & Prime - Lumping these guys together because gravity potions make them a joke even on expert.

Plantera - The first time in expert I realized "okay this might be hard". Dig an arena out around the bulb with enough room to grapple around and avoid pink spiky balls. I'm talking CLOCKWORK. 1 oclock 2 oclock rock. 3oclock 4oclock rock. Plants hate clocks, and moreso when you force them into playing the second hand on steroids. Boom, greenhouse massacre complete.

Golem - lol do whatever you want. He needs buffs in expert no joke.

The rest I leave to you to figure out. DONT LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS!

There's also several problems with balancing, most notably hardmode HP doubling and "new" armor system being rendered useless by overly inflated damage numbers; but chalk up those to me being a nitpicky bastard.
Yes, I agree there. No offence to the developers, but a straight doubling of enemy damage feels more like a bad "New Game+" idea. There are some mechanics in Expert mode that really work well - e.g. new AI, arming zombies, skeletons throwing bones, water in the Snow biome inflicts Chilled, bats can inflict Feral Bite. They're all good ways of mixing up the gameplay and doing something new. A damage double feels a bit thoughtless.

EoC, EoW, BoC, Skeletron, QB, and KS are all technically optional since none of them are required to beat before you can fight Wall of Flesh, so they all get individual items.
I thought defeating Skeletron was required in order to summon WoF? Otherwise the Voodoo Doll does nothing when dropped in lava?

Since we're talking about Expert mode being unfair... in my first Expert world, I had a Granite mini-biome generate on the surface less that a screen to the left of my spawn area. I had a Marble biome generate on the surface about a dozen blocks to the right of the spawn point. The Granite / Marble biome enemies won't spawn on the surface, which was a blessing. The moment you go past ground level though... let's just say I don't like Granite Elementals anymore.
Less than a screen beneath the spawn point was a Mushroom biome. Mercifully, the mushroom enemies do not spawn (I don't know why?), but there's a big pit there to navigate.
I misjudged how high zombies could jump when building houses (they were constructed off the ground). First night was a Blood Moon. Although I've complained about the respawn delay, this was the only thing stopping me from being constantly slaughtered. (Which I was anyway, but the respawn delay saved me for ~30 secs each death.) If I go over the Grante biome to the left, I get murdered by Antlions. If I go to the right, I get murdered by Crimson enemies. If I dig down, I get murdered by Granite Elementals.

Welcome to Expert mode, Sigma!

(Fortunately a new Expert world was kinder to me and I've managed to progress. I'm determined to try playing it with a new character legitimately. I was not expecting the EoC's defence to rise to the point where each hit would do only one damage. The Nurse got paid for the first time that night. And the 20th time. I'm concerned for EoW... but one step at a time. And regardless, I am still enjoying the feeling of a new game! :))

Yes, I agree there. No offence to the developers, but a straight doubling of enemy damage feels more like a bad "New Game+" idea. There are some mechanics in Expert mode that really work well - e.g. new AI, arming zombies, skeletons throwing bones, water in the Snow biome inflicts Chilled, bats can inflict Feral Bite. They're all good ways of mixing up the gameplay and doing something new. A damage double feels a bit thoughtless.

I thought defeating Skeletron was required in order to summon WoF? Otherwise the Voodoo Doll does nothing when dropped in lava?
agreed on the doubling stats aspect inflated numbers never really add true difficulty just make glass canons and damage sponges

As for skeletron being optional you can't fight the moonlord unless he is defeated as the cultists can't overide the cursed man so... not optional but you can push it off for a good while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom