tAPI [Discontinued] tAPI - A Mod To Make Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooookkkkaaaaayyyy... Well, Norton sounds bad, but I'll come back in the morning. :redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin::redspin:
Hmmm, it could be a corrupted Config file. Try deleting the Config.json file from your tAPI folder in /My Documents/My Games/Terraria. (not the config.dat file from your Terraria folder) If that doesn't work, rename your tAPI folder to tAPI2 and launch tAPI. If that works, move the Mods, Players and Worlds folders from tAPI2 to tAPI.

Hi terrarians,
I have a some questions about tAPI,
1- can we have several versions of tAPI on the computer at the same time (like r15 for r15 mods and r14 for r14 mods)
2- and if not, is it that bad to launch r14 mods with tAPI r15?
thanks for the possible answers and have a nice day

Hi terrarians,
I have a some questions about tAPI,
1- can we have several versions of tAPI on the computer at the same time (like r15 for r15 mods and r14 for r14 mods)
2- and if not, is it that bad to launch r14 mods with tAPI r15?
thanks for the possible answers and have a nice day
r15 should support r14 mods...

My friend and I really want to play together, but tAPI doesn't work. We downloaded r15, and that didn't work. It was stuck on starting server. Next we downgraded to r14a, and it started the server but my friend couldnt connect. It was stuck at connecting to (ip). We had a hamachi network. Can anyone help us? How do we set up a modded server?

I have another problem with tapi :(

I made example mod to check is that working, is that difficult etc... Whatever. I made two items, second crafted by first. Then i created textures (i think that was .png expansion). I used tAPI builder (i had little problem but i only had to change "terraria" name to "tAPI"), i made tapi file, what was in folder called "Local". I loaded that mod and game crashed, in main menu :(. I don't know what to do, files "JSON" and "PNG" was in Plejs's Mod/Items. I forgot something or what?

Hmmm, it could be a corrupted Config file. Try deleting the Config.json file from your tAPI folder in /My Documents/My Games/Terraria. (not the config.dat file from your Terraria folder) If that doesn't work, rename your tAPI folder to tAPI2 and launch tAPI. If that works, move the Mods, Players and Worlds folders from tAPI2 to tAPI.
"Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" AAAGH IT'S SO ANNOYING!

So, just reminding you guys:
So umm. Guys. Any bugs we're missing here? http://tapi.axxim.net/bugs/view_all_bug_page.php
Please report any problems you find on the bugtracker, not here. Makes it easy for us to track all the stuff we still have to do, considering how this thread already reached 208 pages, and maybe 5% is actual stuff to report. Also no duplicate issues, please.

We'll be trying to release the last 1.2.4.1 update before Terraria 1.3 hits.

"Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" "Failed to start game (missing executable)" AAAGH IT'S SO ANNOYING!
OK, something's probably up with one of the .exe files. you could try deleting all .exe files then validate Terraria's game cache, which will download a new .exe file. Then re-install tAPI.

You might want to consider using Game launcher. It seems to reduce the chance of errors and means that you don't have to duplicate and rename terraria.exe.

r15 should support r14 mods...
thx for the answer i just started to play the game again as the 1.3 will come out rly soon so i'm in lack of information at the moment :)
so if somebody could tell me what will change for the mods when 1.3 will be released like if some conflicts will grow or anything or if it will be updated right away i would apreciate :)

ps: soooory if my english is not that good i'm actualy french i just hope you hunderstand what i say and i hope we'll be able to comunicate xD
i feel like the french communoty is asleep :/ LOL

thx for the answer i just started to play the game again as the 1.3 will come out rly soon so i'm in lack of information at the moment :)
so if somebody could tell me what will change for the mods when 1.3 will be released like if some conflicts will grow or anything or if it will be updated right away i would apreciate :)

Okay, I'll be straightforward about this. One question at a time.

• tAPI r16 will be the last update for Terraria 1.2.4.1, fixing as many issues as possible.
  • tAPI r16 will be released before Terraria 1.3 gets released, or on the same day. There is no point in keeping it unreleased afterwards.
  • tAPI r16 will require ALL MODS to be rebuilt. Can't be skipped, due to the split of tAPI.exe into tAPI.exe and tAPI Core.dll.
  • tAPI r16 should keep working after the 1.3 update, but it won't have any of the 1.3 content/mechanics/code.
  • We don't have any estimates on tAPI for 1.3.
  • Truth be told, we can't even say if tAPI will be continued. There may or may not be plans for official modding in future versions of Terraria to keep the game alive (it just makes sense for Re-Logic to consider that), and we don't plan on competing; if there was supposed to be, say, Terraria 1.3.1 with official modding API, tAPI would stop having a reason to exist, so until we know at least this much, no work towards a 1.3 release will be done.
  • If we decide to continue with tAPI, it most likely will get rewritten once again. And most likely won't have much support from @Yoraiz0r, who just doesn't have time nor the energy to continue working on it, considering how busy he is with Terraria itself. Not to mention the rest of the devs (including me) are busy with their life too. More regarding this issue below.
  • If tAPI does get a rewrite, it'll most likely drop support for 32-bit machines - it has problems handling multiple mods at once on Terraria 1.2.4.1... I'm scared of thinking how bad 1.3 will be with all the new content. Dropping 32-bit support would let us use much more memory, possibly increasing the amount of mods you could load or world size.
  • Another thing is the possible (lack) of Linux / OSX support. None of the devs (other than @MiraiMai I guess, due to her Windows setup being broken) use these. Also, that would require us to move onto Mono, causing some optimization problems. Another thing that would need to be done is handling mods for each OS. That would most likely require all mods to be pure open source (currently you have a way of releasing your mods as just .tapimod, which doesn't include the source (well, unless you decompile it, which wouldn't be very hard)).
  • One last issue is our lack of time/will to commit to tAPI. I personally would rather not revive tAPI for Terraria 1.3, unless we get permission from Re-Logic to use a public github repository for hosting code. That would mean everyone could participate in the project and see the "original" (tAPI, not original Terraria - this one would still be the decompiled version) code without decompiling it, with all variable names, comments, constants, formatting, file organization, etc. I truly doubt anyone would get officially allowed to do that though, as we'd still be exposing Terraria's code.

Okay, I'll be straightforward about this. One question at a time.

• tAPI r16 will be the last update for Terraria 1.2.4.1, fixing as many issues as possible.
  • tAPI r16 will be released before Terraria 1.3 gets released, or on the same day. There is no point in keeping it unreleased afterwards.
  • tAPI r16 will require ALL MODS to be rebuilt. Can't be skipped, due to the split of tAPI.exe into tAPI.exe and tAPI Core.dll.
  • tAPI r16 should keep working after the 1.3 update, but it won't have any of the 1.3 content/mechanics/code.
  • We don't have any estimates on tAPI for 1.3.
  • Truth be told, we can't even say if tAPI will be continued. There may or may not be plans for official modding in future versions of Terraria to keep the game alive (it just makes sense for Re-Logic to consider that), and we don't plan on competing; if there was supposed to be, say, Terraria 1.3.1 with official modding API, tAPI would stop having a reason to exist, so until we know at least this much, no work towards a 1.3 release will be done.
  • If we decide to continue with tAPI, it most likely will get rewritten once again. And most likely won't have much support from @Yoraiz0r, who just doesn't have time nor the energy to continue working on it, considering how busy he is with Terraria itself. Not to mention the rest of the devs (including me) are busy with their life too. More regarding this issue below.
  • If tAPI does get a rewrite, it'll most likely drop support for 32-bit machines - it has problems handling multiple mods at once on Terraria 1.2.4.1... I'm scared of thinking how bad 1.3 will be with all the new content. Dropping 32-bit support would let us use much more memory, possibly increasing the amount of mods you could load or world size.
  • Another thing is the possible (lack) of Linux / OSX support. None of the devs (other than @MiraiMai I guess, due to her Windows setup being broken) use these. Also, that would require us to move onto Mono, causing some optimization problems. Another thing that would need to be done is handling mods for each OS. That would most likely require all mods to be pure open source (currently you have a way of releasing your mods as just .tapimod, which doesn't include the source (well, unless you decompile it, which wouldn't be very hard)).
  • One last issue is our lack of time/will to commit to tAPI. I personally would rather not revive tAPI for Terraria 1.3, unless we get permission from Re-Logic to use a public github repository for hosting code. That would mean everyone could participate in the project and see the "original" (tAPI, not original Terraria - this one would still be the decompiled version) code without decompiling it, with all variable names, comments, constants, formatting, file organization, etc. I truly doubt anyone would get officially allowed to do that though, as we'd still be exposing Terraria's code.
Thank you very much for all the info, and for being so upfront about everything. The work you and the other devs have done has not only made Terraria enjoyable in a different way, but also allowed me to learn new coding techniques, and really made me feel amazing to know people were enjoying the mods I created.

If for some reason tAPI is continued for 1.3, and Re-Logic allows it, you may consider looking for new coders from this community. Many people here would love the opportunity to be a part of the team, make contributions to the code, and see it continued. And some people here have shown very impressive coding skills, and great dedication to their mods.

Even if tAPI is discontinued when 1.3 is released, I will continue to enjoy creating new mods, and tinkering with the ones I have. The work you and the other devs have done will continue to be utilized and appreciated long after tAPI is discontinued.

My sincerest thanks and appreciation to everyone who has contributed to tAPI, and to Re-Logic for allowing and encouraging tAPI, and to everyone here who utilized the bug tracker and/or showed support for tAPI!

Best of luck to everyone involved,
Neojin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom