tAPI [Discontinued] tAPI - A Mod To Make Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more o/ for you -_-
Please quit trolling
you casul scrub
c86c801ff1.png

I think it comes to the real question: Which API will allow the most freedom for complicated code?
tModLoader relies on inserting "hook" code into the decompiled Terraria source.

Prism relies on injecting hooks directly into the compiled Terraria assembly.

Both are theoretically capable of the same level of integration with the game so "most freedom for complicated code" depends entirely on which hooks the API adds; it's just that one is a lot easier to update when Terraria does.

"Complicated" is pretty vague, I'm sure both will have positives and negatives, but it's far too early to judge that.
I suppose it is too early, but I was just curious as to which one was planned to be the least of a watered-down-push-a-button-instant-mod-maker (if you get what I mean).
tModLoader relies on inserting "hook" code into the decompiled Terraria source.

Prism relies on injecting hooks directly into the compiled Terraria assembly.

Both are theoretically capable of the same level of integration with the game so "most freedom for complicated code" depends entirely on which hooks the API adds; it's just that one is a lot easier to update when Terraria does.
Interesting. Though, if they both turn out to be just as capable at creating unique mods, I'll probably end up using whichever one is easier to use. :p

I suppose it is too early, but I was just curious as to which one was planned to be the least of a watered-down-push-a-button-instant-mod-maker (if you get what I mean).

Interesting. Though, if they both turn out to be just as capable at creating unique mods, I'll probably end up using whichever one is easier to use. :p
As far as I've seen, both are avoiding being that way, both require coding and don't really hand hold. Main difference is that Prism allows JSON's optionally, and tModLoader doesnt. Not that it makes much of a difference. It's all on how and what hooks are implemented, and what other utility code is included.

There's.

ILSpy and VisualStudio 2015

Anyway, all those prism-fanboys, lol - get a life.

tModLoader has much more features than prism ever will have, and is much more better in all ways.
Not only tModLoader uses actual c# instead of crappy cecil like prism, it's perfomance is like x10 better. So yeah, get lost with prism of yours lol.
Someone is gonna report that you know

Source: 10years enterprise experience with VB++.Net and .NET Framework 5.0
Prism isnt done and neither is tmodloader. There both wip. No need to flip out just because people like Prism

"Gentlemen you can't fight here, this is the WAR room!"

Sorry, I just can't resist an opportunity to use that line :dryadsmile:.

Anyway, there's not much point having a pissing contest before anyone's even had a few glasses of water. How about we just let everybody get their respective API's built, and once there in a state closer to general functionality we can argue their respective merits.

But please don't take TOO long; I really miss my Morph Ball, wireless teleporter network, and my trusty multi-wrench with included wire cutter :(

does not work, every time I go to launch tAPI it makes a noise and it never comes up
[DOUBLEPOST=1438242838,1438242610][/DOUBLEPOST]why does it keep on giving me error loading images/craft button not found

does not work, every time I go to launch tAPI it makes a noise and it never comes up
[DOUBLEPOST=1438242838,1438242610][/DOUBLEPOST]why does it keep on giving me error loading images/craft button not found
It's because the 1.3 update changed some file names. It's possible to get tAPI working by either copying some assets from a 1.2 install of Terraria, or by duplicating and renaming certain 1.3 images. All R15 or earlier mods need to be rebuilt for R16. However, as tAPI R16 was discontinued on launch, most mod developers probably can't be bothered.

Besides, tModLoader is already well into development, and the tAPI team are apparently working on something new, so there's little point to continue with tAPI.

If you really want to use tAPI, I guess I could work out how to get tAPI working in Terraria 1.3.

Why "Current tAPI version is r15" isn't it r16 now?
Tapi R16 was discontinued at launch. They didn't even bother to change the text in the Original Post, even though they did update the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom