Discussion: Is Starlight a Shortsword?

NewtheElf

Terrarian
Recently I have been wondering: is Starlight a shortsword? I mean, on one hand, if you ignore the beams, it seems to look and function like a shortsword. On the other hand, the beams make it so much different than any other shortsword, and would make it the only hardmode shortsword and the only shortsword with projectiles. What are your thoughts on this?

I think it is more like the Arkhalis, Terragrim, Fetid Baghnakhs, and Psycho Knife.
But on second thought, it does attack more like the Gladius, which is a shortsword, so... maybe?

Last edited:
Given the new shortsword mechanics I would say definitely Just compare to the Gladius and Ruler In fact I came to a sort of realization that Arkhalis, and Terragrim as well are effectively shortswords which due to their special behavior can't get size modifiers.

I believe it is, considering the attack behaviour:
Normal sword swings up-to-downwards.
Shortsword thrusts straight to the mouse direction.

Any magic stuff onto the sword doesn't really change the weapon type with a few exceptions, I think Zenith is the one that is neither sword or shortsword imo.

I can say it is a shortsword, a really long one. Like a longsword, but shorter. Actually, it attacks kinda looks like a jousting lance, but yah, shortsword it is.

It's a rapier, technically. I guess shortswords stab while broadswords slash, so it's the former.

So shortswords are just rapiers?
A rapier has an extremely thin blade, so not technically. Most shortswords actually resemble a Gladius more (in fact, one of them literally is called that), with the Ruler and Starlight being the only exceptions.

A rapier has an extremely thin blade, so not technically. Most shortswords actually resemble a Gladius more (in fact, one of them literally is called that), with the Ruler and Starlight being the only exceptions.
They could be made by a guy who has no f*cking idea how to make a rapier.

I would say it's a super long and colorful shortsword, however you still can't have a shortsword playthrough

Yes because like other short swords in 1.4 you can use it in all directions, it’s a melee weapon and the way you use it too

Back
Top Bottom