[Discussion] Sand Farm Concepts

Sand farms aren't that great, but its an interesting concept to work with. Today I'll be discussing my favorite concepts and how we may be able to take them to the next level.

-Antlion Pile: Antlions fire sand blocks, and these can be broken to get sand. This is however, a very active process.
-Antlion Minecart Pile: When sand falls on a minecart track, it breaks. This currently does not produce sand, but may be useful in future updates.

-Taped Mouse Antlion Pile: Antlions are a great source of sand blocks, but there's no way to break them. Taping down the mouse button with a pickaxe in hand can net you sand in a very controlled environment.

-Sandgun: The sandun shoots sand and is boosted by ammo conservation. Breaking its sand nets sand, but you need to get ammo conservation and break the blocks.
-Sandgun Minecart Pile: When sand falls on a minecart track, it breaks. This currently does not produce sand, but may be useful in future updates.
-Sandgun Inside Blocks: Shooting sand while inside blocks breaks the sand. This currently does not produce sand, but may be useful in future updates.
-Sandgun 2 Player: One person shoots sand at another and the other breaks it. This can be done afk and nets sand, but requires 2 people

-Bombs: Any sort of sand producing bombs can break sand. However, bombs are not autofire and are limited.
-Bombs With Statue: The bomb statue could provide enough bombs to keep the player farming sand. Let's show 2 ways to do it
-Bombs With Statue - 2 Player Sandgun: One player shoots a sandgun, and the other breaks it with bombs. This can be done afk and nets sand, but this requires 2 people and a way to keep clicking
-Bombs With Statue - Antlion Pile: A pile of antlions throws sand, which is destroyed by bombs. This can be done afk and nets sand, but this requires a way to keep clicking

Those are some of my favorite ways to farm sand. Feel free to pitch yours as well.

Last edited:
-Antlion Minecart Pile: When sand falls on a minecart track, it breaks. This currently does not produce sand, but may be useful in future updates.
Actually, it's not just minecart tracks, this happens if the falling sand projectile lands inside of any existing tile. According to this older tweet, in the next update sand will also drop as an item in this case, just like coin stacks. Twitter

EDIT: Oh wait, never mind. It looks like track are actually special, and they do just kill falling sand/coins outright... Well that would have been great to know when I made this thing: PC - [showcase] Reliable coin stack breaker

Last edited:
Actually, it's not just minecart tracks, this happens if the falling sand projectile lands inside of any existing tile. According to this older tweet, in the next update sand will also drop as an item in this case, just like coin stacks. Twitter

EDIT: Oh wait, never mind. It looks like track are actually special, and they do just kill falling sand/coins outright... Well that would have been great to know when I made this thing: PC - [showcase] Reliable coin stack breaker
Glad to hear that'll work. Got 1 afk farm working now! Now acorns just need autoswing...

Oh, I built an 'Antlion-Based Sand Farm' some time ago, I got the Antlions moved near the player and the unwanted creatures were killed, this farm can accumulate up to 12 Antlions throwing sand: PC - Automated Sand Factory - Useless Farm? [Unfortunately I lost the map;(]
Yeah, I saw that! That was actually what got me into sand farms :). I can't wait for 1.4 to come and let us shove minecart tracks and conveyer belts (or hoiks) to make that automated.

I will rebuild the farm, improving the design and making some adjustments, already thinking of a way to bring the dropped sand to the player, [maybe a hybrid Hoiks and Conveyor Belts], but that only when 1.4 comes out ... We are all looking forward to it! :D

Back
Top Bottom