tModLoader DNI Equipment Upgrade

DaiNekoIchi

Plantera
S7oAt48.png

DNI Equipment Upgrade
(Now migrated to tML for Terraria v1.4)

Download: Mod Browser | Steam Workshop | GitHub (tML Terraria 1.3 versions)
Join my Discord Server for faster feedback.

This mod will allow you to upgrade your equipment using mod-exclusive items.

ALL INFORMATION ABOUT THE MOD HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED TO THE WIKI.
Click here to go to the wiki.

Last edited:
Haven't played Terraria in a while, but this is a good opportunity for me to put a good opinion on an upgrade system. It only depends on how much effort you're willing to put into the mod, but here you go:

When I think about an upgrade system, I think about a tiered system that grows with time so you need to constantly acquire new items. The most interesting approach would be that you need to craft the item rather than kill mobs to get the upgrade stone. Drops get annoying really quickly and can be abused if you have patience. If you need to craft the item, it sits on a "You gotta go pick these items and work for it," kinda deal.

So I'd suggest that that the player should craft the crafting materials in a tiered manner, starting with common everyday materials, like wood. So say you use 20 wood and 5 silk to create a "White-Tier Upgrade Slate" or something to that effect, which allows you to upgrade items which ORIGINAL rarity are White.

Then, to get to the next tier you'd put in some Copper/Tin and Iron/Lead to increase the Slate's rarity to Blue, to upgrade blue items. Then some Silver/Tungsten and Gold/Platinum to upgrade to the next tier, being Green, and so on. Of course, these are just coarse examples, you can use other more interesting items to make the upgrade item; I just used easy examples.

Of course, so it isn't a hassle, you'd be able to craft each slate individually using a slightly more expensive recipe instead of upgrading your slate, so you're not harvesting wood right before the Moon Lord to make some high tier slates.

When you get to around a third of the way (say +3/+4 or so if the cap is +10), the item has a small chance to decrease its upgrade grade. When you get around two-thirds of the way (maybe around +7/+8 or so), it has a chance to downgrade twice in a row. You can think of some other drawbacks the higher you upgrade, these are just examples.

Next, when it comes to the upgrading process itself, the slate that matches the item's rarity would have an initial 100% chance to upgrade the item, decreasing over a steadily rate the more you upgrade it, depending on how many upgrades you want to set as the ceiling. If you use the next tier, however, the chances are higher. For example, if you use a Blue-Tier Slate to upgrade a White-Tier item, the chance would be naturally higher.

A small problem shows up when you talk about Rainbow Rarity, as it's hard to balance out an item to upgrade any Rainbow-Rarity item. I'd probably do something where Rainbow-Rarities can use any Slate with a small chance of success, that increases periodically as the Slates get better, so to get a +10 Rainbow-Rarity you'd need to progress naturally through the game since they're basically equal in how useful they are.

Catalysts would be the last thing to talk about. Probably use Gems as Catalysts with different effects:

Ruby: Small chance to not consume an upgrade Slate.
Sapphire: Prevents upgrade grade decrease.
Emerald: Increase the chance of the upgrade working.
Amethyst: Small chance to upgrade the item twice in a row (half the chance to upgrade once).
Topaz: Allows a lower tier slate (one tier) to be used instead of an on tier one.
Diamond: Decreases the change of the upgrade working, but you don't use slates (upgrade can still fail or get degrade).
Amber: Increases the chance of the upgrade working by a lot (never to 100%), but if it fails the item resets back to +0.

Again these are just examples. You can probably figure out better ways of doing these too.

Also, I think that doubling the damage is way too much. Perhaps 25% tops would be best, with some small upgrades, up to like 5%-ish to all the other stats. Armor could probably get up to 33% more defense and +10%-ish its other stats (when applicable). Accessories would be hard, probably either some small defense amount, some enhanced effect or increasing their prefix bonus by 50%-ish percent when +10.

Lastly, mod support is a big thing. Some mods introduce new grades after Purple, so it'd be nice for a slate that works with those or something. The more compatible and interactable this is with other mods, the better it'll be since it seems the majority of the player-base uses all the big mods out there (myself included when I used to play frequently).

Hopefully, I've given you some ideas. It really only depends on how much effort you want to put on this mod. Would be extremely nice to have at least 1 good upgrade mod out there that isn't super exploitable. Thanks for the work you've already put in, btw.

Best of luck!

Does this work with any weapon, regardless of mod or source? If it works with Bard weapons from Thorium it'll be valuable to me.

Also: It'd be pretty easy to stock up on items and just upgrade big weapons. How about making higher tier and higher damage weapons cost more jewels to upgrade? Also, though this might take tons of coding experience: How about programming in affixes of some sort? It could split the chances on each upgrade to either be a straight damage up or an utility affix like extra attack speed, extra knockback, more projectiles and so on.

Can you make that item's speed is also slightly upgraded? This is in theory the most interesting part because it changes how weapon works not just it damage and still (I am sure) easy to implement

Haven't played Terraria in a while, but this is a good opportunity for me to put a good opinion on an upgrade system. It only depends on how much effort you're willing to put into the mod, but here you go:

When I think about an upgrade system, I think about a tiered system that grows with time so you need to constantly acquire new items. The most interesting approach would be that you need to craft the item rather than kill mobs to get the upgrade stone. Drops get annoying really quickly and can be abused if you have patience. If you need to craft the item, it sits on a "You gotta go pick these items and work for it," kinda deal.

So I'd suggest that that the player should craft the crafting materials in a tiered manner, starting with common everyday materials, like wood. So say you use 20 wood and 5 silk to create a "White-Tier Upgrade Slate" or something to that effect, which allows you to upgrade items which ORIGINAL rarity are White.

Then, to get to the next tier you'd put in some Copper/Tin and Iron/Lead to increase the Slate's rarity to Blue, to upgrade blue items. Then some Silver/Tungsten and Gold/Platinum to upgrade to the next tier, being Green, and so on. Of course, these are just coarse examples, you can use other more interesting items to make the upgrade item; I just used easy examples.

Of course, so it isn't a hassle, you'd be able to craft each slate individually using a slightly more expensive recipe instead of upgrading your slate, so you're not harvesting wood right before the Moon Lord to make some high tier slates.

When you get to around a third of the way (say +3/+4 or so if the cap is +10), the item has a small chance to decrease its upgrade grade. When you get around two-thirds of the way (maybe around +7/+8 or so), it has a chance to downgrade twice in a row. You can think of some other drawbacks the higher you upgrade, these are just examples.

Next, when it comes to the upgrading process itself, the slate that matches the item's rarity would have an initial 100% chance to upgrade the item, decreasing over a steadily rate the more you upgrade it, depending on how many upgrades you want to set as the ceiling. If you use the next tier, however, the chances are higher. For example, if you use a Blue-Tier Slate to upgrade a White-Tier item, the chance would be naturally higher.

A small problem shows up when you talk about Rainbow Rarity, as it's hard to balance out an item to upgrade any Rainbow-Rarity item. I'd probably do something where Rainbow-Rarities can use any Slate with a small chance of success, that increases periodically as the Slates get better, so to get a +10 Rainbow-Rarity you'd need to progress naturally through the game since they're basically equal in how useful they are.

Catalysts would be the last thing to talk about. Probably use Gems as Catalysts with different effects:

Ruby: Small chance to not consume an upgrade Slate.
Sapphire: Prevents upgrade grade decrease.
Emerald: Increase the chance of the upgrade working.
Amethyst: Small chance to upgrade the item twice in a row (half the chance to upgrade once).
Topaz: Allows a lower tier slate (one tier) to be used instead of an on tier one.
Diamond: Decreases the change of the upgrade working, but you don't use slates (upgrade can still fail or get degrade).
Amber: Increases the chance of the upgrade working by a lot (never to 100%), but if it fails the item resets back to +0.

Again these are just examples. You can probably figure out better ways of doing these too.

Also, I think that doubling the damage is way too much. Perhaps 25% tops would be best, with some small upgrades, up to like 5%-ish to all the other stats. Armor could probably get up to 33% more defense and +10%-ish its other stats (when applicable). Accessories would be hard, probably either some small defense amount, some enhanced effect or increasing their prefix bonus by 50%-ish percent when +10.

Lastly, mod support is a big thing. Some mods introduce new grades after Purple, so it'd be nice for a slate that works with those or something. The more compatible and interactable this is with other mods, the better it'll be since it seems the majority of the player-base uses all the big mods out there (myself included when I used to play frequently).

Hopefully, I've given you some ideas. It really only depends on how much effort you want to put on this mod. Would be extremely nice to have at least 1 good upgrade mod out there that isn't super exploitable. Thanks for the work you've already put in, btw.

Best of luck!
That's actually quite a lot to think about. This is actually my first mod, so I'll see what I can take in with these. I love the rarity-based idea though, thanks for the suggestions!

this mod is not Multiplayer Compatible.
Yeaaaaaaaah I actually made this specific mod for my LAN friends, but sadly I haven't tested it out in multiplayer. I'll do what I can to fix this as soon as I'm available.

Does this work with any weapon, regardless of mod or source? If it works with Bard weapons from Thorium it'll be valuable to me.

Also: It'd be pretty easy to stock up on items and just upgrade big weapons. How about making higher tier and higher damage weapons cost more jewels to upgrade? Also, though this might take tons of coding experience: How about programming in affixes of some sort? It could split the chances on each upgrade to either be a straight damage up or an utility affix like extra attack speed, extra knockback, more projectiles and so on.
For now I wanted a simple upgrade system, so I don't think I'll be able to tackle on the extra effects as of now. I'll consider the higher costs for each jewel though. Thanks for the suggestions!
EDIT: Yes this does include ALL weapons regardless of mod/source. Even vanilla items!

Can you make that item's speed is also slightly upgraded? This is in theory the most interesting part because it changes how weapon works not just it damage and still (I am sure) easy to implement
I'll see what I can do~!

Last edited:
I have some ideas for some special "tweaks".

Gold/Platinum Jewels
Made with 10 Gold/Platinum Ore and 5 Gel at a Furance
Weapons give off light, the higher ranking increasing radius of light

Starbond Jewels
Made with 10 Tungsten Ore and 5 Meteorite Ore at a Hellforge
Weapons inflict Posion at Rank 5, with On Fire being added at Rank 10

Umbra Jewels
Made with 20 Evil Ore and 5 Hellstone at a Hellforge
Weapons fire shadows at Rank 5, and strikes twice at Rank 10

Luman Jewels
Made with 10 Cobalt Ore and 5 Pixie Dust at a Hellforge
Weapons shield you with a ring of light that increases in power with each rank

(Thorium) Aquamarine Jewels
Made with 10 Pearls and 5 Hellstone at a Hellforge
Weapons fire a projectile that bounces from surface to surface, increasing in more bounces with higher ranks

(Tremor) Philosopher's Jewels (Life, Ignition, Frostbite)
Made with 10 Gel Blocks and 50 Flasks (Lesser Healing, Burning, or Frost Liquid) at an Alchemy Table
Weapons are given Life Steal, On Fire, or Frost Projectiles upon impact. Capabilities increase with each rank

(Spirit) Tsung Jewels
Made with 10 Spirit Ore and 5 Primordial Magic at an Altar of Creation
Weapons fire homing spirits that robs enemy life, increasing the amount of spirits with each rank

Good luck, I can't wait to see how this can evolve!

I like it, I'll test it out tonight. I want to see how it works with my weaponmastery. I like the idea of being able to keep the same weapon. My idea for you would be the abiity to break down weapons you find into components that could be used to upgrade. For example StarFury could be broken into a StarGem, when combined with your weapon gives your weapon the falling star power.

v1.0.1.0 is released!
  • Fixed multiplayer crash issue

I have some ideas for some special "tweaks".

Gold/Platinum Jewels
Made with 10 Gold/Platinum Ore and 5 Gel at a Furance
Weapons give off light, the higher ranking increasing radius of light

Starbond Jewels
Made with 10 Tungsten Ore and 5 Meteorite Ore at a Hellforge
Weapons inflict Posion at Rank 5, with On Fire being added at Rank 10

Umbra Jewels
Made with 20 Evil Ore and 5 Hellstone at a Hellforge
Weapons fire shadows at Rank 5, and strikes twice at Rank 10

Luman Jewels
Made with 10 Cobalt Ore and 5 Pixie Dust at a Hellforge
Weapons shield you with a ring of light that increases in power with each rank

(Thorium) Aquamarine Jewels
Made with 10 Pearls and 5 Hellstone at a Hellforge
Weapons fire a projectile that bounces from surface to surface, increasing in more bounces with higher ranks

(Tremor) Philosopher's Jewels (Life, Ignition, Frostbite)
Made with 10 Gel Blocks and 50 Flasks (Lesser Healing, Burning, or Frost Liquid) at an Alchemy Table
Weapons are given Life Steal, On Fire, or Frost Projectiles upon impact. Capabilities increase with each rank

(Spirit) Tsung Jewels
Made with 10 Spirit Ore and 5 Primordial Magic at an Altar of Creation
Weapons fire homing spirits that robs enemy life, increasing the amount of spirits with each rank

Good luck, I can't wait to see how this can evolve!
These could go under Catalysts like SirUnmei mentioned. Once I get to the advanced stuff, we'll see how it goes!

I like it, I'll test it out tonight. I want to see how it works with my weaponmastery. I like the idea of being able to keep the same weapon. My idea for you would be the abiity to break down weapons you find into components that could be used to upgrade. For example StarFury could be broken into a StarGem, when combined with your weapon gives your weapon the falling star power.
Same comment as above, so let's see if I can manage to do something like this! But as far as I know, it's pre-coded in Vanilla Terraria so I'm not sure if I can just pull that out.

I have a question, When i upgraded my weapons they had Infinity KB is that a bug?

Attachments

• 20180330180305_1.jpg
    20180330180305_1.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 1,263
  • 20180330151947_1.jpg
    20180330151947_1.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,879
Version 1.1.0 has been released!

v1.1.0 - Major overhaul
  • Upgrade jewels are now tiered
  • Upgrade success rate mechanic changed
  • Max upgrade weapons now deal 35% more damage instead of 100%
  • Max upgrade weapons are now 15% more faster to use

It seems Their are a still a few Weapons that crashes in multiplayer when i try to put it in the slot..." The errors look like this
tModLoader_2018-03-30_23-04-33.png

noticed the errors happening with some Thorium weapons.

Game crashed with this error when I try upgrade Monsoon (Calamity mod) with Demonic or Godly modification (purple color)

Attachments

• Безымянный.png
    Безымянный.png
    55 KB · Views: 954
It seems Their are a still a few Weapons that crashes in multiplayer when i try to put it in the slot..." The errors look like this
tModLoader_2018-03-30_23-04-33.png

noticed the errors happening with some Thorium weapons.

Game crashed with this error when I try upgrade Monsoon (Calamity mod) with Demonic or Godly modification (purple color)

Apologies as purple items aren't upgradable, I completely forgot about them (whoopsies), also a code bug that makes item check it's modified rarity. I'll check on it and fix it asap.

Apologies as purple items aren't upgradable, I completely forgot about them (whoopsies), also a code bug that makes item check it's modified rarity. I'll check on it and fix it asap.

the following weapons based on what i tested were the weapons that triggered the error in multiplayer the last time i used it.

https://terraria.wiki.gg/Ice_Blade

https://thoriummod.gamepedia.com/Talon_Burst

One is a Blue Rarity and the Other was Rainbow just to give you more infomation.

UPDATE : I think i know what is triggering this Error...It seems to have to do with what Prefixes the Item has. For example...

Say i have a weapon like this.

https://thoriummod.gamepedia.com/Frost_Fire_Katana

in multiplayer i placed it in the slot....nothing happened and it has no modifiers on them so i decided to place a prefix on it such as "Unhappy" it CRASHED right away.

So the Reason the items are crashing in multiplayer seem to be pointing towards weapons that have a Negative Prefix on them such as Unhappy, Terrible, Broken, Sluggish or Annoying

it dont Seem to be the weapons themselves that caused the error...but the Modifier they have.

Last edited:
Jesus :red:ing christ. Here I am releasing my first mod all like "It has like 80 items I'm proud of myself." And then you come in with this new UI, weapon modifying mechanics, 3 new items. Welp I'll just be here in the corner crying myself to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom