Do people actually use the Mana Flower?

Do you use the Mana Flower when playing a mage

• Total voters

Elk

Terrarian
Ive recently seen a couple guides relating to mage styled gameplay and most people say that one of the accessories you should use is the mana flower which just doesnt make sense to me

I know that I did use the mana flower when I came back to Terraria in 1.1 to do a mage playthrough because it just seemed insanely useful to have more or less infinite mana as long as I would remember to keep some potions in my inventory (but at that time I was like 11 and not the smartest)
When 1.2 came out I did a mage/ranger hybrid playthrough and I realized that I could just use a hotkey to use mana potions if I even needed them, but due to the magic/celestial cuffs I almost never even needed to use a mana potion.

I just find the mana flower a massive waste of a accessory slot, because in my opinion the 8% less mana cost isnt very noticeable or useful and you can just easily hotkey mana potions for convenient use. I use Q for my mana potion hotkey so during a battle I can simply move one of my fingers to the hotkey instead of going all the way across my keyboard. Although mana potions aren't even that great as the 25% less damage is pretty big, so you shouldn't even be relying on them that much. You can easily have the cuffs to get mana back in a reliable way as most people tend to get hit fairly often.
It's really not that hard to notice that you're mana has been depleted or that you character has stopped shooting magic even though you're still clicking and the simple press of a key (or a vastly superior accessory) is a far better solution than giving up a whole accessory slot in my opinion.

I could understand if you rushed the jungle straight away and got a mana flower really early on, you may as well have it equipped if you have an empty accessory slot, but plenty of people seem to think its something that remains useful throughout the whole game when in reality I find it just a useless waste of an accessory slot, only really 'convenient' to those too lazy to press a key a couple times in a battle

I don't use it myself. Mana Sickness is the biggest reason, the other being that I rebound Quick Mana to Q, so it's only a slight increase in convenience. I'd rather have the Celestial Cuffs, Magic Cuffs+Celestial Embelm, or Celestial Emblem+other accessory.
Also, Mana Hair Dye is great for seeing when you need more mana.

I rebound Quick Mana to Z because I rebound Quick Heal to Q. But it does maximize your efficiency with taking mana potions, as it uses them the moment you run out with precision no human can mimic. It is a bit of a waste though; perhaps use your bonus 6th slot in expert mode for it.

The current meta seems to favor using high damage, highly costed spells in quick bursts (read: not bottoming out your mana at all), which does limit the utility of the Mana Flower these days.

The current meta seems to favor using high damage, highly costed spells in quick bursts (read: not bottoming out your mana at all), which does limit the utility of the Mana Flower these days.
I'm willing to dispute that; a lot of the new magic weapons in 1.3 have long charging times that already drain your mana pool before it seriously depletes it. It's impractical to use something with such a long charge time in short bursts since you're never using its full potential.

You're talking about the final prism, I think? That one actually fires full force right away, just in all different directions. But you may very well be right. I'm all about the summinz, anyway.

You're talking about the final prism, I think? That one actually fires full force right away, just in all different directions. But you may very well be right. I'm all about the summinz, anyway.
There's also the Laser Machinegun which doesn't reach full speed for about 5 seconds, the Charged Blaster Cannon which takes about 10 seconds to fully charge, and the Medusa Head, which is a weaker Charged Blaster Cannon that has a radial effect. And the Last Prism fires 6 beams that deal 100 damage each, which converges into a single beam dealing 600 damage, meaning crits, hitstun and the like are affected.

The Final Prism does have a short delay during which it consumes mana but fires nothing.

I'm wondering what could be done to make the Mana Flower better though. Pretty much the only thing I can think of is if it negated Mana Sickness.

There's also the Laser Machinegun which doesn't reach full speed for about 5 seconds, the Charged Blaster Cannon which takes about 10 seconds to fully charge, and the Medusa Head, which is a weaker Charged Blaster Cannon that has a radial effect. And the Last Prism fires 6 beams that deal 100 damage each, which converges into a single beam dealing 600 damage, meaning crits and the like are affected.
Well that's just it. More and more when I see people using those, they never go full blast, they just do little "squirts" - and that's all.

I'm wondering what could be done to make the Mana Flower better though. Pretty much the only thing I can think of is if it negated Mana Sickness.
That is a fairly common thought amongst many people, but that would make it pretty OP considering how early in the game you can get it, possible crafting it with a late game item to have a mana flower that doesn't cause mana sickness.

But thats a thought for another day

Well that's just it. More and more when I see people using those, they never go full blast, they just do little "squirts" - and that's all.
Well, the smaller beams are good for hitting enemies that are hard to hit, since they are spread in a 45 degree angle in such a way that it's impossible to dodge within that area.

When it comes to PVP, the full beam isn't as useful as 600 damage per hit is extreme overkill.

With the introduction of the Last Prism, I've started to use the Mana Flower - partly because, alongside Clairvoyance, it reduces mana cost for a Mystic Last Prism from 8 to 7, which is pretty significant in terms of minimising how often one has to use potions, and partly because I often forget to use them, or use them too early. With Mana Sickness greatly limiting the utility of potions, however, I can't say it has been really useful.

Can any one comment on the utility of the Magic and Celestial Cuffs? I generally try to avoid being hit during combat, especially in Expert Mode, so I'm not sure how reliable they would be.

Can any one comment on the utility of the Magic and Celestial Cuffs? I generally try to avoid being hit during combat, especially in Expert Mode, so I'm not sure how reliable they would be.
If you're using Spectre Armor, it's perfect. Spectre Armor and Magic/Celestial Cuffs together create an infinite cycle. Spectre Armor requires you to deal magic damage and therefore use mana to heal, while the cuffs require you to take damage to obtain mana. So in some cases you can literally stand still and never run out of mana or health.

Other armor sets may not have as much synergy, but it still pays off since it gives you mana to fight off whatever just hit you.

They are amazing. They restore mana when hit equal to the damage you would have taken with 0 defense, and the Celestial Cuffs also grab mana stars from 22 blocks away. They go perfectly with Spectre Hood. If you don't get hit often though, go for the Celestial Emblem. It grabs stars and provides a 15% boost to magic damage.

I use it while I'm goofing around with last prism when being As Canon As Possible(tm) but I haven't really had mana issues on casters for a long time ever since I rigged up star statues with celestial emblem.

I don't know. I haven't used caster since 1.3 came out.
But this item had the weirdest crafting recipe of all accessories

Back
Top Bottom