Maps Do people find switch-powered doorways immersion-breaking?

ED209

Plantera
Hi,

I've been making an adventure map for a while now, and, like everyone else, I've made doorways that are 3x4 areas of shadow-painted wall, a switch, and a teleporter.

The problem is, pressing a switch to pass through a door doesn't seem natural within a game, or at least to me. On top of that, you can see the icon of a switch floating in front of you:

1624895251716.png

So, I've utilised a mechanic I came up with on console (which I invented to stop the yellow squares being visible in my doorways).

This mechanic allows the player to stand in front of the door and press "up", which then takes them - very quickly - though a relay station, before they end up on the other side. But, this takes some getting used to, as you can get stuck if you aren't lined up properly.

So, my question is; do people who play other people's maps like trying new things? Or is it best to stick to what they're used to, even if it's considered immersion-breaking?

Usually I see people using a pressure plate to activate the teleporter, though I don't think that can collide with the teleporter itself, it can be placed on top though.

As for your actual question:
It's fun to see people trying unique stuff, that's one of the things that makes adventure maps special.
But you should make sure that it's properly taught to them (e.g. through signs), and that you shouldn't make it more complex for the player than it should be.
You want to avoid players getting stuck in your map, only because they can't figure out how the door works.

Usually I see people using a pressure plate to activate the teleporter, though I don't think that can collide with the teleporter itself, it can be placed on top though.

As for your actual question:
It's fun to see people trying unique stuff, that's one of the things that makes adventure maps special.
But you should make sure that it's properly taught to them (e.g. through signs), and that you shouldn't make it more complex for the player than it should be.
You want to avoid players getting stuck in your map, only because they can't figure out how the door works.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Pressure plates don't work in this map as some doors need to be walked past.

Back
Top Bottom