PC Do Trees grow under Glass Tiles?

Skkkitzo

Terrarian
As the title suggests, do trees grow (from saplings) under Glass blocks? The wiki says they can't grow underground, but Im not exactly underground ^w^. I have been waiting ~30 minutes and still not a single tree has grown. So my guess is no? But if anyone knows, please let me know. :D

Screenshot is attached.

P.s. Yes I know that trees cant grow next to torches and stuff :p

Attachments

• Capture 2016-01-05 12_54_08.png
    Capture 2016-01-05 12_54_08.png
    340.8 KB · Views: 604
They should, try making the glass ceiling higher, and keep making it higher until trees grow. I had the same issue when I made tree farms, built on top of my palm tree farm, found out that despite palm trees never growing over a certain height, I still needed a certain amount of clearance for them to grow

As long as there's either fence or no wall behind the sapling,they'll grow. Those trees need 16 tiles of clearance, and you have 18 in that screenshot. As long as you're not in the area, they'll grow eventually. Saplings need to be off screen to grow into trees, but the time they'll take to grow is random indeterminate -- they could grow in seconds, or it might take minutes or hours. See http://terraria.wiki.gg/Tree for more specific details about growing conditions.

Terraria doesn't really have a concept of sunlight like Minecraft does. (The concept of being 'under' something and blocking the sunlight* / transparent blocks seems to come from that game - apologies if I'm incorrect.) Trees can grow under any block, given sufficient height and wall clearance as critcodedtuna explained. You could replace the glass with any other block and the trees will still grow.

The walls are why you can't grow trees underground, even if there are vertically no obstacles between the sapling and top of the world.

(* Yes, I'm aware you can grow trees in MC underground with artificial lighting.)

Back
Top Bottom