PC Do you analyze your new maps before playing them?

Aozgolo

Terrarian
So this is something I've began doing, while I do play with multiple maps for different purposes, I always found certain things annoying about the random terrain generation, so I tend to create a lot of maps then open up a map viewer (TerraMap) and look for specific things:

-No Crimson or Corrupted Biomes spawning in the Jungle or Snow Biomes, or at least only on the edges of them
-No Desert biomes touching Snow Biome
-Look for Living Trees
-Look for Pyramids
-Look at the depth, size, and sprawl of the dungeon (larger ones preferred)
-Look at relative position of the Lizahrd Temple
-Look for decent sized ocean, at least one
-Look for weird terraforming anomalies (like the ocean being much higher elevation than the rest of the map)
-Count number of Sky Islands
-Look for cool terrain features like big hills and deep valleys or large lakes

Obviously a map doesn't need to pass every check to be used but I do spend a lot of time making new maps and analyzing them so that when I play I have the most fun with them. I guess it's kind of cheating but I'm looking at a bigger picture of what it has and not really where secrets or special items are.

Do you analyze your maps before you play them? Either with a map viewer or just going in-game and running from end to end? What things do you look for?

No. But if it's some world where i will play for a long while, I will just make a new one if there's corruption or crimson really close to spawn.

I sometimes do this.

However, my main 1.3 world where I'm still not finished with the playthrough is the first one I generated, and I didn't look at it at all and just started exploring. It's a medium world with two pyramids, a complete living tree and two of three shrines containing enchanted swords. The pregenerated minecart system was often easy to connect, so I have an extensive network. Actually, it was so good that I thought the game would always generate a new start very close to the end of a track, so I would only have to look a bit around to get the next connection. Obviously, that's not the case, but I seemed to have been lucky. The only thing I noticed missing is Flower Boots. Big deal.

This means that when I look at newly generated files with a viewer, I"m most of the time disappointed, because they are nearly always worse than what I got without looking.

I always bring in my end game character and fly end to end. I look for some of the things you mentioned too. I like having an interesting landscape to work with especially.

I usually don't check them, with the exception of my own world. But I created that with someone's custom made world generator to make sure corruption and crimson areas were as small as possible. (Yeah, that generator could generate both in one world.)
The only thing that matters to me is not having corruption/crimson all over the place, to have as much natural soil as possible to build on. :)

I don't much care about the looks of farm worlds and multiplayer maps.

I usually don't check worlds on new playthroughs, however if I encounter anything particularly nasty or unfair, I'll just dump the world and make another one, stuff like evil biomes near the center, underground desert right near the starting location, etc.

Though the number of worlds lately that have a very small and very NOT flat center forest near the center is getting annoying... it's hard to find any decent amount of wood for the beginning of the game and there's very little room to build houses. That's like... the last 3 maps I've made were like that.

Always, always. Not with a map editor, but I'll travel left and right as far as I can before getting killed with the starting character. I have 2,112 points to consider before keeping a world.
  • Must be crimson. The loading screen has helped make this so much easier.
  • Natural spawn must be flat and not "craggly" (as I call it) with those suspended hillsides.
  • Snow biome must be near natural spawn.
  • Crimson cannot be next to snow as it so often loves to do.
  • Crimson cannot be too close to spawn.
  • Living trees and pyramids are bonuses, but not mandatory.

Just curious, why must be Crimson?
I'm clumsy and fall down the Corruption chasms too easily in early game. :D

But truly, I find Crimson much easier. It's got the dome that contains its chasms so I can traverse it much easier. It's open and has a built in huge area to make into an arena for the Brain instead of the narrowness of Corruption. Plus I love Vampire Knives.

My only regret for always choosing Crimson is that I can't naturally craft Thorns Potions anymore, as they take Worm Teeth to make.

But truly, I find Crimson much easier. It's got the dome that contains its chasms so I can traverse it much easier. It's open and has a built in huge area to make into an arena for the Brain instead of the narrowness of Corruption. Plus I love Vampire Knives.

My only regret for always choosing Crimson is that I can't naturally craft Thorns Potions anymore, as they take Worm Teeth to make.

Grab some Ebonstone from a Corruption world, and create an underground Corruption area on your Crimson world that worms will spawn in, and you can get your Worm Teeth.

Also, as far as traversal issues go, simply build wood platforms over the mouths of the chasms. You'll never fall into another chasm accidentally ever again.

Advantages of a Corruption World:

1). much, Much, MUCH easier to get a Blindfold in. If you set up a Corruption Desert, you got no less than 3 different enemies that can drop a Blindfold: Dark Mummies, the flying slimes, and the slimes on the ground all drop Blindfolds.

2). You can also farm Vitamins here, as the Corruptors drop them (in a Crimson World, you need to go deep underground to get the Floaty Gross to spawn).

3). The EoW is way easier than the BoC (even with the narrow passages).

4). The Vilethorn is the first weapon obtainable that goes through solid walls.

5). Band of Starpower is used to make a ridiculously awesome accessory for magic users.

So you probably wanna keep at least one Corruption world around for some of these goodies.

Grab some Ebonstone from a Corruption world, and create an underground Corruption area on your Crimson world that worms will spawn in, and you can get your Worm Teeth.

Also, as far as traversal issues go, simply build wood platforms over the mouths of the chasms. You'll never fall into another chasm accidentally ever again.

Advantages of a Corruption World:

1). much, Much, MUCH easier to get a Blindfold in. If you set up a Corruption Desert, you got no less than 3 different enemies that can drop a Blindfold: Dark Mummies, the flying slimes, and the slimes on the ground all drop Blindfolds.

2). You can also farm Vitamins here, as the Corruptors drop them (in a Crimson World, you need to go deep underground to get the Floaty Gross to spawn).

3). The EoW is way easier than the BoC (even with the narrow passages).

4). The Vilethorn is the first weapon obtainable that goes through solid walls.

5). Band of Starpower is used to make a ridiculously awesome accessory for magic users.

So you probably wanna keep at least one Corruption world around for some of these goodies.
Those are all very good points. :)

I've thought about bringing over some Corruption in order to get Thorns Potion, but even though I'm fine with world hopping something is stopping me from doing that for this case. Even with the chasms boarded up they are the opposite of fun for me and lead to multiple deadly falls while covering them, ha. I must be lucky because I haven't had a problem ever getting a Blindfold or Vitamins, and the Brain seems just as easy (although I over prepare for everything). Vilethorn is very nice, but Vampire Knives are better. :D I've been trying to broaden my weapon use, but magic weapons normally don't appeal to me so the Starpower sits in a chest. No magic except for the Water Bolt, I love that thing up until hardmode.

But my personal preferences don't make your points incorrect, just that I still prefer Crimson. :happy:

Lol! That is some strong points. I'm not usually partial one way or the other but for my expert world I had to have corruption, worm scarf! I did end up making one of my corruption areas Crimson but it was on my home world.

I mainly run from end to end to see where everything is and check if the crimson/corruption is't to close to jungle, if the res tis good i'll just make some holy water in my 1st world and use it to spread some hallow(it does't expand till u reach hardmode) so that when i kill the wall of flesh i have at least a barrier against them around my jungle.

Depends on what I am making the world for. If it is to harvest the many varieties of trees, then no I just make a harvest world; of which I have made 2-3 of those.

Otherwise I keep in mind what I am looking for. Usually go ocean to ocean till I find what I am looking for, else I either just get rid of it or if has some interesting features I will keep it. At least now I don't have to enter a world to know whether it is crimson or corruption.

As to a main world, that I probably would generate a few corruption worlds. Just looking for a place to build with interesting terrain features I can build with, as well distance to corruption, jungle, and the size of each. How easy is it to traverse, or accommodate for. I find corruption easier to traverse, because all I need to do is usually bridge the gaps, where as crimson I would have to rope up in a few places; as if I don't do enough of that with some terrain I get sometimes. I don't mind the terrain itself doing that, but when comes to biome preference, I would say corruption is a lot simpler to deal with.

After terrain I look for structure generation on the surface to see what is there. I actually like have living wood preferably, and maybe a pyramid; but not a must. Might seem pretty easy for me to find a world, but the terrain generation is pretty random; so it could take a RNG route length to find that sweet spot I want to build. :dryadsmile:

Note I don't usually delete very many world, as to me that means more resources I could gather from, especially the different ore types...

I never bothered to, unless I created a new world to look for a specific item (living wood wands/looms come to mind). It's more interesting for me to have the world's contents be a surprise, whether it's getting annihilated by traps or finding a pyramid.
I still have yet to do the latter since I have not had a world in my 500+ hours contain a pyramid.

I never bothered to, unless I created a new world to look for a specific item (living wood wands/looms come to mind). It's more interesting for me to have the world's contents be a surprise, whether it's getting annihilated by traps or finding a pyramid.
I still have yet to do the latter since I have not had a world in my 500+ hours contain a pyramid.

Wow, and I thought some of my unlucky streaks were bad.

For the first time in 5 playthroughs, I got a biome key. Two of them in fact; a Jungle Key and then 4-5 game days later, a Hallow Key. First two keys I've gotten since 1.3 and they both happened in the 5th playthrough.

Wow, and I thought some of my unlucky streaks were bad.

For the first time in 5 playthroughs, I got a biome key. Two of them in fact; a Jungle Key and then 4-5 game days later, a Hallow Key. First two keys I've gotten since 1.3 and they both happened in the 5th playthrough.
The worst thing I've had happen was my luck with armor polishes. I didn't get one for 400 hours, and once I finally got one, I then got 9 of them in half an hour. It was unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom