Do You Have a Plan For How You Progress Singleplayer?

FAdadada

Plantera
I've beaten the game many times since 1.2, and I've developed a certain progression plan that I'd usually follow.
In Pre-Hardmode, I follow a generic routine for progression that most players probably follow. Sometimes I raid the Jungle Temple Pre-Hardmode, but I rarely do so. Additionally, I favor Ranger/Summoner in terms of progression.
  1. Near the end of Pre-Hardmode, I'd convert a Mushroom Biome into a farm
  2. After Hardmode, I immediately get the Spider Armor and Spider Staff for farming
  3. I farm Truffle Worms in the Mushroom Biome
  4. I convert the Mushroom Biome farm into an Underground Hallowed farm or an Underground Crimson/Corruption farm depending on my needs
  5. I get the Sky Fracture or the Onyxblaster with Crystal Bullets
  6. I kill and farm Duke Fishron until I get the Tsunami
  7. The Tsunami and Holy Arrows basically carry me for the whole game after that.
  8. Once I defeat LC, I'll get the Phantasm and proceed to kill ML.

I don’t think I’ve ever really gone in with a defined plan on how to progress, I tend to just wing it but have habits I follow a lot. I like ranged weapons and default to them, and I’ll just use whatever I find. Undertaker/musket, minishark, boomstick, tendon bow, molten fury, usually ending with the Phoenix blaster and using that in hardmode. Might kill the mechs with the blaster, might get an onyx blaster, might get a repeater or a shadowflame bow, might get a stormbow (but usually not), might make a megashark or a shotbow, just depends how I’m feeling. Might make hardmode ore armor, or I might just go straight to hallowed. Back when titanium had shadow dodge I liked to get that or fish for enough to make it. Then after plantera there are even more options and I might go with any number of things. Nail gun, venus magnum, stynger, xenopopper, tactical shotgun, tsunami, eventide, chain gun, etc. Sometimes I’ll grind stuff in the dungeon but the casters get annoying.

If I were to just jump in a new world I probably wouldn’t do too much with farming, quarantining, or fishing, especially if it’s a hardcore character since those are big time sinks. I also almost never do the old one’s army event because I don’t like it, but everything else I might do.

I never have a plan, unless you say thinking hmm maybe I should do this and I do it right then to get something is a plan at the last second lol
I like my playthroughs being completely random, and fresh

I don’t either...
See, I don’t usually play one type of settings multiple times because it’s getting kinda boring and time-consuming (I can’t play terraria often like lot of you guys), and I would avoid doing the same class for a new playthrough.
Anyways,
1. In hardmode, I usually get a set of hardmode armor, at least palladium or mythill. I really hate farming for tier three hardmode armor because time reasons (stated above).
2. I would usually skip queen slime till pre plantera unless I'm a summoner because queen slime's little crystal slimes is stupidly overpowered plus no really good loot
3. I defeat the mech bosses due to my choice of class. destroyer - melee and ranger, twins - mage and summoners. I always leave prime for last.
4. And then I go straight to plantera. if I have beat queen slime of course, because the teleporting hook is actually pretty good for plantera
5. If I'm a ranger, I go straight to golem because chro shotbow+ holy arrow. Otherwise, Pumpkin moon - summoner, frost moon - mage, solar eclipse - melee.
6. and then... golem, cultist, Empress of light (Cause I'm pretty bad at it and needs pillar stuff to kill her), moon lord

The only thing that changes between runs is in what order I do the stuff after Plantera, depending on the items I feel like I need, otherwise I kind of just do the same thing every time.

I have some rituals, they aren't strictly necessary but I feel like the world is "incomplete" unless I do them:
1: Get some form of summon weapon even on non-summoner characters early for nominally higher damage and protection.
2: Build arenas literally everywhere; one side of the Ocean, Underground for key farming, in the central Forest biome, a box in the sky for Blood Moon fishing, a bridge of opposite evil blocks so I don't have to world hop, in the Underground Jungle for Plantera, in the Underground Desert for key farming, in the Underground Ice for key farming, smoothing out the Dungeon entrance for Skeletron, floating bridge of Hallow for Empress and Queen Slime, I even make the Golem room in the Temple into a flat box once I get a better pickaxe. I don't necessarily do all of these in each playthrough, but I do build most of them.
3: Quarantine all evil chasms before Hardmode so I only have to actively deal with the "V" spread.
4: Before settling on a world, I turn off auto-save and kill the WoF with an endgame character to make sure said "V" spawns the Hallow and Crimruption on the preferred side of the world, then close the process without saving so the world is reset for a new character.
5: Get all available useful equipment at each stage of progression even if I don't actually need it. So I'll basically have a Golden Fishing Rod, Golden Bug Net, Endless Lava Bucket and so on before beating any boss.
6: Build fishing pools and settlements in most biomes for easy navigation and transport.
7: Place appropriate biome torches across the entirety of the surface for marginally better lighting and luck.
8: Immediately quarantine the Crimruption side of the "V" when Hardmode hits by jumping to a new throwaway world, killing WoF then breaking all the altars in this world to generate the Hardmode ores, then mining them to create a better pickaxe for segregating the "V" quicker in my main world without creating even more spread by breaking altars there, or waiting ages fishing for ores/bars.
9: Cleanse every last block of Crimruption in my world barring a single chasm (just so I still have access to it) once I get the Clentaminator. I could theoretically do the same for the Hallow but since it doesn't prevent NPCs living in it, illuminates caves and makes them look cool, and replaces less music, I don't mind it spreading.
10: Place torches inside the entirety of the Dungeon to illuminate it, and remove all the traps just before beating Plantera.
11: Place torches inside the entirety of the Jungle Temple to illuminate it, and remove all traps before fighting Golem.

All of these are obsessive and unreasonable and they make my playthroughs take a minimum of 100 hours to complete, but I feel compelled to do them. I know world-hopping (which is required for some of these steps) is considered cheating but I don't mind it too much, and it saves me a headache.
worldnov.PNG

For example, this is my last world, pictured above. It's a mess.

I usually progress normally, and battle Duke after Plantera, side at that stage I can get Master Ninja Gear, which is OP for the fight. I usually stick to one class. Rn, I’m working on a Melee Playthrough, and I’m trying to get a Muramasa

The Flamarang and Artery are OP at the stages you get them.

I'm usually a straight-forward person in terms of progress, so don't expect this to be very unique:
  1. Build a small shelter that would take less than 10 minutes to make.
  2. At day, venture underground and look for as much resources as I can. Head to the surface and prepare for the night. If I am too weak, I wait patiently whilst cheesing the enemies. If I am powerful enough, I grind for lens. Repeat until I can fight the Eye of Cthulhu.
  3. Head to the Snow biome or the Jungle to gather more resources. Defeat all of the remaining bosses before the wall of flesh.
  4. Hardmode preparation. Try making a glowing mushroom farm and possibly spread it to the surface, create a functioning Hellevator, Hellstone stuff Grind, WOF bridge.
  5. Try to defeat a mech boss as fast as possible to get the steampunker, as well as grinding for wealth.
  6. Clentaminator.
  7. Boring progression progress.
  8. Attempt to fight Duke Fishron and give up.
  9. Standard lunar progression.
  10. Expand my civilization until I get bored.

Back
Top Bottom