Does Melee have any real downside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealSaucer

Skeletron
Mage needs to maintain mana, Ranger needs ammo, Summoner can't directly control his attacks
Melee has pretty much as long range, and has a LOT more defense than the other classes.
Does melee have any real downside? I haven't played melee much, but what does Ranger, Mage and Summoner have that Melee doesn't?
(This is a question, I'm not implying that Melee is op)

Melee has the lowest DPS currently (not counting summoners because I have no idea what to do with them)

And summoners, it's not about the lack of control, it's the pootis defense. But who cares about defense when you don't need to directly attack.

Melee is the worst by far at actually dishing damage, mostly. It also has the lowest utility of anyone for most of the game, generally melee weapons are what-you-get-is-what-you-see, no special effects, no cool quirks.

In my opinion they don't have a downside. I absolutely love their survivability, being able to take hit after hit and refusing to go down.
Other damage classes might do more damage, but almost not being able to die does count for something.
And, yes, having no need for ammo and magic is a nice bonus. They're like those energizer bunnies, they just keep going and going.

Yoyos are the only real long-range weapons that melee has until Hardmode, and (almost) all of it's other ranged attacks have a relatively low DPS compared to other weapon types of the same tier.

To get peak DPS with melee, you need to be close to your enemies. And that means that dodging gets fairly hard. Which is why it gets such a high defense.

As for rangers, you can just make an Endless Musket Pouch(Added in 1.3) and never have to worry about running low on ammo. Plus, you can easily get lots of ammo anyway.
Summoners only need to focus on dodging, which is much easier when you aren't also focusing on hitting your targets.
For mages, all you need to do to keep hitting hard is to get a few stacks of mana potions when needed and hit a button every few seconds.

Melee has a very slow start and is somewhat difficult to control at first. Your early weapons will swing in the direction the player is facing rather than where their cursor is, making it awkward to fight stuff until you get some form of a spear.

Well, I've been doing alot of Melee, so, there are 3 so far in my view, but not big ones:
  • The fight is mostly upclose, which can risk more damage
  • There's alot of weapons to choose from that deal melee damage, so it's hard to pick.
  • DPS is low, unlike the other class weapons
And like Milt said, Summoner's tricky bit is the defense, and the lack of different accessories

I like how melee can give a good challenge pre-hardmode, and has amazing late-game weapons. On one of my threads 30+ people have said the last prism is their favorite drop because of how OP it is, but I like melee because its so tanky, and another thing: Yoyos.

Meele is great for soloing through the whole game.
Mage is great against events (a lot of mana stars drops) and good at dealing a lot of dmg quickly
ranged is great in multyplayer as you can stealth while your friends are tanking. it has highest sustain dmg
summoner is great because minions do a lot of work. Dont forget that summoner isnt all about minions, you can also use any other weapon u want

Thanks for the posts everyone!
About the limited range thing, I was mostly referring to late hardmode, when every single melee weapon has a pretty long range.
And lowest damage? I haven't been in 1.3 endgame yet, but so far my melee friend does at least as much damage as mage me. When we fought a Solar eclipse and I got an Eye of Cthulhu, it was better than all my magic weapons at the time.
Should I try a melee playthrough? Do you think that would make me understand better?

Well, you can't just look at damage alone. A person's skill is ofcourse a great factor as well. A poor mage player will do a lot less damage than an expert melee player. Not saying you are a poor player, mind.
Also, it's not that melee damage is bad. On the contrary. My melee characters wreck stuff as much as any of my other characters.

yoyos saved melee class.
imo yoyos should have a new damage type [yoyo damage] and armor type, they are just too good to pair with solar armor

Yoyos are the only real long-range weapons that melee has until Hardmode, and (almost) all of it's other ranged attacks have a relatively low DPS compared to other weapon types of the same tier.
I'm sorry?
Starfury.png
Dark_Lance.png
Flamarang.png
Sunfury.png
Blue_Moon.png

Star_Wrath.png
Flairon.png
Paladin%27s_Hammer.png
Death_Sickle.png

Yeah, you're right...
Vampire_Knives.png

Melee can't really camp either. ;-;
I'm sorry?
Star_Wrath.png
The_Horseman%27s_Blade.png
Mushroom_Spear.png
Scourge_of_the_Corruptor.png
North_Pole.png

yoyos saved melee class.
imo yoyos should have a new damage type [yoyo damage] and armor type, they are just too good to pair with solar armor
Every melee weapon is too good with the Solar Armor. Following your logic, there should be a Phantasm class and armor type!

Melee is my favourite, the death sickle goes through walls, the vamp knives heal you, the scourge of the corrupter clears out entire rooms. Plus, you can imbue melee weapons with other properties such as Ichor.

Overall, I'd say that it's downside is DPS. But once you get into hardmode and obtain Vampire Knives, that doesn't even matter seeing with high defense you gain more health than you lose it.

Plus Ichor/Cursed flame, fire gauntlet & frost armour really add up.
True.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437496756,1437496518][/DOUBLEPOST]Melee= Tank. You're job is to soap up damage with your 90+ defense and chip enemies health while making enemies target you just for you to heal with vampire knives.

Rangers-Take out enemies with your huge DPS before they even reach you. Boss battles rely on mobility

Mage- Demolish everything with huge DPS with limited mana. However potions+ mana flower makes the mage a powerhouse.

Summoner- Use minions to assist you in fighting. Hardest boss battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom