PC Doing a Magic-only playthrough

After playing through all the classes at least once, I can safely say that magic is the most fun by far. With my second magic playthrough, I came up with a set of rules to make it more challenging. Obviously you don't have to play by these, you can change them up a bit. But I thought I'd post them here to see what you guys think.

First, the rules. Then I will show you some tips that will help you.
  • Only weapons that deal magic damage are allowed. No summoning weapons, even if they do consume mana to summon. If you're mining and you accidently kill a cavebat with your pickaxe, that's fine. Also, if you're testing a cool weapon you found, you're allowed to use it on something completely inferior, like a zombie or slime.
  • No bringing rare weapons in from other worlds - say you want a water bolt but there isn't one that generated above underground level. You would have to obtain that weapon legitimately - no help from other characters or travelling to other worlds.
  • You have to defeat every boss. Doesn't matter if it's unnecessary for progression, you gotta take it down.
  • You may not use meteorite armour. Why? Because it's way too powerful for something you can (with a bit of luck) obtain as early as your second night. It has high defense and lets you use the space gun FOR FREE! Don't worry, you can still use the space gun. But it will have to use mana like everything else.
Nice things you could do for an extra challenge:
  • Collect every single magic weapon, armour set and accessory.
  • Build some nice structures
  • Create a cool magical vanity set for your character
  • Get every NPC (you could change your clock to get Santa)
  • Play on Expert mode
  • Play on hardcore mode
  • Exclude certain very useful weapons e.g. Golden Shower, Bee Gun
  • Got another cool idea? Comment and I'll add it.
Tips and advice:
  • When choosing the world evil, you must think. Do you want an easier pre-hardmode or an easier hardmode? For pre-hardmode, choose the Corruption (the Vilethorn is a fantastic first weapon). For hardmode, choose the Crimson (the Golden Shower and Life Drain are Crimson-exclusive and vastly eclipse their Corrupt equivalents in terms of usefulness). I, personally, would choose Crimson every time, as the Corrupt hardmode magic weapons are honestly just bad.
  • The first weapon you look for should be the spark wand. This will carry you until you reach your world's evil biome. Before you look for any Shadow Orbs or Crimson Hearts, you should check the dungeon for an above-ground Water Bolt.
Hope you have fun playing or whatever!

I honestly do think Corruption is just as good as Crimson. Crimson may have the crimson rod, the golden shower, the flesh knuckles, Vampire knives, and so on,
but Corruption also has some very useful things. Like, the band of starpower, which is also very useful, and the vilethorn is also a very good early weapon. And the hardmode weapons, example, Scourge of the Corruptor, and the cursed flames spell, are also pretty useful weapons. So in my opinion, it doens't matter what you choose. Tough, the crimson weapons weapons deal a little more damage then the corruption ones.

And if you are in expert, the worm scarf is better then the brain of confusion.

Back
Top Bottom