Map-Adventure Down the Well

On a scale of 1 to 5, how difficult was the map?

• Total voters
The only thing about the plot I will say, is that the "YOU WIN" area after (presumably) doing what the Doctor asked you to do seems kinda odd. After I beat the WoF and then I went back up to his house and I was like "so... what happens if you go up and take those teleporters?"

I was half expecting the thing to teleport me into a spike room to get killed or something lol.

There's actually a secret there that makes it much darker, but you'll need to bring an item with you.

Overall I really enjoyed the map. It was fun to explore since you gave the player enough freedom to make it feel like an adventure, but not too much to make them feel lost. Personally I really like all the secrets you included in the map such as the secret in the "YOU WIN" room and the pond to the left of the map. I had fun exploring every last corner of it and this holds a place in my top favorite maps for terraria. I am looking forward to more of your work.

P.S. Something I feel would make the map even better would be to create some personality for the npcs such as the arms dealer and the merchant as it felt they were missing something.

This was a really fun map. I enjoyed the openness of the map and how there were multiple ways to complete it. A couple of things...
- In one of the very first rooms there are 5 life fruit? That confused me as they aren't usable until after you are at 400 health.
- Are there supposed to be extra heart crystals because I found 16.
- Also, the sign says you should go for the blue gem first but there is no indication of where that is.
- I don't know if it was intended, but dungeon slimes can spawn in the dungeon area allowing the player to get more golden keys.

Apart from those very minor things I had a great time with this map, the multiple endings was a very cool idea. I can't wait to see more!

This was a really fun map. I enjoyed the openness of the map and how there were multiple ways to complete it. A couple of things...
- In one of the very first rooms there are 5 life fruit? That confused me as they aren't usable until after you are at 400 health.
- Are there supposed to be extra heart crystals because I found 16.
- Also, the sign says you should go for the blue gem first but there is no indication of where that is.
- I don't know if it was intended, but dungeon slimes can spawn in the dungeon area allowing the player to get more golden keys.

Apart from those very minor things I had a great time with this map, the multiple endings was a very cool idea. I can't wait to see more!

If you find your way to the secret area after placing all 3 gems, you will find a Rod of Discord. Using that rod, there are at least 4 Treasure Chests with more hearts in them, more than enough to give you 400HP. There's enough life fruits to get all but 5 of your hearts turned into golden ones (and there was probably a chest I missed with the other 5!).

Hey well I am playing this mad and...WHERE THE FRIK IS THE OBSIDIAN SKULL?!?!?!?!?!? I'VE BEEN PLAYING TERRARIA FOR 6 HOURS STRAIGHT LOOKING FOR THAT PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE I FUDGING FOUND IT WOOOOOOOOOH

Last edited:
Hey well I am playing this mad and...WHERE THE FRIK IS THE OBSIDIAN SKULL?!?!?!?!?!? I'VE BEEN PLAYING TERRARIA FOR 6 HOURS STRAIGHT LOOKING FOR THAT PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it's in the spider cave area if I remember right. There are many empty chest there, but I know at least 2 had items.

I really enjoyed your map! It was short without feeling too short. Not every map needs to be long and difficult, so I think it's a great addition to the custom map library. However the length did bring up one issue, so let me do my rundown:

1) Because of the shorter length, I feel that you gave the player way too many upgrades during the map. Getting rid of a lot of these, restricting the player a bit more, would make the experience feel more polished/perfected.

2) The story was very well-done. I especially liked how
the player is reading about the creation of the Wall of Flesh and the disposal of the skeletons while s/he is standing in the dungeon with the chance of a skeleton spawning there! When I recorded my play-through, there was a Skeleton there and it was perfect! A bit dark and morbid, but I'm working on a very dark map as well ;)

3) The final boss was too easy because of the upgrades supplied. It doesn't have to be frustratingly difficult, but a bit more of a challenge would be nice.

4) I *definitely* agree that the "normal" ending should have the player teleport into a death-trap, becoming the latest victim of the Dr. That would fit perfectly with the map. I hope you consider doing that. Maybe add an announcement box as well that has the Dr. laugh maniacally while the player dies...heh.

5) I wish the player could somehow kill the Dr...but only at the very end, maybe as an expanded, hidden, "best" ending?

6) Others have complained about this, but the Grappling Hook was probably given to the player too early. It made bypassing traps very easy (the wraith hallway -- I never stepped on a single pressure plate because of this.) I think that you should put the grappling hook in the chest instead of the rocket boots and make the initial jump to the exit spike hallway of the volcano a bit easier to make up for this...although, Ped proved the jump can be done easily-enough without the rocket boots. I'm going to try playing through without using the grappling hook until I get to that chest and I'll let you know how that goes.

[edit]

7) Using merchants for ammo, etc. is completely unnecessary. You supplied more than enough ammo. I think you should simplify the rules to: no merchants, no mining, no placing blocks, no using any drops at all.

8) Oh, also I think you should give the player a stack of glowsticks, a light pet, or shine potions from the start.

That's really all I have right now. Great map though! I hope you consider some of these changes. The most important ones that I think would really benefit both the gameplay and the mood of the map are (4) and (6). Regardless, I hope you end up making more maps!

Last edited:
I haven't even come close to finishing it yet, but joke's on you with the "not worth it" part to the right. Found a Pinky on my way to the end, so that's a good bit of cash for ammo.

I haven't even come close to finishing it yet, but joke's on you with the "not worth it" part to the right. Found a Pinky on my way to the end, so that's a good bit of cash for ammo.

I think what @Fury was saying was that you don't need the ammo, not that there's not enough money to buy it.

I bought a net from the merchant caught a golden bunny sold it and got tons of ammo, potions and glowsticks. You have to keep a few merchants for some things. XD Also the trash can didn't work, so I just sold my starting gear to the merchant. That's what all the smart players do. `;)

i'm thoroughly confused. after i killed wall of flesh and got the hammer, i have no idea where i'm supposed to go to use it like the sign told me to.

So, as I said I was going to do, I played without using the grappling hook (for as long as I could) and the only place where you "need" it early-on is the fiery lever and pipe area that opens the way to the green gem. That area could easily be tweaked a little (platforms lowered a little bit) so the player could advance. After this area, I played without the hook again until I got to the chest in the volcanic ruins with the Rocket Boots. Instead of taking the Rocket Boots, I "took" the Grappling Hook and continued to play and complete the map just fine. The only treasure that I passed on until much later was the one in the beginning of the Jungle area in the spike pit. I forgot what was in there though...
This is just something for you to consider.
I have played through your map 3 times since you released it. There's something about it -- the fact that it's not too long or difficult probably -- that makes it extremely fun for me to run through. I'm actually going to see how fast I can run through it again later tonight.

I liked this map a lot but i had a few points i wanted to criticize a little bit
1. I wish it was a bit more balanced
2. I liked the ends of the boss rooms with the tentacles you made but i wish the boss room itself had tentacles throughout it so it was more of a challenge flying through it
3. Wish the final boss was harder (whether its balancing or my tentacles throughout the entire thing idea or something else)
4. I read a little farther back in the comments and i also believe that the grappling hook made me feel like i was cheesing everything
5. I really wanted to kill Enoch Hope (i know he has a monster counterpart so after i defeated the final boss fighting him really quick at the end with the closing statements on his end would have made it feel more complete to me (you know the you thwarted my plans sorta thing)
6. Expand the Laboratory a bit make it more creepy if he really was working with flesh then have some of the npcs in cages in there with more flesh blocks and tentacles (sorta like it escaped)
Overall i really liked this map and i wish it had more gems and was even longer because i had so much fun with it, i will be sure to check out your future maps! :)

-Nivek514

I have no clue what the golden chests each have. (I just want to know the loot of each one so that I don't make the [in my opinion] "wrong decision".)

Honestly, I never used any of the items from the Gold Chests, and I opened them all during my play through (farmed 2 more keys). The most notable items were the flasks. But let's face it, except for the few Wraiths and Mimics (was there a Mimic? I forget) none of the mobs are particularly threatening. You are going to die to traps/fall damage, not the mobs overwhelming you.

Honestly, I never used any of the items from the Gold Chests, and I opened them all during my play through (farmed 2 more keys). The most notable items were the flasks. But let's face it, except for the few Wraiths and Mimics (was there a Mimic? I forget) none of the mobs are particularly threatening. You are going to die to traps/fall damage, not the mobs overwhelming you.

I want so badly for some more difficult statues to be introduced.

Back
Top Bottom