Map-Adventure Down the Well

On a scale of 1 to 5, how difficult was the map?

• Total voters
A cool little map, I'll add in my bits here and there:
Grappling hooks make containing the player much harder. Experimenting with other ways of getting around can be fun!
The buying restrictions are unneeded... Never needed ammo. Supplying Endless Quiver/Pouch near the start would also solve that.
Neat story! It would be cool to see it more fleshed out `;)
That smiley face in the "YOU WIN" room is incredibly creepy. Does not need changing one bit.
It felt a bit short... But I have been spoiled by insanely complex maps. It was still great to play!

Reached the true true ending. Then I started playing. Got some cool stuff, when suddenly... King Slime has awoken!
qnAlTRZ.jpg
He killed me (several times), killed Dr. Enoch Hope, killed Travelling Merchant (is it okay to buy his stuff?). I guess I need to restart everything. But so far so good, I was impressed by this map.

EDIT:

Okay, I completed it. I just didn't manage to get the regular chest in volcano, located on left :/
I punished Enoch for his brutal actions:
AxnwIhk.jpg

Last edited:
Hi DarthKitten its just that im asking for help i for some reason cant find out how to get the blue gem. i see it but cant get in the room. please help.

and btw

THIS MAH FAV MAP OF ALL TIME

Thanks
[doublepost=1468261965,1468261838][/doublepost]:joy:
[doublepost=1468261989][/doublepost]luv it xD
[doublepost=1468262057][/doublepost]and just when im gonna be making maps how do i set a spoiler

YUSSSS i completed the map
[doublepost=1468267041,1468266964][/doublepost]Thanks for making this possible. im happy now
[Content removed by Staff]

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah.......
[doublepost=1468314190,1468313636][/doublepost]
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
latest
If you guys want more gifs just tell me! and ill send them to you.

Hey buddy, generally speaking, we try to keep spam to a minimum on these forums, and adding post after post with different and off topic information will constitute heavy spam. If you wish to add something extra to your post that is on topic, then please use the Edit feature in your latest post.

Off topic content is unnaccptable though, and has no place in threads like this. If you have questions about where to put different content in different areas, please PM me or another staff member if you have questions about that. Thanks.

Hey buddy, generally speaking, we try to keep spam to a minimum on these forums, and adding post after post with different and off topic information will constitute heavy spam. If you wish to add something extra to your post that is on topic, then please use the Edit feature in your latest post.

Off topic content is unnaccptable though, and has no place in threads like this. If you have questions about where to put different content in different areas, please PM me or another staff member if you have questions about that. Thanks.
Im sorry i just started here on the forums and didnt know i could edit but thanks now i know!

A fun map. Especially loved the open feeling early into the map. The ice caves and some of the jungle were definitely my favorites. The puzzles were mostly cool, though there was nothing really complex or difficult. Would've loved to see a bit more of those. They kinda stopped halfway through the map. I liked the small secret areas every here and there but not really sure how well the weapons were balanced. They weren't used in any puzzles, so their only usefulness was combat, but for that magic was mainly useless, and I ended up running mainly using the best gun I had at that point. It was relatively fast to get back to areas where you had died, and overall my experience was positive.

-The rules were overly complex. The more rules you have, the easier it is to forget the important ones. I felt like adding the NPCs to buy ammo were not really necessary for instance, or how you can't place blocks, and specify it to also mean explosives, except grenades(?).
-I did dislike how many challenges used spikes. I personally dislike designing difficulty with spikes, and later they even ended up being painted to make them difficult to see. Same could be said about the red pressure plates used to spawn things, but mainly the wraiths.
-Giving the player a hook relatively early made the rest of the map feel kinda cheesy, as I constantly felt like I was cheesing challenges with it. I wish you had gone with another mobility item that isn't as problematic than grappling hook.
-Quite a bit of the parkour wasn't necessarily that difficult, but very punishing, usually resulting in death if you make a mistake. I'm not sure if this is what you wanted, but it can get really frustrating really quickly if you end up spending most of the time returning back to the challenges from the spawn, just to die again. This was mostly fine due to the difficulty level not being that high, and the areas being quite quick to reach.
-The last boss was extremely unsatisfying. I know it was sort of a secret but still, just TEditing a massive hallway like this for the arena was very boring. Also the fact that the eyes ended up being really high up (due to the roof being so high) combined with the arena being waaay too long for it made me wonder if you even tested it.
-Not sure what the purpose of the rod of discord was supposed to be either.
-The right side of the starting area (once you opened the other house) and just walked right, you had some signs saying there is no point. I feel like if your intention was to be funny with them, they would've worked a lot better with announcement boxes. Or even better, just don't let the player go there in the first place maybe? Felt really confused as while yes, you tell to not go there, what do people usually do when you tell them to not do something. They do exactly that.
-I found 2 gold greaves, intentional?
-You can easily get the molten fury from the forge thing before having obsidian skull.

In the end, I hope to see more from adventure maps from you.

-Noel
wait, there was a final boss!? i put in the last gem and it opened the doors to the teleporters to the "you win" rooms and then i got stuck there

After I beat the true ending, I went back to the normal ending "You win" room, and found 8 copies of this room, each one being destroyed in a certain way and with the torches being extiguished. Creepy .-.

Hey great level! I really enjoyed it and I beat it. I'd definitely recommend it to my friends. You clearly put a ton of thought into this and the whole world looks so pretty. Thanks so much for updating it also so that when I came along today to play it it was so polished.

1) Thank you so much for the signs! Reminders to recall and that there's only 1 gold key: So good.

2) On that note: How am I supposed to know which chest to open? Am I supposed to play through 3 times? Or should I assume the longer I wait the better equipment I get? It would be nice if there was a sign next to each chest saying something like, "Nano consumables", "Poison consumables," "Cursed Flame consumables," or something. I had no idea what was in the chests which made it intriguing but unempowering. I felt I was missing out on a ton later if I opened that first chest or just wasted my time if I opened it too late.

3) I agree with what a couple other people said about the grappling hook being a little too early. I don't know if you already put it later and I'm still thinking it's too early but the platforming basically ended after I got that. And that was something I really enjoyed. Some kind of intermediate step would have kept the pace good I think. Maybe the climbing gear instead or a way to craft the hook?

4) On that note, I felt very clever when I noticed a work bench in the arms dealer's house. And then I never really used it. Was I just missing something or was there no use for it. Might have been kind of cool to have just a few things to craft. Like maybe craft the grappling hook I mentioned above. Like have there just be chains in that chest instead. By the end I had like 5 hooks but you could even put one in a different chest if you wanted.

5) Any reason the merchant is so far away? It was such a hassle to go see him but not in an interesting way. No difficult platforming or monsters or anything. Just... boring. It'd be great if there was a risk/reward feel to it: I need more potions but that spike pit is really hard to cross. At least I wish there were a teleporter once I get out there that makes a check point so I don't have to run all the way back.

6) On that note, by walking around so much out side I made 2 or 3 mana crystals. I don't know if I was supposed to be able to do that. I assume so. But if you want to prevent that I think a sky bridge will do the trick. I haven't tested it since 1.2 though.

7) I don't know if I missed something but the east wing house seemed a bit lack luster. Maybe I just didn't have the right trinkets, but I couldn't use the workbench or make any potions. Were there bottles of water somewhere I was missing? If I'm just incompetent and missed all the bottles of water and trinket materials that's totally fine. I mean maybe make a couple slightly more obvious but it's cool. If not I really wish I had more materials for that area (trinkets and bottles of water). I was hoping to have a sense of accomplishment by unlocking that area but instead it was just another (pretty, yet) unhelpful area.

8) I definitely had to come here to figure out what to do after I got the hammer. Maybe if the sign just said something about coming back HERE. I had no idea if I was supposed to use it in the house or the ending 1 room. I just wrecked the house and starting area instead just looking for something to use the hammer on because I didn't recognize the receiver switch.

Well those are my thoughts. Feel free to reject them of course but I tried to just provide some simple pointers and things I'd appreciate playing it again for the first time.

Wait a second! Wait! There is a room next to the ending room. How do you get there? I scanned the entire underworld layer and there is NO way to get there! Where is the teleporter to that room!?! I must know or else the map will never be done!
[doublepost=1474754826,1474754660][/doublepost]AND what do you do with the hammer? the sign says you do something with it!

Wait a second! Wait! There is a room next to the ending room. How do you get there? I scanned the entire underworld layer and there is NO way to get there! Where is the teleporter to that room!?! I must know or else the map will never be done!
[doublepost=1474754826,1474754660][/doublepost]AND what do you do with the hammer? the sign says you do something with it!

There's a way to get there. You need an item for it.

The hammer is used on the wall in order to shoot the button.

Back
Top Bottom